Is Apple TV 4 worth it for streaming US channels in Thailand

Will2011

Hello,

I currently have a TrueVisions membership but am considering ditching it for an Apple TV4 device. I'd like to know if any one of you uses the same device for streaming U.S. based channels like HBO and so forth. I 've heard about some kind of dynamic DNS to implement so that US Channels can be watched in Thailand. I'm not proficient in that matter and would like to hear from your experience and suggestions .

Thank you

Hi Will,

I have the older generation Apple TV here in Thailand and I can tell you that most US content is impossible to get. Bloomberg and CBSN are the only live streams from US with no geo-restrictions - available on the older AppleTV. A while back, I played around a smart-DNS service and was unable to get it to work. (Sorry I forget the name of the specific service I tried.)  I also played around with VPN settings in my router and I was able to get around the geo-restrictions that way, but it was very complicated. (Complicated technically to set up, and since it was in my home access router, it forced all our internet traffic through my corporate VPN back in US, which slowed things down.)  Ultimately I gave up.

Maybe the new AppleTV 4 has more content choices and others on this forum will have advice on this. But based on my past experience, I'm pessimistic. 

I will also note that content providers like Netflix and Amazon are actively trying to restrict VPN connections. They are sniffing out the IP addresses used by VPN providers and black-listing them. Obviously it's a priority for them to stop people from using VPN. So even if you get something to work for a while, no guarantee how long it will work. 

2 hours ago, TonyBB said:

[...]
I also played around with VPN settings in my router and I was able to get around the geo-restrictions that way, but it was very complicated. (Complicated technically to set up, and since it was in my home access router, it forced all our internet traffic through my corporate VPN back in US, which slowed things down.)  Ultimately I gave up.

[...] 

TonyBB,

You may have better luck if you use and configure a second, independent, VPN-capable Router/WiFi box connected to and set to use the DMZ of your original router. 

This way your devices can connect to the original router for local Internet access, or the second VPN Router for specialized US Internet traffic.

Connecting using your own VPN equipment in the US definitely means you're less likely to have your working US IP addresses blacklisted as it won't be part of a Corporate VPN Service's list of IP addresses.

Routing through a VPN is often times faster than letting a Thai ISP route your connection I've found. Setting up a VPN isn't hard... there are tons of how to tutorials and videos all over. Just search. I use an Apple TV 4 and ditched Truevisions years ago and haven't looked back. Most US channels will require a cable subscription login (which a good friend lets me use theirs). Otherwise you can pay for things like CBS, Sling, HBO Now, Netflix, Hulu. I've been quite satisfied with Netflix lately....tons of original content.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

If your'e buying it solely for streaming services I'd say no, it's too restrictive. I have an Apple TV 4 and 2 of the v3 which I use for streaming local media (mostly using Plex as I find the Apple home sharing and endless scrolling through iTunes tiresome), Airplay (when I rarely find the need to sling something from my iPad or phone to the TV) and for watching Netflix. For doing what it does, it does it well. But with an Apple TV you cannot:

Use Amazon Prime Video (no app and not likely to be)

Add the apps or links to access other paid IPTV services like Pulse, Flawless, Thai Expat TV or iLikeHDTV.

Access any of the free apps / add-on that would allow you to access numerous streams from around the world and the free tool view Thai channels etc

I might not always want to stay subscribed to Netflix or Prime but I also don't want a box that can't access all the services I might want.

There are numerous options that DO allow you that variety such as Amazon Fire TV, Xiaomi Mi, Minix Neo U1 and, the soon to be updated, Nvidia Shield.

One thing that IS worth remembering is that not all of these solutions support Netflix in HD. The Fire and Shield do. None of them are perfect but the only two I'd consider at the moment is the Fire and the Shield when it comes out. The Neo U1 cannot do Netflix in HD so that's out and the Mi has no Ethernet connection so that's out.

Posted using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, RichCor said:

TonyBB,

You may have better luck if you use and configure a second, independent, VPN-capable Router/WiFi box connected to and set to use the DMZ of your original router. 

This way your devices can connect to the original router for local Internet access, or the second VPN Router for specialized US Internet traffic.

Connecting using your own VPN equipment in the US definitely means you're less likely to have your working US IP addresses blacklisted as it won't be part of a Corporate VPN Service's list of IP addresses.

Thanks. Yeah I've been thinking about doing this. But the other thing I didn't mention is the IT guys at my employer in US may not be happy if they discover me streaming a lot through their network. :-)

I am using a DNS service on my Apple TV 4 and it works great. Very easy to set up and no buffering. 

Here is the one I am using:

https://www.getflix.com.au

You also get VPN service for your other devices as part of the deal, with multiple servers located around the world. Cost is only US$33/year. If you just want to try it out, you get 14 days free for the DNS service.

Edited by bubba

Thanks for the instructive comments.

I was actually thinking of Apple TV for streaming HBO and some free U.S. channels. It seems like some users report issues regarding vpn/smart dns that would make this product kind of useless with what I'd like to do…

If you want to watch US TV ..  Try www.watch.ustvnow.com It's for US milatary and Expats..

You get the basic channels like ABC,CBS  free. If you want all their channels you can subscribe.

Edited by Jeffrey346

I use Hide my ass.com (HMA!) there are several sites in countries that have a virtual US Ip address, tricks the geo specific blockages............works well for me, I bought the Pro edtion, pay a small fee yearly, works every time.  I can't live without my "Blue Bloods" episodes, have not been able to find anything free out there to circumvent the geo specific blockages effectively.

If you use a VPN, you can sign up for CBS All Access for $5.99 per month and watch all of their popular shows including Blue Bloods, Bull and the three varieties of NCIS.  If you want no commercials at all, it is $9.99 per month.  For many other TV shows and movies, install Kodi and the appropriate add-ons.  You can learn everything about Kodi and add-ons by Googling.  There are instructional videos.  Finally, either connect your computer or tablet by HDMI cable or buy a Microsoft Wireless Video Adapter from IT City or Lazada online and cast wirelessly.  I prefer the HDMI cable.

Finally, you can install the VPN and subscribe to CBS, install Kodi and the add-ons and mirror all of those plus local terrestrial digital TV to your Big Screen using the ASUS Zenphone Go TV.  It's an amazing little phone with a terrestrial digital TV tuner in it that can receive digital TV broadcasts in a large number of countries.  You will, of course, need to have the Microsoft Adapter attached to your TV to do the wireless mirroring.  Happy watching!

I have an AppleTV I bought in 2016 in Canada. It works great and Netflix is very solid. I called Netflix to ask if their service is available in Thailand. They said they are available globally but could not guarantee program selection and language choices. Fine, but my question is will my Canadian AppleTV work in Thailand or do I need an Asian produced version. If it works there great, if not I can use the Thunderbolt to HDMIN cable but prefer to use Airplay. Does anyone know or use a North America made AppleTV box in Thailand?

Not sure what content you are looking for but we have one of those Android boxes that stream iTV in Thailand for a very small monthly fee (B120 if I recall correctly).  Lots of movies, all the US series ++.  Streaming speed is fine as it's hosted in Thailand.  I know it is not the question you asked but I have an Apple TV IV and never bother with it ... though it works fine.

It's a waste of money.  You need accounts at all major networks and a cables subscription and a vpn.  I use Vuze for torrents, Netflix Thai (which is nothing compared to US Netflix). There's almost no movie or series I cant get from Pirate Bay.  And if you want US series with Thai subtitles for your GF just use http://www.useries.co/category/usa-series/ which is free also.  Then get a chromecast to put it all on the big screen from any phone or tablet or computer.  Wireless, free and easy.  Done and done.

Edited by ThaiWai

8 hours ago, phuketkenny said:

I have an AppleTV I bought in 2016 in Canada. It works great and Netflix is very solid. I called Netflix to ask if their service is available in Thailand. They said they are available globally but could not guarantee program selection and language choices. Fine, but my question is will my Canadian AppleTV work in Thailand or do I need an Asian produced version. If it works there great, if not I can use the Thunderbolt to HDMIN cable but prefer to use Airplay. Does anyone know or use a North America made AppleTV box in Thailand?

Your Apple TV will work fine.  

The absolute best investment is an Android TV box and a Chromecast..

Don,t bother with apple get a G box look it up on the net does twice as much as a apple and half the price. or stream from your laptop desk top from KODI again look it up on the net and its all free once you get the box

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by charlieboy1

Echo the 'android' open option.. 

I would say the new  Mi Box from Xiaomi is the best of breed right now.. Android 6.0, android Tv (leanback launcher style) good remote, 4k capable, and a built in chromecast at 69 bucks. Negatives for me are no hard ethernet port, I much prefer it to wifi but its one small neg on an otherwise great product. 

http://www.mi.com/en/mibox/

Be careful not to the get the Chinese inferior spec if ordering from bang good or aliexpress.