1 year visa turns out to be only 6 months (must extend)

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You will apply for the one year extension at your local immigration office. If living in Prachuapkhirikhan province the office in Hua Hin would be where you would apply for the extension

You would only need to go to the US embassy if you wanted to prove your income for the extension application by doing a income affidavit there.

You apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement. You could say retirement extension and they would understand what you want,

I'd be doing it out of BKK since I mostly live there now, not Bang Saphan. Nice to hear that I don't have to cough up the full 800K baht, but just 800K baht minus my monthly pension of $1400/mo. (or however the math works).

I have proof of the Social Security pension, but it might be good to get a US Embassy cert. of it. I"ll get busy setting up a transfer to a Thai bank when I know the amount Immigration wants.

And thanks for the terminology when speaking to Thai Immigration.

I very much appreciate your willingness to help me out. :)

9 hours ago, dblaisde said:

I'd be doing it out of BKK since I mostly live there now, not Bang Saphan. Nice to hear that I don't have to cough up the full 800K baht, but just 800K baht minus my monthly pension of $1400/mo. (or however the math works).

I have proof of the Social Security pension, but it might be good to get a US Embassy cert. of it. I"ll get busy setting up a transfer to a Thai bank when I know the amount Immigration wants.

And thanks for the terminology when speaking to Thai Immigration.

I very much appreciate your willingness to help me out. :)

You would apply at Chaeng Wattana immigration if you are living in Bangkok.

You have to do a income affidavit to prove your SS income. Immigration will not accept anything else. Info about the affidavit is here: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/income-affidavit/  You will need to make an appointment before going to the embassy.

Here is some math for you. Your monthly income of $1400 is equal to 49,000 baht using 35 baht to the dollar. That gives you a annual income of 588k baht. Subtract that from 800k baht and you get 212k baht that you need in the bank. It would be better to put in a little more in the bank to allow for exchange rate fluctuations. 

• Like 1

On 27/12/2016 at 4:04 PM, ubonjoe said:

Just a different border crossing or fly out and back.

Ranong has made problems before recently telling a person the cannot do a out in there anymore with a multiple entry non-o visa.

You have a non-o visa not a multiple entry tourist visa (METV). They are no where near the same.

Ranong is wrong.

Is this at the pier or the Andaman Club checkpoint?

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You would apply at Chaeng Wattana immigration if you are living in Bangkok.

You have to do a income affidavit to prove your SS income. Immigration will not accept anything else. Info about the affidavit is here: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/income-affidavit/  You will need to make an appointment before going to the embassy.

Here is some math for you. Your monthly income of $1400 is equal to 49,000 baht using 35 baht to the dollar. That gives you a annual income of 588k baht. Subtract that from 800k baht and you get 212k baht that you need in the bank. It would be better to put in a little more in the bank to allow for exchange rate fluctuations. 

Thanks again. This is great stuff. You're saving me quite a bit of work and I appreciate it, being almost 70 with health issues. It good to know that I don't have to keep all of 800K in a Thai bank account and about the income affidavit requirement. I've been up to Chaeng Wattana.

I don't know where I got the idea about criminal background and health checks. Anyway, THANKS AGAIN!

Just now, dblaisde said:

Yes.

Had a bit of a ding dong with the Andaman Club checkpoint myself a few months back, which aroused my suspicions that something was in the offing. Plus a Thai chap I am friendly with who owns a travel / visa run company was telling me they were making life extremely uncomfortable for others on multiple entry visas, but 500 Baht was the going rate to smooth things over.

It's bloody ludicrous though, isn't it, when a checkpoint can just decide it will no longer honour the conditions of a legally issued visa for no reason whatsoever.

It's absurd, and I got a full interrogation there by the immigration officer, a young woman, who went through my passport with a fine tooth comb. She wanted to know "what is your reason for being here?" "Do you have a Thai wife?" (I don't.) and a number of other hilarious questions. She was just a kid really, so it makes me wonder what kind of training they're getting, and as you noted, to what purpose? Extortion? Guard against terrorists? (I'm nearly 70 and look it, and I've been here 16 years and never even had an overstay)....

It's inconvenient, because I usually swing by Ranong for a visa run when I'm visiting friends 4 hours away in Bang Saphan. Somebody here said with Poi Pet it's the same situation. So, I guess I'll be flying up to Phenom Penh for my next run if I can't do the 800K-in-the-bank-report-inside-the-country thing in the next 3 months. I like Thailand, but it's a banana republic in many ways.

Well, thank Thaivisa for getting the story out, and what to do about these uniformed bullies.

Edited by dblaisde
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, dblaisde said:

It's absurd, and I got a full interrogation there by the immigration officer, a young woman, who went through my passport with a fine tooth comb. She wanted to know "what is your reason for being here?" "Do you have a Thai wife?" (I don't.) and a number of other hilarious questions. She was just a kid really, so it makes me wonder what kind of training they're getting, and as you noted, to what purpose? Extortion? Guard against terrorists? (I'm nearly 70 and look it, and I've been here 16 years and never even had an overstay)....

It's inconvenient, because I usually swing by Ranong for a visa run when I'm visiting friends 4 hours away in Bang Saphan. Somebody here said with Poi Pet it's the same situation. So, I guess I'll be flying up to Phenom Penh for my next run if I can't do the 800K-in-the-bank-report-inside-the-country thing in the next 3 months. I like Thailand, but it's a banana republic in many ways.

Well, thank Thaivisa for getting the story out, and what to do about these uniformed bullies.

I'm just wondering if that is the same woman who questioned the Frenchman in front of me and said to him, "I only know 1 word in French: 'Putain.'" The poor bugger was just standing there gobsmacked and clearly thinking 'How the hell am I supposed to reply to that?'

I fly reasonably frequently and the train down to Sungai Kolok is an option for me too, but it really isn't the point. How are these rogue crossings allowed to get away with making up their own rules in breach of their own law?

4 minutes ago, Steelhammer said:

Is it possible to extend a Non-O multiple entries for another 60 days after the first entry with 90 days? I mean if you don't want to make the border run after 90 days. So, 90 days + 60 days and after that doing the border run. Is that possible?

Yes you can if married to a Thai or are the parent of a Thai.

You just have to watch the enter before date on your visa so that you don't loose the chance to do another entry on or before that date.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes you can if married to a Thai or are the parent of a Thai.

You just have to watch the enter before date on your visa so that you don't loose the chance to do another entry on or before that date.

Thank you. And is this also possible after the very last entry? Sorry I forgot to ask this in my last post ;-)

Edited by Steelhammer