Mori poll: Thailand ranks 7th in world "ignorant index" but US is number 5!

webfact

14 minutes ago, puukao said:

Which America? The one next to Spain? How they have companies like google apple and all those goodie movies? Someone there not too dummie!!!!

I remember 1812 like it was tomorrow. How did those dummies win that war?

If ignoraniant why currency so good and hospitals goodie and schools goodie at the top

I want to study about 1864 in China and America but I just gottie new iPhone 11

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Baiting post :post-4641-1156693976:

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, mr3825 said:

Ask a 16 to 24 person anything is the dumbest sample . In the USA they don't know their name with the schools we have, and that is if they wasted money on university

"...that is if they wasted money on university."

Clearly you avoided that trap. Well done.

56 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

As an American I know how blissfully ignorant many Americns are  with knowledge of their own country and it's own real history and   palce in the world.

I have to get used to that abd the silly questions I am asked by Americans when they hear I live in Thailand.

Quwstions like , "How much snow did you have in Thailand at Christmas this year?" and " Do they all speak Chinese there in Thailand?"

And questions like that gome from University graduates.

As an educated American , that kind of ignotance is dpressing to me.

That is one of the reasons I can not concieve of going back to live in the U.S. permanently.

As an educated American???

Looking at your spelling it's all beginning to make sense 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

It was totally expected that the Dutch would rank nr 1, we are of course the master race :sorry:   just joking I wonder what kind of test this was.

They asked the same question to every nationality:

Name every mountain in your country.

1 hour ago, Uncle Bob said:

Are these statements really not true then? I know they collaborated with the japs but by whom where they colonised? Won from France?

The Tai people colonized Funan in the 6th Century which was part of the Khymer Kingdom and then the Khymer King gave part of Thailand to the Tai people and it was known as Siam and later Thailand. Later the Burmese effectively colonized Siam taking over control of Ayuthaya the then capital city.

22 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

Ok now do an index of countries are ignorant of the rest of the world

USA number 1 most knowledgeable 

Thailand number 145 least knowledgeable 

You can't be serious. Americans are one of most insular and xenophobic people on earth (and the British aren't much better). I would expect the majority would do miserably on any test of knowledge of "the rest of the world." And I'm saying that as an American who has encountered the appalling lack of knowledge and smug indifference of my countrymen. 

Edited by Suradit69

3 hours ago, smedly said:

I think some people are confused about the literal meaning of ignorance, many assume it means to be rude - ill mannered etc

here is a sample of the literal meaning- lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated

Some people, in the United States, literally think that "ignorant" means "stupid".  

But, what do I know, I use a 57 year old, 10 pound,  dictionary to fact check google word definitions!

1 hour ago, IMA_FARANG said:

As an American I know how blissfully ignorant many Americns are  with knowledge of their own country and it's own real history and   palce in the world.

I have to get used to that abd the silly questions I am asked by Americans when they hear I live in Thailand.

Quwstions like , "How much snow did you have in Thailand at Christmas this year?" and " Do they all speak Chinese there in Thailand?"

And questions like that gome from University graduates.

As an educated American , that kind of ignotance is dpressing to me.

That is one of the reasons I can not concieve of going back to live in the U.S. permanently.

" As an educated American , that kind of ignotance is dpressing to me. "

Ignotance dpresses me too.

4 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Not sure if translation was the problem, but this is totally wrong.  From the MORI site:

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3664/perils-of-perception-2015.aspx

Mori.jpg

That is the 2015 results

For 2016   https://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/WEB Perils of Perception 2016 Questionnaire incl Attitudinal.pdf

Here are the questions  https://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/WEB Perils of Perception 2016 Questionnaire incl Attitudinal.pdf

Honestly, why should most people know or care about those questions?

Edited by aguy30

Not sure if translation was the problem, but this is totally wrong.  From the MORI site:

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3664/perils-of-perception-2015.aspx

Mori.jpg

I want a recount show us the list where Thailand is on. Find it hard to believe the positioning of New Zealand and China especially a closed society like China.

Mori.jpg

It appears your linked list is to the  2015 list the article is about the 2016 list.

Edited by Dukeleto

9 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

Common knowledge that the Brits are close to the world,s smartest ! British by birth, English by the grace of God :)

Yeah. most common in Britain. I know a number of Brits that are stupid.

1 hour ago, puukao said:

Which America? The one next to Spain? How they have companies like google apple and all those goodie movies? Someone there not too dummie!!!!

I remember 1812 like it was tomorrow. How did those dummies win that war?

If ignoraniant why currency so good and hospitals goodie and schools goodie at the top

I want to study about 1864 in China and America but I just gottie new iPhone 11

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

"  How they have companies like google apple and all those goodie movies? Someone there not too dummie!!!"

Silicon Valley depends to a large extent on immigrants and quess which continent most of those immigrants come from.

...without immigrants, there would be no Silicon Valley as we know it. In the '80s and '90s, the area attracted more foreign-born scientists and engineers than any other part of the country; by 2000, 53 percent of the Valley's science and engineering work force was foreign-born. Immigrant founders started 52 percent of new Silicon Valley companies between 1995 and 2005. And in 2012, immigrant-founded engineering and technology companies in the U.S.--heavily clustered in California--employed 560,000 workers and generated $63 billion in sales.

http://www.inc.com/magazine/201502/adam-bluestein/the-most-entrepreneurial-group-in-america-wasnt-born-in-america.html

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Well here's a bit of a twist. Some years ago I attended a large 7 day seminar in China (conducted in English).

A few of the attendees from the USA were 3 days late arriving. Some never arrived. 

Why? They thought all US citizens were exempt from needing a passport to enter any country in the world.

They bought tickets on-line, they arrived at check-in in the US and got a rude shock when boarding was refused.

Some had passports and were able to quickly get a visa for entry to China. Some didn't even have a passport so the seminar finished before they could all documentation completed. 

:cheesy:

Recently, the Donald placed Paris in Germany ...

Edited by Yann55

Having travelled all over the states...most yanks are as thick as......most cannot tell you anything abt there homeland...90% never travel outside the state they were born in ...as for world travel...98% dont even have a passport,most think coz they are americans..they dont need one[i am not joking either]

So the poll dont surprise me at all.

Just think who they have voted for president....says it all

11 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Yep you guys from the US are lucky, you got Larry The Cable Guy.

Regarding the Thais, many I meet don't seems to be interested in the "outside" world so I would have thought they know about their own country, ah well well.

Oh no, they don't ! Especially their own history ... it's a total blank for most Thais of all classes, and that never ceases to amaze me ... Frankly I wonder what Thai schools and universities are for, but when you find out that one amazing rule of the school system here is that students cannot be made to double a class, they have to move on to the next one, that's quite an eye opener.

If a country ruled, for example, that 'shoplifting is a crime, but shoplifters can't be arrested for shoplifting', the whole world would laugh, right ?

4 minutes ago, superdome said:

Having travelled all over the states...most yanks are as thick as......most cannot tell you anything abt there homeland...90% never travel outside the state they were born in ...as for world travel...98% dont even have a passport,most think coz they are americans..they dont need one[i am not joking either]

So the poll dont surprise me at all.

Just think who they have voted for president....says it all

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/statistics.html

There were 131 million valid US passports in circulation in 2016. That is about 43% of the US population.

18 million were issued in 2016 (6.2%)

So much for intelligent facts from you.