This one left me Gobsmacked.

11 hours ago, dentonian said:

Update:

The Mother and her son re-entered Thailand on 24th May 2014 (coup) and the passport was not confiscated by an official IO, but by a Military office who was checking passports.

A lot more to this story than is being told here. 

Re-reading your OP you say  "They always obtain a UK Visitor Visa for his wife who returns with him, spends 6 months in the UK, then returns with son a month before his arrival in Thailand again". So the wife has returned alone with the son in the past and would know the procedure of using the Thai passport at Thai immigration. She wouldn't be unsure at all.

And why wait three years before trying to get things sorted? Is it because, in the eyes of the Thai authorities, the son is British? At five years old he would now have issues with schooling and/or medical services. Would he be denied a Thai ID card when he gets to seven years old?

There are people here on the forum who are a lot more knowledgeable than me and only too willing to help. But to do so they should at least be told the truth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sumrit said:

A lot more to this story than is being told here. 

Re-reading your OP you say  "They always obtain a UK Visitor Visa for his wife who returns with him, spends 6 months in the UK, then returns with son a month before his arrival in Thailand again". So the wife has returned alone with the son in the past and would know the procedure of using the Thai passport at Thai immigration. She wouldn't be unsure at all.

And why wait three years before trying to get things sorted? Is it because, in the eyes of the Thai authorities, the son is British? At five years old he would now have issues with schooling and/or medical services. Would he be denied a Thai ID card when he gets to seven years old?

There are people here on the forum who are a lot more knowledgeable than me and only too willing to help. But to do so they should at least be told the truth.

It was the second time only she had returned with her son. He was 2 years old.

She returns to her Country in a state of panic, demonstrations, riots and armed soldiers running the airport.

She must have been scared shitless, that I can understand. She was 20 years old.

Correct, the son was given a 30 day stamp and his details entered on Immigrations database as a British citizen (wrongly)

He has no issues with any other Thai authorities. He was born in Thailand, has a Thai birth certificate, is registered on his mothers Tabien Baan. He is a Thai citizen to all, except Immigration. He will be issued a Thai ID card when he is 7 years old.

It's only because I have told them the consequences of not correcting this situation that they now understand the injustice of what happened. They are both very naïve and she is frightened.

After the New Year they will file a Police report (lost passport), then go to the Passport office in Khon Kaen to apply for a replacement passport.

The question is how do they get their son removed from Immigrations database;

Do they approach the Immigration office with all his documents to prove he is a Thai citizen and explain what happened at the airport in the midst of a coup and how he was wrongly entered on their database.

OR

Do they exit Thailand using his UK passport and re-enter using his Thai passport.

Therefore Immigrations database will list him as having left the Country.

6 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Do they exit Thailand using his UK passport and re-enter using his Thai passport.

Therefore Immigrations database will list him as having left the Country.

That it what they will have to do. It should be done by air.

They check for the stamps for entry/departure for the other country  in the passport and want them to be in the same passport used for departure from the country at border crossings.

There are reports of a Thai being able to do it at a border crossing but it needs to be arranged before departing the country by talking to immigration at the crossing. They could try at the Choeng Chom crossing in Surin since it is probably not a long trip for them.

• Like 1

Thank you Joe.

They live in the Roi Et Province. Roi Et or Khon Kaen airports would be the obvious choices.

I would presume they need to book one way to a destination in a neighbouring Country where his wife's Thai passport would be excepted, stay a night, return following day.

Father and son would presumable require a Visa using UK passports for the Country they enter.

Father has Non Imm O ME for return, son returns using Thai passport.

Any recommendations using your vast knowledge?

17 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Thank you Joe.

They live in the Roi Et Province. Roi Et or Khon Kaen airports would be the obvious choices.

I would presume they need to book one way to a destination in a neighbouring Country where his wife's Thai passport would be excepted, stay a night, return following day.

Father and son would presumable require a Visa using UK passports for the Country they enter.

Either of those airports would be fine for the start of the trip via one of the airports in Bangkok. Lowest cost would be via DMk to a nearby country.

Kl would be a good choice since the father would get a visa exempt entry. Both wife and son could enter without a visa using their Thai passports. IMO it would be best it the son entered Malaysia on his Thai passport so he would have a departure stamp from there in his passport.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Thank you Joe.

