its a New Year ! Best way to lower blood pressure without drugs

oldcarguy

3 hours ago, dick turpin said:

You don't seem to be aware that the medical profession has raised

the blood pressure bar and that for over 60s a reading of 150/90

is the new accepted norm.

The American Society for Hypertension is the leading research body in the world for hypertension.. please read this...  http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=5376333d1a39071c6d9505873&id=82663683ad&e=

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Some Hoons don't know the Difference between a Chiropractor and a Chiropodist .

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It's like some people use any excuse to insult others...

"Chiropodist" has been replaced by "podiatrist" in most countries, so it's no wonder people become confused when you use obsolete terminology.

Thanks for all your replies , I started this thread not just for me but to start a discussion of what seems to work for you and people around you with High Blood

pressure ,

on ThaiVisa  or Google search you are going to get many conflicting ideas , That is OK as long as you understand you need to look into it more ,

At the start of this thread is a link to 10 things the Mayo Clinic says are important  ,they are someone I would trust,

I had my yearly Checkup a couple weeks ago at St Louis Hospital BKK and the Doctor

was not overly concerned at my numbers because the lower number was in range,
He did say to take a look at it , and take my BP often to check ,

As far as drugs , it is not that I think they will not work , but I would like to try some "lifestyle" changes before getting on pills for years , also I am not very

organized and if I get on daily pills I will end up skipping them often.

So please keep the arguments civil , there often is TWO right answers , or wrong   answers too :) ,

Again thanks for all your thoughts

When I came to Thailand I had been  on hypertension medication for about five years. On going to the doctor for an unrelated condition, he queried why I was on medication. He told me to drop the medication and check my bp every day. I showed him the results after a month and he was quite pleased with the results. After talking about my lifestyle, he came to the conclusion it was more than likely due to my gf using garlic in every meal.

17 hours ago, dick turpin said:

You don't seem to be aware that the medical profession has raised

the blood pressure bar and that for over 60s a reading of 150/90

is the new accepted norm.

really?  and source please?  nearing 60 and worried mine has jumped from 130/80 to 140/90 and maybe i have no need to be concerned

Edited by LannaGuy

I have the opposite worry.  LOW blood pressure, and my HR has dropped into the 30's when resting.  I prefer it around 50.  Yea, i'm very athletic and it's weird I now have to add salt to my food at times.  My diet is garbage.  My weight is good.

It's probably genetic, and all i can say is lose weight, lower stress, and listen to your body after you eat meals.  If you feel worse, don't eat that again for weeks.  your body will tell you what it wants.

my body doesn't like sprite, certain sugars, and dairy.  it wasn't like that ...  we all change.  

my blood pressure is around 105/65.  

Edited by puukao

On 01/01/2017 at 11:33 PM, oldcarguy said:

I do not drink alcohol  , but do drink a lot of Diet soda , 

do not add salt or sugar to anything

So are there any foods I need to stay away from ?

I dont think you mention whether you eat Thai food or not. If you do then you are surely consuming far more salt and sugar than you should be. And the oil they generally use is not healthy.

I would cut out sodas completely and replace them with water and lime juice, or unsweetened tea. And if you do want to eat Thai food then try and ensure that it's prepared without much salt and sugar (both almost impossible) and with better oil.

Eat oats for breakfast.

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I dont think you mention whether you eat Thai food or not. If you do then you are surely consuming far more salt and sugar than you should be. And the oil they generally use is not healthy.

I would cut out sodas completely and replace them with water and lime juice, or unsweetened tea. And if you do want to eat Thai food then try and ensure that it's prepared without much salt and sugar (both almost impossible) and with better oil.

Eat oats for breakfast.

I do not eat Thai food ,  lots of white rice I cook  ( i know it should be brown rice) with something on it ,

or Pasta with sauce on it , or baked potatoes.......

pretty simple stuff ,  and yes I need more veggies !

And i do like oatmeal with bananas for breakfast .....

it is hard when you are cooking stuff for yourself only , so much goes to waste,,,,,

OP:  You're obviously on a mostly starch based diet, and if it seems to be working for you, I would say just continue.  I've eaten quite similar for the last couple of years and lost some weight and although I'd like to get my BP even lower, this and some daily exercise has brought it down enough that the doctor has lowered my blood pressure medication from two different prescription pills to only one.  Usually at my age (67) doctors keep increasing the number of BP pills so at least I'm going in the right direction.  

