Bangkok Bank not letting foreigners have ibanking or phone app anymore?

37 minutes ago, Sojuncoke said:

no they are saying they wont let you sign up for ibanking or phone app without a work permit now

This was certainly the case some years back when I got internet banking, did we go through a period where you could have internet banking with no WP?

I've never had a work permit (just a retirement visa/extension of stay) and have had Bangkok Bank ibanking for over 8 years now.

I expect the bank's response was kinda like how some branches say you need a work permit to open a bank account but you don't need it as there are other ways.  Same applies regarding ibanking requirements.  

Below Bangkok Bank webpage/partial snapshot shows the requirements to get ibanking.  Having a work permit is only one way....other ways exists.  See webpage for full details.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/OnlineBanking/PersonalBanking/iBanking/BualuangiBanking/HowtoApply/Pages/Default.aspx

Capture.JPG

9 minutes ago, Sojuncoke said:

I will email them and send that link. thanks

Have you tried setting up ibanking via the ATM application method yet?

Here's Bangkok Bank instructions on how to do it.  It just may work for you.  Otherwise, you'll need to go back to the branch you applied for your bank account at and apply for ibanking there.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/OnlineBanking/PersonalBanking/iBanking/BualuangiBanking/HowtoApply/Pages/ApplyviaATM.aspx

25 minutes ago, Pib said:

Have you tried setting up ibanking via the ATM application method yet?

Here's Bangkok Bank instructions on how to do it.  It just may work for you.  Otherwise, you'll need to go back to the branch you applied for your bank account at and apply for ibanking there.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/OnlineBanking/PersonalBanking/iBanking/BualuangiBanking/HowtoApply/Pages/ApplyviaATM.aspx

yeah that was the first thing I tried. I saw that link and tried at the ATM and it wont let me

The OP does not give information on his visa/extension status?

In the past there WAS information on the Bangkok Bank site which showed that persons on tourist visa or visa exempt entry will not get internet banking access.

WAS: just can't find it anymore :whistling:

But in the "Required Documents" you still see exact distinctions on the visa/residency status.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Account.aspx

And this "letter" for opening an account exists as a requirement for quite long.

Then you must apply at the bank.  During the bank account opening they coded the account not authorized ibanking.  You'll need to go to the branch you opened the bank account at in order to request/get ibanking approval.   Go with a printout, in Thai and English, from the Bangkok Bank website showing you have the req'd type of visa/other documentation to authorize ibanking.   A work permit is not req'd; other docs also are acceptable.

12 hours ago, Sojuncoke said:

The branch (where I opened the account) actually looked up my bank account number and told me the account wasnt able to use ibanking. 

I had the same problem years back when I applied for Internet Banking. When Bangkok Bank opens a new account it can be registered as a resident account or a non-resident account, and if your account is registered as a non-resident account it is not possible to register for Internet Banking (not only is it not possible to register via ATM, but your branch is also unable to do it). To make that possible your account first have to be re-classified as a resident account.

It took Bangkok Bank several attempts and about three months to successfully change my account so I could have Internet Banking, and it probably would never have happened if it hadn't been for the help of two foreign Bangkok Bank employees (Ian and Dave) who were members of ThaiVisa back then. Hopefully the Bangkok Bank employees are now more familiar with what is required to change your account status.

Sophon

10 hours ago, Sophon said:

I had the same problem years back when I applied for Internet Banking. When Bangkok Bank opens a new account it can be registered as a resident account or a non-resident account, and if your account is registered as a non-resident account it is not possible to register for Internet Banking (not only is it not possible to register via ATM, but your branch is also unable to do it). To make that possible your account first have to be re-classified as a resident account.

It took Bangkok Bank several attempts and about three months to successfully change my account so I could have Internet Banking, and it probably would never have happened if it hadn't been for the help of two foreign Bangkok Bank employees (Ian and Dave) who were members of ThaiVisa back then. Hopefully the Bangkok Bank employees are now more familiar with what is required to change your account status.

Sophon

yeah im still getting the same answer from the branch when I went there. Are you still in contact with those thaivisa members?

14 hours ago, Sojuncoke said:

yeah im still getting the same answer from the branch when I went there. Are you still in contact with those thaivisa members?

No, unfortunately they stopped using ThaiVisa a long time ago, I'm not sure they even work for Bangkok Bank any more.

Sophon

yea, one of them went back to New Zealand I think it was years ago.   The other one hung around on ThaiVisa a little longer then stopped posting (too many people just wanting to complain to him versus even trying to work directly with Bangkok Bank....and then started complaining about his assistance)...he has probably left Bangkok Bank employment also.   

A person just needs to deal directly with Bangkok Bank such as their home branch or call center....just like dealing with any other bank.  

We were lucky to have two ThaiVisa members who just happened to also work for Bangkok Bank get involved on ThaiVisa for a while regarding Bangkok Bank issues.

