New years bank Closures

When I was at the mall around lunch time the six or so branches in the mall which are all side by side were just packed with people.....I mean much more than the normal amount I see in their waiting areas.   The most I've ever seen.  

Guess a lot of people don't like using ATMs or just don't have debit cards because the ATM lines were normal; instead, they just use their passbook to withdraw at the counter I guess.   And they heard about certain branches being closed during the holidays....they are probably just playing it safe to ensure they have enough cash as they expect a lot of ATMs to run dry.

Edited by Pib

They are probably about to drive upcountry where the ATM's will likely indeed be dry.  There are a lot of cash exchanged at end of year (as well as Chinese New Year).  This years estimate is that it  will exceed 129 billion baht.

Edited by lopburi3

On 12/30/2016 at 1:10 AM, lopburi3 said:

They are probably about to drive upcountry where the ATM's will likely indeed be dry.  There are a lot of cash exchanged at end of year (as well as Chinese New Year).  This years estimate is that it  will exceed 129 billion baht.

Cash exchanged?   Given to parents? Drug dealers?  They track this? How?

They estimate the same as the tax office does for merchants - they do that by checking stock/production/sales/staff/bank accounts/card/ATM usage at random times rather than depending on the sales slips that are often never filled out.  A cash society does not mean that general estimates/conditions can not be tracked.  And Thailand is actually starting to become a card society.    

On 12/30/2016 at 0:24 PM, lopburi3 said:

Does not get any more official than this - yes they will be closed.  The old law that did not allow banks to close more than 3 days in succession is not longer enforced since branches opened in malls are always open.  

https://www.bot.or.th/English/FinancialInstitutions/FIholiday/Pages/2017.aspx

Sadly not the case in Phrachuap all closed yesterday!