Week 1 house hunting Kalasin

Rc2702

I need to buy a house for the Mrs and so far I have visited aproximately 12 properties utilising a number of channels.

Kaidee - private sellers mainly and 1 agent.

Houses seem pretty expensive and oddly enough I have visited a number of city based properties who all quote 1.6 million for properties which have seen much better days. 4 properties quoting this for 100 talang wah or less. 3 bed 2 bath. 

Led.go.th - after visiting a bank they put us onto this channel which is a site for foreclosed properties. 

We visited 5 of these so far and it's a minefield. The houses are usually occupied by family of the defaulted loanee and it's a sensitive matter. FYI. Banks don't want to get involved if you buy through this channel and there are occupants inside. You got to sort that yourself. 3 ladies cried when we arrived on site. Whilst this is a low cost option I am not prepared to uproot people etc and think all will be hunky dory if we moved in. 

Also something to note, that website above will provide a price they want for property and in addition their may be a debt O/S on the house which will be noted on the Web page under a different heading. 

The best success we have had in finding properties is by driving around and looking for for sale signs. 

Seems kalasin is over priced in comparison to Khon Khaen which has a lot more amenities. 

Not a thai speaker so reliant on my mrs who is far from experienced in these matters. Admittedly so am I.  I just want to grab one of these sellers and say. Wake up man for gods sake your price is beyond ridiculous your in cuckoo land but of course I cannot do that.

It's not all bad the longer we wait the more budget we have so I'm in no rush. I think it's good experience in any event and we have a log of every property, phone number, cost and contact name so a monthly call will be made to these sellers just to see if their situation changes from time to time.

I know a lot of chaps build a house from scratch but if anyone has experience of being a passenger like me where the negotiation is concerned I'd sure like to hear your experience.

All houses we seek out are within 3 km of city or closer and are all no more than 100 talang wah.

I have lived in Kalasin for about 15 years, rented two places for the first 4 years at rates that I considered Ridiculously Low, Then found and purchased Land that I considered an ideal location for what I wanted to build...

100 talong wah (which is 1/4 Rai) is considered the average land size for building an home and decently located plots larger than that, within the city area, will cost considerably more...

Years ago I spent 300,000 baht for land, then spent 975,000 baht for building our 3 bedroom 2 bath house...  Add to that another 125K baht in landscaping with included a Sala, nice waterfall and small pond...  Total investment  of 2 million, and that was years ago...  Over that time we have had several unsolicited offers in the 2.8 to 3.2 million baht range, and a home on our Soi went up for sell for 5 million, within a month someone purchased it for just under 4 million and is now for sale again for 5 million...  Seems that there are a number of people Speculating in Real-estate  in the area, and we have heard that these people  are doing well with their Speculations...

Helping several friends looking for properties, it seems that you can find 2 bedroom 1 or 2 bathroom or some 3 bedroom 2 bath places in the 1.8 to 2 million range, but most are 10 to 15 years old or older, small lots and often more than a bit Rundown....  Don''t forget that remodeling costs here can be relatively cheap, so don't be afraid to consider something that needs TLC if the location is decent...

Pianoman

1 hour ago, pianoman said:

I have lived in Kalasin for about 15 years, rented two places for the first 4 years at rates that I considered Ridiculously Low, Then found and purchased Land that I considered an ideal location for what I wanted to build...

100 talong wah (which is 1/4 Rai) is considered the average land size for building an home and decently located plots larger than that, within the city area, will cost considerably more...

Years ago I spent 300,000 baht for land, then spent 975,000 baht for building our 3 bedroom 2 bath house...  Add to that another 125K baht in landscaping with included a Sala, nice waterfall and small pond...  Total investment  of 2 million, and that was years ago...  Over that time we have had several unsolicited offers in the 2.8 to 3.2 million baht range, and a home on our Soi went up for sell for 5 million, within a month someone purchased it for just under 4 million and is now for sale again for 5 million...  Seems that there are a number of people Speculating in Real-estate  in the area, and we have heard that these people  are doing well with their Speculations...

Helping several friends looking for properties, it seems that you can find 2 bedroom 1 or 2 bathroom or some 3 bedroom 2 bath places in the 1.8 to 2 million range, but most are 10 to 15 years old or older, small lots and often more than a bit Rundown....  Don''t forget that remodeling costs here can be relatively cheap, so don't be afraid to consider something that needs TLC if the location is decent...