In all the years I have read about foreigners having problems opening bank accounts, funds going missing, the bank sitting on transfers for days, or internet banking etc. it seems to me that most of the complaints are invariably about Bangkok Bank. 

That doesn't mean the other banks are perfect - far from it - but BB always seems to be near the bottom of the pile.

When you have these kind of problems with a bank - go to another branch and try again - managers in Thailand are a rule unto themselves, and even if they are wrong they will never admit it. Something to do with loss of face and a wish to walk all over farangs. Sad but true.

Wasn't it BB that refused to honor it's bank guarantee arrangements with Fox recently? ... nasty outfit, I stopped using them back in the 1980's.

OK so I was able to sign up for it. I basically had to keep trying and tell them how to deal with foreign accounts. I came to the conclusion that they are not trained nor know the policies dealing with foreigners. But they haev to send my application to HQ and mail out my password to sign up. 

I really think it might be important to know why they wont let tourist open internet banking or the phone app? What would that be about? What are they worried about? 

10 hours ago, Sojuncoke said:

I really think it might be important to know why they wont let tourist open internet banking or the phone app? What would that be about? What are they worried about? 

They are under greater scrutiny than other banks because of their unique ability to handle overseas deposits via electronic means versus SWIFT transfers, as well as being the only bank in Thailand allowed to accept direct deposits of US Social Security payments

The main problem lies with the typical Thai reliance on face, branches and branch managers don't want to admit that they don't know the regulations so they try and wing it.  It just takes a little persistence to get them to call the main branch in Bangkok and you will get Internet banking and access to the phone app if you have a legitimate need 

And tourists really have no reason to have a bank account in Thailand other than for their convenience, not the banks

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem. I recently opened a BB account. I have mbanking but i can't enroll for ibanking because i had a tourist visa. But if i will change my phone i can't use mbanking it when i am abroad because the branch configured the mbanking app on phone but if i can't use ibanking. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

• 3 months later...
On 5/22/2018 at 5:04 AM, Max82 said:

I have the same problem. I recently opened a BB account. I have mbanking but i can't enroll for ibanking because i had a tourist visa. But if i will change my phone i can't use mbanking it when i am abroad because the branch configured the mbanking app on phone but if i can't use ibanking. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

The one thing I have figured out about all banks in Thailand is that there are no universal rules applying to the industry as a whole when it comes to whether or not a foreigner with only a tourist visa may open an account. 

Policies not only vary from bank to bank, but even from one branch to another of the same bank...AND even from one officer to another officer of the same branch!  It's crazy, but hey, This is Thailand!

Case in point #1:  I had a 6 month METV tourist visa when I arrived in Thailand last November.  I went to SCB to open an account and they said "No".  I then walked down the street and went to Bangkok Bank and they say "yes".  They gave me a savings account, debit card, and iBanking.  All they asked for was my passport and proof of residence (I had a 3 month condo lease).  They did NOT ask for anything from my Embassy.  They used my US bank debit card to transfer funds into my new account, and it was just a token amount (I think I transferred 5,000 baht).  It was all done in about 15 minutes!

Case in point #2:  A friend of mine went to a Bangkok Bank branch to open an account and they said "No"  She came back to the SAME branch a few days later and spoke with different bank officer, and that officer opened the account for her with no problems.

The takeaway:  If you want a Thai bank account and you have a tourist visa you can get it.  It just takes some perseverance.

I gave up on Bangkok Bank at an early stage of settling here. The local branch wanted me to get a letter from the local police to say that I was a person of good standing or some such. The concept of getting the ... ahem ... let's just say notoriously unreliables ... to certify my reliability seemed so offensive that I gave it a miss!

4 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

I gave up on Bangkok Bank at an early stage of settling here. The local branch wanted me to get a letter from the local police to say that I was a person of good standing or some such. The concept of getting the ... ahem ... let's just say notoriously unreliables ... to certify my reliability seemed so offensive that I gave it a miss!

Again I’ll say, if you have a problem with one bank or branch, just walk out the door and go to another one.  Everyone I know who approached like this and persevered got an account. That’s just the way it is here in the magic kingdom.

Long walk to the next branch of Bangkok Bank - about 40 clicks I think?!

I did walk across the road and had no problems with Kasikorn for a local branch (my main banking is done with Krungsri in Bangkok, but its useful to have some local backup too)

12 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Long walk to the next branch of Bangkok Bank - about 40 clicks I think?!

I did walk across the road and had no problems with Kasikorn for a local branch (my main banking is done with Krungsri in Bangkok, but its useful to have some local backup too)

Are you happy with Kasikorn?  I just opened an account with them because they were willing to allow me to transfer funds out of Thailand via online banking whereas Bangkok bank refused to.  I did approach Krungsri and they also refused.  I'm in Chinag Mai BTW. 

Archived