15 hours ago, dick turpin said:

The article does NOT say what you said. It says don't take medicine, maybe, until 150/90 it does NOT say that this is the new 'norm' as you stated. 

Best way to lower blood pressure without drugs  
Sex. Making love is one of the best ways to bring down blood pressure. If you don't believe me, try taking a reading before and five minutes after. In my experience, the results are dramatic - and helpful for persuading a less than ardent partner that regular sexercise is a must.

He's got MY vote!

I have the opposite worry.  LOW blood pressure, and my HR has dropped into the 30's when resting.  I prefer it around 50.  Yea, i'm very athletic and it's weird I now have to add salt to my food at times.  My diet is garbage.  My weight is good.

It's probably genetic, and all i can say is lose weight, lower stress, and listen to your body after you eat meals.  If you feel worse, don't eat that again for weeks.  your body will tell you what it wants.

my body doesn't like sprite, certain sugars, and dairy.  it wasn't like that ...  we all change.  

my blood pressure is around 105/65.  

Lol > your body tells you what to eat. I can eat all sorts of yummy crap food and my body doesn't object. Yeah I've heard this before but there are better ways to choose food... like making intelligent decisions based on science.

On 1/2/2017 at 10:47 AM, JB300 said:

I do not drink alcohol  , but do drink a lot of Diet soda , 
do not add salt or sugar to anything
and do not smoke

As another poster pointed out, diet soda is full of sodium and other harmful stuff.  I was addicted to diet colas: "Coke Zero", "Diet Coke", "Pepsi Max", ect. but after heart bypass surgery several months ago, I did some research and dropped diet soda completely.  

Fruit juice and plain soda is OK but the juice can often contain a lot of sugar.  I've been really enjoying ice tea.and find it fills my need for a beverage with flavor.  Thai "Number 1 Tea", in the square red can sold in most markets makes great tea. I usually make it in 2 or 3 liter batches and put it in old soda bottles and refrigerate it.  It will stay fresh for about a week.  

Because standard tea does contain some caffeine, I also buy a variety of herb and fruit teas like apple and strawberry; often mixing them for new and interesting flavors. This really gives a nice variety of beverage choices.

As another poster pointed out, diet soda is full of sodium and other harmful stuff.  I was addicted to diet colas: "Coke Zero", "Diet Coke", "Pepsi Max", ect. but after heart bypass surgery several months ago, I did some research and dropped diet soda completely.  

Fruit juice and plain soda is OK but the juice can often contain a lot of sugar.  I've been really enjoying ice tea.and find it fills my need for a beverage with flavor.  Thai "Number 1 Tea", in the square red can sold in most markets makes great tea. I usually make it in 2 or 3 liter batches and put it in old soda bottles and refrigerate it.  It will stay fresh for about a week.  

Because standard tea does contain some caffeine, I also buy a variety of herb and fruit teas like apple and strawberry; often mixing them for new and interesting flavors. This really gives a nice variety of beverage choices.

Hey something wrong with the quoting here!!! I certainly drink alcohol but never diet soda (on the rare occasion I have a soda I'll have the full fat variant) :)

Not a fan of iced teas (unless it's part of a large pitcher of Long Island iced tea) but quiet enjoy (hot) green tea, will have to try mixing a few flavours up, Apple & strawberry sounds great [emoji106]

On 1/3/2017 at 1:00 PM, Ace of Pop said:

581ddd1222472d914aaa296357f14c5f.jpg

This is extremely outdated.  See the link from a previous post that apparently no one viewed:  http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=5376333d1a39071c6d9505873&id=82663683ad&e=

In other words, the old myth about the OK "upper limit" being "your age plus 100" is pure crap.  I know it is because that's what I feel like when my BP is that high.

On 1/2/2017 at 10:35 PM, oldcarguy said:

Thanks for all your replies , I started this thread not just for me but to start a discussion of what seems to work for you and people around you with High Blood

pressure ,

on ThaiVisa  or Google search you are going to get many conflicting ideas , That is OK as long as you understand you need to look into it more ,

At the start of this thread is a link to 10 things the Mayo Clinic says are important  ,they are someone I would trust,

I had my yearly Checkup a couple weeks ago at St Louis Hospital BKK and the Doctor

was not overly concerned at my numbers because the lower number was in range,
He did say to take a look at it , and take my BP often to check ,

As far as drugs , it is not that I think they will not work , but I would like to try some "lifestyle" changes before getting on pills for years , also I am not very

organized and if I get on daily pills I will end up skipping them often.