Pianoman

Hi Piano man

Ok thanks for that. We found a very quiet road just off Thung si muang not far from tesco express with 4/5 empty rundown houses on there with asking price of 1.6m. Looks like they been empty over 3 years. 1 man owns 3 properties I am told. Then we found another property right behind tesco lotus brand new for 1.5 million. Makes the thung si muang properties look well expensive.  What areas are considered good, Bad and ugly in and around Kalasin?  The university for example seems behind there it may be bad I am advised? 

4 hours ago, pianoman said:

Pianoman

I agree with all that.. I have lived in Kalasin for the last 9 years... like above rented very cheap for 4 years.. bought a small house (which needed much work).. on aprox 100 talangwa.. 680K.. built on 2 story 2 bed 2 (small bathrooms).. lounge downstairs... study (internet room) upstairs...another 1.5 Million +.. total investment now maybe 2.5 M... very lucky to get in when I did.. would cost much more now..   I doubt that you would get anything cheaper than 1.6 that is in reasonable condition.. as mentioned above alterations are cheap especially if you have family that can do the work.. as I did.. ..check out the neighbors carefully before you commit.. count the dogs... the place that I rented was a nightmare with bad neighbors with multiple dogs.. new place no problems.. word of mouth seems to work best when looking.. be patient.. you will know when thee right place comes along.. don't be pressured to buy something you are not sure about.. good luck..

2 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

I agree with all that.. I have lived in Kalasin for the last 9 years... like above rented very cheap for 4 years.. bought a small house (which needed much work).. on aprox 100 talangwa.. 680K.. built on 2 story 2 bed 2 (small bathrooms).. lounge downstairs... study (internet room) upstairs...another 1.5 Million +.. total investment now maybe 2.5 M... very lucky to get in when I did.. would cost much more now..   I doubt that you would get anything cheaper than 1.6 that is in reasonable condition.. as mentioned above alterations are cheap especially if you have family that can do the work.. as I did.. ..check out the neighbors carefully before you commit.. count the dogs... the place that I rented was a nightmare with bad neighbors with multiple dogs.. new place no problems.. word of mouth seems to work best when looking.. be patient.. you will know when thee right place comes along.. don't be pressured to buy something you are not sure about.. good luck..

Thanks Laza. Some good advice. May I ask what makes you think you were lucky?  Does seem a good price btw but would you say you caught seller at a good time (for you) or just market conditions at time?  We visited 30 showrooms before deciding on car purchase and I think we got a great deal in comparison to many cars we viewed. I always suspected the dealer was a bit short of cash at time hence the deal was done quick and he knew I knew the deal was good but he still bent when I pushed for a discount.

36 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Thanks Laza. Some good advice. May I ask what makes you think you were lucky?  Does seem a good price btw but would you say you caught seller at a good time (for you) or just market conditions at time?  We visited 30 showrooms before deciding on car purchase and I think we got a great deal in comparison to many cars we viewed. I always suspected the dealer was a bit short of cash at time hence the deal was done quick and he knew I knew the deal was good but he still bent when I pushed for a discount.

..good question.. there were quite a few others interested in the property I am told.. we got it because we had the ready cash.. others wanted the vendor to finance .. like you looking at cars I tend to do a lot of shopping before buying.. getting to know prices.. having cash ready to buy quickly helps, I think.. good buys don't hang around..   I also think it is worth renting and getting to know the area .. as mentioned renting can be very cheap.. 

There is way too much BS bandied around with land and house prices. 

Asking Price   Selling Price

Knock say 30-40% off the asking price and make an offer. It will probably be refused. Phone back in a month or two, make the same offer. If the seller wants to sell they will eventually accept a low ball.

I have just bought a house which I found on one of the real estate websites. I know it may seem obvious, but don't take the posted price as the the real asking price. Some are really way off what they are prepared to take. Also many of the ads are posted by brokers so the higher the price they get, the greater the commission. I did not buy up country (bought in BKK) but the posted asking price for the property I bought was 700,000 more than what I finally paid.  

I also rode all over on my bike looking at places, but the asking prices for most of the old properties was ridiculously high when one took into consideration the condition of the properties.

