Starting on the right foot

On the 6th I'll arrive in Thailand to start what I hope will be a long association between the country, its people, and me. First, I have a decision to make and I'd like some advice. Before I leave where I am now, I'll go to my local Thai embassy and apply for a non-immigrant visa.

I've been married to a native Bangkokian for nine years and have decided to go for the visa based on marriage. I've spoken to the people at the embassy and they said I'd need to choose between a single-entry visa and a multiple. I've read on TV of the advantages of a multiple visa. However, I think we'll be pretty much sticking to life in Nonthaburi. Maybe we'll make one trip a year to, for example, Cambodia or Laos. I don't see how a multiple would be worth the extra cost. Would the single-entry visa give us opportunities for the occasional trip abroad?

Another question: on arrival in LOS I'll need to complete a TM 6 arrival card. Should I enter the complete address of our baan in Nonthaburi on that form? On past visits, I've just entered the name of a random BKK hotel.

Edited by paddlinsteve
Add extra information

A single entry will only give one stay of up to 90 days.
A multi will give unlimited stays of up to 90 days each for a period of a year.
If you intend on applying for a 12 month extension of stay at Immigration then a single might be the best option.

BTW your local Thai embassy might not be open for another few days.

So if I take up the embassy's offer of a multiple-entry visa at the equivalent of 6,000 baht, would I be able to go out of the country and come back any time I wished during the year? On the other hand, if I travelled abroad just once a year, the single-entry visa would be cheaper.

I'm not grasping the advantage of either of these options and can't identify which one best suits the life I'll be leading after arrival.

I don't see the extension process as being intrusive and would prefer to do that than have to go out and come back every 90 days. Nonthaburi is quite distant from any border crossing. I tried the closest crossing at Three Pagoda Pass a few years ago, but the police told me to turn around and go back to Kanchanaburi.

^ In that case a single entry type O and applying for extension of stay based on marriage would be best as long as got funds and paperwork in order to complete extension .

Just remember get re-entry permit at airport or immigration before leaving thailand as if don't do that you extension of stay is finished on date exit country and you need start all over from scratch .

You're not leaving a whole lot of time to get the visa as Thai holidays include both the 2nd and 3rd here and I don't know about your embassy's holiday schedule.

If you get a single it will give you 90 days.  Since you are married to a Thai, with legal paperwork not just a local ceremony, you can extend you stay for one year.  You will have to have either 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for at least 60 days when you apply or a affidavit from your Embassy here that you are making at least 40k baht/month.  You can apply for the extension at Nonthaburi Immigration.  The extension  will give you 1 year permission to stay and you do not have to leave the country but you have to report yo address every 90 days that you are continuously in Thailand.  At the same time that you apply for your extension you can purchase either a single or multiple entry re-entry permit.  That way you can exit and re-enter and keep your extension alive.  The extension is 1900 baht, the Single re-entry is 1000 Baht and the multiple is 3800 baht.

Welcome to Thailand, I've lived here 19 years on extensions of stay.

A single entry will only give one stay of up to 90 days.
A multi will give unlimited stays of up to 90 days each for a period of a year.
If you intend on applying for a 12 month extension of stay at Immigration then a single might be the best option.

BTW your local Thai embassy might not be open for another few days.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on a single entry Non O, can it not be extended by 60 days at your local immigration office?

op you have to decide how you are going to stay long term,

if you can meet the financials of 40,000 baht per month or 400,000 baht deposited in a bank account in your name only, then a yearly extension (1,900 baht) with a suitable re-entry permit (1,000 or 3,800 baht to allow for any trips abroad, will be the ideal thing to do, for this you will need a non immigrant 'O', visa to start the process, This can either be issued by a Embassy/Consulate outside of Thailand, or if you enter Thailand on a visa exempt entry or a tourist visa, then you can do a conversion to a non imm 'O' visa whilst inside Thailand ( finacials as above required), as you are leaving it a bit late to get a visa, then maybe this is a good route for you to take.

The original visa is for 90 days. Then you get permission to stay for up to 1 year. if you have a multiple entry visa, you don't need to go to immigration, you just head to the border every 90 days. If you get the extension of stay, you will need to go to immigration every 90 days to report.