Son can enter the other country on his Thai passport and return on Thai passport.

If they go to Viet Nam or Malaysia no visa is required for UK passport holders

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Either of those airports would be fine for the start of the trip via one of the airports in Bangkok. Lowest cost would be via DMk to a nearby country.

Kl would be a good choice since the father would get a visa exempt entry. Both wife and son could enter without a visa using their Thai passports. IMO it would be best it the son entered Malaysia on his Thai passport so he would have a departure stamp from there in his passport.

Thanks Joe, so just to clarify I have this correct for the son.

He checks in at DM and goes through Immigration using his UK passport, thus being recorded as departing Thailand on Immigrations database.

On arrival at KL he goes through Immigration using his Thai passport.

Uses Thai passport to return.

Is a Thai passport stamped with an exit stamp when leaving Thailand, for example, when arriving at KL using his Thai passport would the absence of an exit stamp from Thailand not be questioned.

On 12/27/2016 at 6:21 AM, sumrit said:

Of course the son could board in the UK. He is a UK citizen with a UK passport. Why would he need his Thai passport to board a plane in the UK?

Sounds more likely that the mother didn't take the Thai passport with her so the son simply entered Thailand on the UK passport without realizing the complications it could create. The parents have probably since found out that, although of dual nationality, the son is considered to be a British citizen on Immigration's database in Thailand so he would have to leave Thailand on the UK passport then re-enter on a new Thai passport to correct it.

he would need a Thai passport to show he can enter Thailand without a visa in his UK pasport or has a flight out within 30 days

14 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Is a Thai passport stamped with an exit stamp when leaving Thailand, for example, when arriving at KL using his Thai passport would the absence of an exit stamp from Thailand not be questioned.

Malaysia would not likely question it. If they did the UK passport could shown to prove he departed Thailand legally. 

• Like 1

Of course the son could board in the UK. He is a UK citizen with a UK passport. Why would he need his Thai passport to board a plane in the UK?

Sounds more likely that the mother didn't take the Thai passport with her so the son simply entered Thailand on the UK passport without realizing the complications it could create. The parents have probably since found out that, although of dual nationality, the son is considered to be a British citizen on Immigration's database in Thailand so he would have to leave Thailand on the UK passport then re-enter on a new Thai passport to correct it.

Makes sense except for Fleecing regarding a child. My bestie lives in US and is a US citizen based on marriage and having Gren Card for the required minimum period. Flying to Thailand she pulls out the Thai passport and enters the country as a Thai.

I'm told that Thais also complete a TM6 when leaving Thailand.

If the son leaves Thailand using British passport, his TM6 departure card will be surrendered and he will be recorded on Immigrations database as leaving the Country.

The problem then is he needs to re-enter on his Thai passport, but there will be no record of a TM6 departure card (Thai) and indeed he will not hold an arrival part for re-entry.

Am I missing something!

2 minutes ago, dentonian said:

If the son leaves Thailand using British passport, his TM6 departure card will be surrendered and he will be recorded on Immigrations database as leaving the Country.

The problem then is he needs to re-enter on his Thai passport, but there will be no record of a TM6 departure card (Thai) and indeed he will not hold an arrival part for re-entry.

Am I missing something!

As far as I recall, Thais used to complete the TM6, but this was discontinued a couple of years ago.

8 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Am I missing something!

Thais enter all the time without the arrival card they get on departure because the have lost if or had their passport issued at an embassy. They just fill out a new one when they arrive. No big problem.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 12/30/2016 at 8:11 AM, BritTim said:

As far as I recall, Thais used to complete the TM6, but this was discontinued a couple of years ago.

They still complete it but the procedure is reversed - the inbound portion is stapled into their passports for the duration of their time overseas. The departure portion must be filled out and handed into immigration at the point of departure.

A Thai without the TM6 prior to departure would simply fill in both the inbound and outbound portions (or just the inbound portion) of a new TM6 when returning to Thailand. No biggie whatsoever, happens everyday.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2016 at 4:50 PM, dentonian said:

and destroying their sons passport.

are you serious ?! i was under the impression that passports are the property of the issuing government; the government that is currently hosting the holder seems to have a 'right' to that passport based on the visa stamps they issue; if all that is true, seems hard to believe that a professional IO would destroy one

• Like 1