One of the funny things I have found from a very short visit to Kalasin, is that the land prices in the  are not as high as some of the of the outlying districts. I have found no explanation for this.  Land prices in Kham Muang are higher than Somdej and Amphur Muang. And Kham Muang really does not lead anywhere so it is not a main route to other provinces.

I plan to retire to Kalasin.     

16 minutes ago, 12DrinkMore said:

There is way too much BS bandied around with land and house prices. 

Asking Price   Selling Price

Knock say 30-40% off the asking price and make an offer. It will probably be refused. Phone back in a month or two, make the same offer. If the seller wants to sell they will eventually accept a low ball.

Exactly right. Spot on.

Apart from the missis being a native of Issan, why would anyone not thus tied want to move into the flattest landscape on the planet??  If you ever have a room on the 19th floor of the Pullman hotel in KK, you will be amazed how flat the landscape is for mile upon mile upon mile.

Or are they going to put a high speed rail section through Kalasin or Roi Et?  But then again, would a HS train actually stop at Roi Et or Kalasin?

11 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Did you read the post or just the headline? He's looked at that route.

To get tenants evicted you need to get an eviction order from the court and that could take several years. It is the same with buying property from the Legal Execution Department. The prices are very good, but let the buyer beware. You have to check out the properties yourself and you are not allowed on the premises. Some great deals to be had but first check whether there are any occupants. I know a few people who have gone this route and got bargains. 

Just now, blazes said:

Apart from the missis being a native of Issan, why would anyone not thus tied want to move into the flattest landscape on the planet??  If you ever have a room on the 19th floor of the Pullman hotel in KK, you will be amazed how flat the landscape is for mile upon mile upon mile.

Or are they going to put a high speed rail section through Kalasin or Roi Et?  But then again, would a HS train actually stop at Roi Et or Kalasin?

Actually there are a number of small mountains in Kalasin. On the route to Sakorn Nakorn. Some beautiful mountain roads. 

1 hour ago, blazes said:

Different strokes for different folks.. I like Kalasin precisely because it is off the beaten track..  I've been here 9 years and think it is a great place to live.. I like hills and the seaside too but I've grown to like it here..  I visit OZ for 2 or 3 months every year.. that is enough for me.. as for the tourist traps here in the LOS.. forget it..

6 hours ago, blazes said:

Do all those valley boyos live there just for the sheep? Or maybe they enjoy the surrounds and relaxed atmosphere.

8 hours ago, GarryP said:

To get tenants evicted you need to get an eviction order from the court and that could take several years. It is the same with buying property from the Legal Execution Department. The prices are very good, but let the buyer beware. You have to check out the properties yourself and you are not allowed on the premises. Some great deals to be had but first check whether there are any occupants. I know a few people who have gone this route and got bargains. 

I like this route via LED but it needs thorough checking like you say and as mentioned in OP need to make sure no debt attached to price. This we are told gets overlooked by locals a lot. They pay a deposit based on the bank valuation but neglect to check if any O/S debt will be incurred on property. I did not believe this to begin but went a 2nd time and they confirmed.

11 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Thanks and where might I access such info? Any links?

By contacting the land and property office in the province concerned. See we do not always need to use Internet. A little common sense and a personal contact can sometimes show up to be perfect.

If you want info in english you can always contact a few of the real estate dealers and draw your own conclusions.

Edited by Get Real

I was told by a Bank Manager here in Kalasin that homes / properties in default were placed into a separate "Holding" Companies. from the Parent Bank Company so that it did not show as a Negative on the Parent Companies books...  Once they have a Sell, the "Holding" Company will commence to clear out the old owners, prior to that they would rather have the property "Occupied" rather than Vacant...  And that it can take from a few months to a couple of years, but only if the defaulted owners have the financial wherewith all to pay an Attorney to fight the process thru the courts..  Let's face it, if they have the Knowledge and that much money, they most likely would not be in default in the first place...  In those cases, you would only have a small deposit tied up until the property is "Free & Clear"...

I think that the best advice offered here is the Rent and get to know the area prior to committing to any purchase..  I did that and spent many days riding around town getting to know the different areas in and around Kalasin...  And always look for and investigate any "For Sale"  and obviouslly Vacant properties..

Pianoman