Shower Hot Water

MrNeilThai

About 3 weeks ago I had a Sharp W-33 hot water heater installed in my shower. From the very beginning there were problems. Usually when I turned on the water the red light

would not turn on on my unit. I would simply turn off the water and the heater and then turn it all on again(sometimes a couple times) and then the unit would work and the water would heat up.

Now yesterday morning I tried all this and zero warm water came out. The unit just didn't work at all. I called back the electrician who installed it. He said the electric was fine and that the problem was the unit I bought was bad(Sharp W-33). But then last night I got in the shower and it worked again.

This morning I spoke with a Thai friend. He said the problem is likely the water pressure in my house. The pressure likely fluctuates and when it is low  the machine will not work. Come to think of this before installing the unit I remember  very poor water pressure from this shower.

So my question is can I do anything that will increase the pressure so I can be certain to get warm water? Right now everything is quite random. I have tried adjusting the hose but I can't make the unit work on a regular basis. This has been very frustrating

Thanks

Sounds like you are getting your water directly from the mains supply. Pressure and flow will vary according to local demand and other factors.

I have heard that some people install a pump to draw water from the mains at an increased rate - probably illegal.

The way that most people deal with this sort of fluctuation is to install a water storage tank inside their yard/garden, which is filled from the mains (at mains pressure), then have a pump to send water from the tank to the house. No fluctuations in pressure or flow with this system.

On the islands here in Greece the water supply tends to be variable - sometimes they cut it off entirely for several hours a day during summer months. What most people do here is install a holding tank (1000 litres or more) and a pumping system which delivers a constant pressure, which you can set to your needs. The tank tops up automatically with a ballcock valve and the pump system works on demand. It's not terribly expensive to set up - maybe €500, depending on the system you choose. I know similar systems exist in Thailand, because my father-in-law has something along those lines, although not as efficient as the ones here. Once it's installed, you can set it to power-shower pressure if your pipework will take it! :)

Mr here just jumping in please don't fit a pump directly to main you will draw water in yes but if the water on main is turned off. You may still draw water from a neighboring fish pond or swimming pool if they don't have a non return value fitted. For the cost if a 1000th tank I would and have installed 2 both 2000ltr as it happens these are fed by mains water and then a pump is fitted to draw eater from these a much safer way and with the added bonus of water when mains are off. Relatively easy to fit or get a electrician to do the job.

The problem is a switch in the shower heater that requires a certain amount of pressure to activate the heater. I have an eighteen hundred liter tank with a float valve (mechanical) that stays filled from the village water supply. A household water pump draws water from that tank and has plenty of pressure and flow to activate the switch in the shower heater. There is nothing wrong with your heater. That switch is for safety. My pump is plumbed to supply the toilet and the shower so a 125 watt pump is big enough. You can get by with a smaller storage tank and the small pump so it won't be that expensive. I originally had a 500 liter storage tank but sometimes the village water is off for a couple of days. You're better off with a minimum thousand liter tank. Most days we use five hundred liters so a thousand liters will last a couple of days.

When the waterpressure is too low you need a pump, and a tank i guess.

If the pressure is right but you have one of those watersaving sprayheads you can take out a plastic crown which is in the hose so more water can flow through.

We have a pump plus tank, 2 waterheaters and all can work together...even more watertaps can work at the same time. If all taps are open the pump never stops working, only 1 hot shower makes it go on and off all the time.

In your case i would check the electric system as well, do you have an extra breakerswitch for the heater? With ground cable connected and mounted safe? You don't want to have open connections in your shower cause they might get wet and electrocute you. Also check if the wires don't get warm when it's in use and what happens if the wife turns on a coffeemachine/ironbolt/electric oven or so together with the hot shower...one day that will happen.

Edited by fruitman

5 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Many here in Thailand uses such a system and have done so for decades.  And I suspect many are just as efficient as those in Greece.   The water pressure will be determined not only by your pipes but by the pump used.   

Oh I'm sure they are at least as efficient as the Greek ones; my father-in-law fitted his own many years ago when budgets were tight, so I guess went for the cheapest option he could find. Now, even though he could easily afford to upgrade, he sees no need to. "Well, it works! What more do you need?" :smile: