we have had best resturants but whats your favorite beer?

davetrout

I can afford whatever I want but I've taken up with Leo. In the can no less. Visiting Patts right now. Drinking San Mig Light. Seems to be the thing round here in sub-Issan. :)

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/4/2017 at 9:32 PM, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

She is unusual if she makes cold, bitter and weak coffee if she is Thai.

All the street coffee vendors make it like I said, and many Thai restaurants (not Hi-So ones) do the same. Granted the Thai coffee beans are bitter, but they put mountains of sugar in it.

My farther was a coffee snob, but I can't be bothered, and the "Coffee Shops"  like Costa-lota-bucks are a plain and simple rip off.

Now since the topic is beer if you want to talk about it, I'd be happy to give you my opinion, but everyone was different taste buds...

You are really beating this to death.  My GF makes shitty coffee.  It was a joke.  HAHA, get it now??

English IPAs (Shepherd Neame). American Pale Ales (Sierra Nevada) and IPAs, Australian IPA(Hop Hog),  and my own home brewed pale and dark ales back in Oz!!

But up here  in Isaan Thailand  Beer Lao Dark as a treat when I can get it.

Otherwise I think Singha has the best malty flavour of the Thai Macro Lagers.

At least it's meant to be only Water,  Malt, Hops and Yeast

Only 55 baht more expensive than Leo in Tescos Nong Khai

so not much really for the extra flavour I think.

Used to drink Leo and Chang but after being in Oz for 16 months and drinking Craft Ales etc the Thai macro lagers aren't really doing it for me like they used to 

Not much choice up here in the Isaan boondocks though!

Looking forward to getting back to BKK next week, and hopefully a bit more choice - 

Fullers, Kaiserdom,  Paulaner etc

Choke Dee!!

• 2 weeks later...

Stumbled upon a Thai craft beer in a tiny bar in Asoke Rd 

Chalawan Pale Ale by Full Moon Brew Works, by far the best Thai Beer I have had here.

Lychee, citrus aroma and caramalt with some bitterness to it.. bewdiful

It is very similar to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, so if you like APAs then you should like Chalawan.

if I come back to live here, this would be the Thai Beer I would like to drink, ( if I win the lotto 55)

On 1/1/2017 at 8:42 AM, williet98248 said:

A fine red IPA made in a small microbrewery/restaurant in Hailey Idaho.  Enjoyed with a bacon cheeseburger and fries(chips to you Brits).  But failing that just about any reasonably priced ale, blonde or wheat beer available at my local farang oriented supermarket where they beat us foreigners mercilessly.  I find most Thai beer to be pretty poor and I don't like lagers anyway.  An ocassional Leo as I find it a bit sweeter than most.

French fries same as chips? Don't think so,:smile:

On 1/23/2017 at 7:13 AM, sotonowl said:

Please explain the difference for this ignorant  Yank.  Recently I discovered the Texas Barbecue near the Phuket Zoo which has a fine array of craft beers.

On 1/23/2017 at 7:13 AM, sotonowl said:

I just miss variety. Normally my brew of choice is Leo. Added the four varieties of Kaiserdom available to the mix ( Keller, Pilsner, Dark, and Weiss). I also like an occasional Federbräu. Different times, foods, moods and occasions call for different beers. Unfortunately there is no great beer culture in Thailand. Same goes for wine by the way.

It's an incredibly weak lineup nowadays, but only considering the Big 4 Thai beers...Chang...Leo...Singha...Archa...the old formula Chang was by far the best. It being gone for a couple years, my vote now goes to Leo. The other 3 truly suck.

Honorable mention to Singha Light, as it is smooth, crisp and refreshing. Not a bad choice at all for easy drinkabllity.

On 1/9/2017 at 9:17 PM, James Falang Lao said:

English IPAs (Shepherd Neame). American Pale Ales (Sierra Nevada) and IPAs, Australian IPA(Hop Hog),  and my own home brewed pale and dark ales back in Oz!!

But up here  in Isaan Thailand  Beer Lao Dark as a treat when I can get it.

Otherwise I think Singha has the best malty flavour of the Thai Macro Lagers.

At least it's meant to be only Water,  Malt, Hops and Yeast

Only 55 baht more expensive than Leo in Tescos Nong Khai

so not much really for the extra flavour I think.

Used to drink Leo and Chang but after being in Oz for 16 months and drinking Craft Ales etc the Thai macro lagers aren't really doing it for me like they used to 

Not much choice up here in the Isaan boondocks though!

Looking forward to getting back to BKK next week, and hopefully a bit more choice - 

Fullers, Kaiserdom,  Paulaner etc

Choke Dee!!

Never knew Shepherd Neame did an IPA. On draught? Is this new, not been home for 5 years, once a week was in a SN pub but no IPA there.

Singha is now OK, different flavour since they reduced the strength. Used to have a very odd taste, the generally received wisdom put this down to formaldehyde but I have never heard of it being proved or admitted.

2 hours ago, rott said:
On 1/4/2017 at 5:15 PM, seancbk said:

Must suck to have to drink beer based on the price. 

Says the man who says craft beer is ridiculously expensive.

Craft beers taste dreadful to me, so no matter what price they are I wouldn't drink them.

I like a nice cold lager, without loads of aftertaste or hop flavour.

My comment on price was referencing the guys who drink cheap local beer just because it is cheap.   I'd rather spend more and drink Asahi than drink a Chang, but you won't find me paying 400 baht for a silly little bottle of craft beer.

On 2/1/2017 at 1:20 PM, seancbk said:

Craft beers taste dreadful to me, so no matter what price they are I wouldn't drink them.

I like a nice cold lager, without loads of aftertaste or hop flavour.

My comment on price was referencing the guys who drink cheap local beer just because it is cheap.   I'd rather spend more and drink Asahi than drink a Chang, but you won't find me paying 400 baht for a silly little bottle of craft beer.

I agree with you seancbk, i have never had a good craft beer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My favorite is the organic beer brewed by Fuller's.  Honey dew . I just love the taste. It's 150 baht for a bottle so I think it's a fair price compared to other imports. 

Just enjoyed one today . 

fuller_honey.jpg 

On 3/17/2017 at 8:58 PM, balo said:

My favorite is the organic beer brewed by Fuller's.  Honey dew . I just love the taste. It's 150 baht for a bottle so I think it's a fair price compared to other imports. 

Just enjoyed one today . 

fuller_honey.jpg 

I am a big fan of Fuller's (London Pride is a favourite) but if you like honey beer have you tried Charles Well's Waggledance? I haven't seen it here yet though.

I saw a bottle of ESB in Gourmet Market today for ฿152, they have a fair selection including Young's on offer.

1 hour ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Well's Waggledance?

Also my favourite , they used to stock them at Friendship Pattaya,  I can't decide which one is better, they both have a unique taste.

On 2/4/2017 at 10:58 AM, davetrout said:

I agree with you seancbk, i have never had a good craft beer

Once I went to the bar in Chinatown with the odd name and tried their draught Pale Ale, which was very good. But at that time even with a pre-Brexit exchange rate it was pushing six quid a pint and I did not come to Thailand to pay prices like that.

It was good though.