Mori poll: Thailand ranks 7th in world "ignorant index" but US is number 5!

webfact

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎29 at 11:57 AM, smedly said:

I think some people are confused about the literal meaning of ignorance, many assume it means to be rude - ill mannered etc

here is a sample of the literal meaning- lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated

If that is how "they" explain the meaning of ignorance or ignorant then they, themselves are "ignorant" about the meaning and or the use of the word(s)  ignorant or ignorance.

It simply means: "You" do not know or "They" do not know and yet to be informed or educated furthermore

Now that I have informed them, then they are no longer ignorant about the meaning and or the use of the word(s) ignorant and or ignorance.

Even the most educated person is ignorant on thousands of subject matters while what they do know is only what they know so far, while they are considered ignorant on thousands of other subject matters that they do not know about until they are informed or educated about any further subject matters while informed or educated in any number of ways.

After being informed or educated, they are less ignorant than before.

All of us are ignorant about numerous matters we do not know about and yet to learn about.

Cheers

On 29-12-2016 at 8:14 AM, Uncle Bob said:

Are these statements really not true then? I know they collaborated with the japs but by whom where they colonised? Won from France?

‘Anu Sawari’, Bangkok’s Victory Monument was erected in 1941 following the brief military conflict between Thailand and France. At that time, Thailand claimed back land in Laos and Cambodia which had previously been part of the Kingdom of Siam. However, in 1945 Thailand was obliged to hand back the land to the French who were colonial rulers in Indo-China.

Anu sawari was yet another shortterm victory the Thai obtained thanx to the Japs they collaborated with.

As for the colonisation, they were a BUFFER state basically dominated by BOTH the english and the french.............. where do you think the TERM farang come from? (farang-sais aka french)...

A number of things come to mind reading through this debate:

While Thailand seems to be a very inward looking nation, I am constantly surprised by how little Thai people know about their own nation and its culture, history and geography (let alone about the world at large). Indeed, as a visitor here you could learn more about the origins of many traditions and rituals by reading Lonely Planet on the plane, than many Thai's seem to be able to explain. That said, i wouldn't be surprised if the same was true in many Christian nations if you asked young people the origins of Christmas and Easter.

'Americans go to war to learn geography'. America also appears to be quite inward looking, yet many people are apparently blissfully unaware of America's high ranking on many negative indicators and continue to maintain that the USA is the greatest country in the world.

"What's the EU anyway?" From a 60+ year old US citizen who is a friend of mine here, in the wake of the Brexit vote.

Ignorance about your own country; ignorance about the rest of the world...and what's probably worse, a lack of interest in either. Seems tragic when we are increasingly interconnected and as the world rapidly shrinks due to ease of travel and communication.

I think the big surprise in statistics like these (and i agree with others that the sample size is small), and the UN statistics about child poverty; is that countries we expect to rank highly sometimes don't, and vice versa.

Uncle Bob asked if Thailand had ever been colonised -  Thais seem keen to maintain the myth of no colonisation. It seems to me the myth has a shaky basis since Thailand's main religion (Buddhism), the language (an ancient Sanskrit) and their popular lore (the Ramayana) are all distinctly non-Thai in origin.  These realities highlight the obvious to anyone with an interest in history but seem to be irrelevant to today's average Thai. I believe Mogul, Indian, Burmese and (possibly) Khmer empires all encompassed what is currently recognised as Thailand in various eras.  I doubt such facts add to or detract from Thailand's national character in this century, but does rejection of historic reality suggest things about the national psyche?