As for your question about when filling out the form. Yes, fill out the correct address you will be living and the same one you will be applying for the extension of stay. Also whoever is the land owner, will have to fill out a form and report to immigration within 24 hours of your arrival. 

A lot of people get the multiple entry if they are near a border and sometimes its more convenient to take a border trip every 90 days especially those that cannot provide the required 400k in a bank or work permit and 40k baht a month local income (or overseas income with affidavit )

Many thanks to all for helping me picture this situation. I'll follow this path: get a single-entry Type O and then apply for permission to stay from Nonthaburi Immigration (which I've already visited) with a multiple re-entry permit added on.

Getting the visa should be quite simple. I live in a tiny country. The embassy is 10 minutes drive in one direction and the airport is 15 drive in the other, so it should be a doddle. Thai embassy staff have assured me they'll have the visa ready the morning after I apply. They've checked my documents and said I'm ready to roll.

I've left it to the last minute because I've been working for 11 years in a different country to where I live, having to commute back and forth every day. Thus, my passport has never been free.

While I appreciate all the suggestions, explanations, and advice I've received here, it certainly would be great if someone could draw up a flowchart that would display the algorithmic path for getting to where you want to be vis-à-vis the authorities and their regulations.

With a Single entry visa you get a 90 day stay.....after that it ends.

You will then need to lrave Thailand and get another visa to return

Don't forget a single entry means a single exit to go with that single entry.

That is why a multiple entry at the start is to your advantage.

Yes it costs more but you get a one year stay even if you are required to leave and

return every 90 days.

Being married to a Thai does not allow you to live for a long term stay in Thailand on a visa.

What does allow you to stay in Thailand is extending your entry visa foe one year at a time based on marriage to a Thai.

That will require you to have 400K in a local Thai Bank account in your name OR an income of 40K Thai Baht monthly.

If you can meet those financial requirments you can extend your arrival visa annually each  year.

Otherwise your going to be spending a lot of time in Thai immigration getting 60 day extensions each time.

Here in Thailand if you want to live here with your spouse on a long term basis there are specific rules and things that must be done;

You need seriously to consider having the funds to get a yearly extension of your initial Thai entry visa annually based on marriage to a Thai.

That is what you will need the 400K Thai Baht in a Thai bank or the 40K Thai baht monthly income for.

Try to understand that here in Thailand you are like the Mexican "wetback" who wnats to stay in the U.S. with his wife. but has no job, no money, and "Greencard" in the U.S.

You need a visa or visa extension  to stay in Thailand long term.

Sorry, but that is the reality of the situation here.

I am just telling you what you will soon see for yourself when you arive here.

I am a "retiree" (over 50 years of age living here in Thailand and I had to learn also, as you will.

• Like 1

Here is a rough guide to apply for a 12 month extension based on having a Thai Wife.

Apply anytime during the last 30 days of your stay.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Letter from your Thai Bank showing balance and up to date bank book.

OR.

If income from outside Thailand: Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.

If Income from Thailand: Statements showing Income Tax receipts.

Marriage Certificate. (Kor Ror 3)

Marriage Registry entry. (Kor Ror 2)

Wife's Tabbien Baan and ID Card.

Your Passport.

Copies of everything.

Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house.

A map showing the way to your house.

Passport size photos and 1,900 Baht fee.

Take your Wife to be interviewed.

One or two witnesses may be required.

You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Go back in a month and get the remainder.

27 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

Here is a rough guide to apply for a 12 month extension based on having a Thai Wife.

Apply anytime during the last 30 days of your stay.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Letter from your Thai Bank showing balance and up to date bank book.

OR.

If income from outside Thailand: Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.

If Income from Thailand: Statements showing Income Tax receipts.

Marriage Certificate. (Kor Ror 3)

Marriage Registry entry. (Kor Ror 2)

Wife's Tabbien Baan and ID Card.

Your Passport.

Copies of everything.

Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house.

A map showing the way to your house.

Passport size photos and 1,900 Baht fee.

Take your Wife to be interviewed.

One or two witnesses may be required.

You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Go back in a month and get the remainder.

My wife and I's marriage was registered in Amphoe Dusit in 2007. Do these marriage documents need to be updated? Or can I simply present them just as they were issued back then?

Emm . . . what did you mean by the last statement; 'Go back in a month and get the remainder'? Will they keep my passport while the extension application is under consideration?

3 minutes ago, paddlinsteve said:

My wife and I's marriage was registered in Amphoe Dusit in 2007. Do these marriage documents need to be updated? Or can I simply present them just as they were issued back then?

Emm . . . what did you mean by the last statement; 'Go back in a month and get the remainder'? Will they keep my passport while the extension application is under consideration?

The only document that needs to be updated is the Kor Ror 2 marriage registry. A print out of it can be obtained at any Amphoe for a fee of 20 baht. All your wife would need to get it would be her ID card.

You are given a under consideration stamp in your passport with a report back date 30 days from the date you apply for the extension or from when your current permit to stay ends dependent upon where you apply. They will give your passport back to you.

Your clarification concerning the Kor Ror 2 is noted. Thanks.

IMA_FARANG's statement has puzzled me: "With a Single entry visa you get a 90 day stay.....after that it ends.

Don't forget a single entry means a single exit to go with that single entry."

3 minutes ago, paddlinsteve said:

Your clarification concerning the Kor Ror 2 is noted. Thanks.

IMA_FARANG's statement has puzzled me: "With a Single entry visa you get a 90 day stay.....after that it ends.

Don't forget a single entry means a single exit to go with that single entry."

Don't worry about what he wrote. That only applies if you don't apply for an extension.

Make sure that one of the photos has both you and your wife in front of the address of the house.  They also like to have pictures of you in the bedroom but I find that too personal and have other photos instead.  They can be difficult in some provinces. You will need 2 photocopies of everything if you don't live in BKK.  After you get the first 30 day temporary approval they will come out to your house and interview your neighbors. Make sure that you tell your neighbors ahead of time. They will need a copy of their ID. 

Make sure you deposit the money in the bank early from overseas wire. They don't usually like when it is done in Cash deposit, they question it sometimes. Or have tax papers and your local thai work permit and a copy of your contract.

If you have kids living with you, they will need to come to the interview also. 

In CM it is a nuisance and you have to go as early as 3 AM to queue. its absurd.

An option:

IF you have the money ( 800,00Bt ) and can afford to keep it in the bank at least 4 months a year ( 1 month safety net ) AND you are qualified for a """" retirement visa"""" - actually permission to stay based on retirement, this might be the way to go ------ LESS PAPERWORK every year to renew.  Also if for some reason you get divorced, your permission to stay remains valid - happened to my friend after married 8 years.

Also remember, you wife MUST report to immigration that you are staying with her and where you live together, many people FORGET /??? this. BE SAFE: Do the home address ON entry and go to immigration with the wife to do the home address paperwork within 24 hours - also saves the change of address paperwork.  Make sure she has ALL of HER paperwork copied.

Entry permits up to you.  With nice weekend / short get-a-way travel packages to other countries at a attractive cost offered, think it over.

The above suggestion WAS given to me by a immigration officer friend - except last paragraph.

edwardflory, I'll take your advice on board. One of the main problems with a retirement extension is that I wouldn't be able to get a work permit. It also would tie up more money than the marriage extension. I'll have to trust my wife when she assures me she won't boot me out of the house!

Yesterday I went to the Thai embassy nearby and applied for a single-entry Non-O visa. This morning my passport was returned to me with the appropriate visa stamped In it.

However, I was surprised to see this written in the Remarks section: "Extension of stay not permitted." My interpretation of this remark is that they are reminding the visa holder that the visa will "die" in three months. It will then be time to apply for a year's extension on the basis of marriage to a Thai national.

Am I interpreting this comment correctly?

9 hours ago, paddlinsteve said:

Yesterday I went to the Thai embassy nearby and applied for a single-entry Non-O visa. This morning my passport was returned to me with the appropriate visa stamped In it.

However, I was surprised to see this written in the Remarks section: "Extension of stay not permitted." My interpretation of this remark is that they are reminding the visa holder that the visa will "die" in three months. It will then be time to apply for a year's extension on the basis of marriage to a Thai national.

Am I interpreting this comment correctly?

Amazing that there is still a embassy or consulate putting that nonsense remark on a visa. It means nothing and immigration will ignore it when you apply for an extension of stay.