So please keep the arguments civil , there often is TWO right answers , or wrong   answers too :) ,

Again thanks for all your thoughts

Some poster (and the charleton in the video) said that once a doctor starts you on a BP med you'll never get off,  but I've not found that to be the case here.  If you find a top flight doctor and research his/her CV on-line, you'll probably find a doctor in one of Thailand's major cities who has published papers in major journals about BP management.  That's what I did when it was evident that the BP meds I had been prescribed 15 years before in the U.S. weren't working.

Of course, this assumes you've got a good upper arm BP cuff and are taking daily readings.  And has been pointed out, you get to know yourself and what makes for a "good" and "bad" reading.  For me, I have bad readings if I've been sitting with my legs up on a footstool and/or are on the verge of having to use the toilet.  Little things can make a difference.  

Keep a daily log of your BP readings. One of the saddest things I had to do was clean out the condo an elderly woman who had passed away from a stroke.  At my urging, she had started a daily BP log and  and in cleaning her condo I saw her notebook with daily readings of 180/110, 185/115 etc.  OMG why didn't she tell me?  She was very committed to using "natural means" to "cure" her BP problem. She had spent thousands of baht on "natural" healing compounds that we sent down the trash chute in her condo.

Once you find a knowledgeable doctor here -- and it's not that hard, the private hospitals put their CVs on their websites and then you can Google their names and find their published papers -- then you establish a relationship.  I did it first with a doctor in Bangkok and now with on in Chiang Mai.  Doctors who have had some portion of their education in the west.  Doctors who appreciate when their patients keep daily logs of their BP, are willing to start out with BP meds and (this is VERY important) are willing to make major lifestyle changes like losing weight, exercising and cutting out salty food.  In my experience Thai doctors will work with you if you are willing to meet them more than half way in changing what you're currently doing that has created the problem you're in.  

When I came to Thailand nine years ago, I was on three BP meds, a diuretic, and low dose aspirin.  I started to gain weight and after years of fighting docs on several continents I agreed to be put on a cholestrol med.  Finally, I started to exercise and lose weight (again, I've done this before and know it's good) and after the first 10 kg of weight loss the CM doc took me off the cholestrol med, one of the BP meds and even the aspirin.  When he found out I had my perfectly healthy, but elderly Hubby on aspirin "just because" it was suppose to be good, he was shocked and told me to take him off it.  Of course, this was after he confirmed that Hubby showed up every year for a deluxe super senior health check up and despite their best efforts walked away with a 100% clean bill of health. He says Hubby doesn't need anything more than a good "senior multivitamin" if I really want to give him a tablet every day.  He says this with a bit a of a smerk, like maybe Hubby doesn't  need Centrum Silver for Men, but it probably won't hurt him.

23 hours ago, tropo said:

Lol > your body tells you what to eat. I can eat all sorts of yummy crap food and my body doesn't object. Yeah I've heard this before but there are better ways to choose food... like making intelligent decisions based on science.

What science?  Can you read all languages so you understand what every doctor in every country thinks?  Or do you just pick a "good" university in America or the UK and trust that they know what is best for you?  How is this intelligent?  Let me see all your reports and I will then show you reports that say the opposite.  

My blood pressure is abnormally low - 100/50 - and I seem to be exquisitely sensitive to food. The two things are probably connected. I bought a rucksack full of vacuum packed beetroot and had to give most of it away because it was collapsing my blood pressure to a degree that was making me ill. I spent the week from hell a couple of months ago working through a ton of chili made with my new extra hot powder. Turns out that collapses my blood pressure as well. 

The situation with coffee isn't clear. Consuming caffeine means an immediate spike in blood pressure, but there's good evidence that coffee consumption is at least associated with lower blood pressure. That isn't cause and effect, though: maybe people with low blood pressure are driven to consume coffee as a form of self-medication. 

one of the things is a short term spike because  a food that did not agree with you , or too much exercise that day , etc

and the long term / every day level  which most of use are trying to lower ,

I am not going to eat beetroot everyday ,  but if there were 5 things that I could add to my diet I might do that ,

And as we have seen in this thread there are many studies that "prove" the opposite things ,  and many old studies that get quoted and are now thought wrong ,

There is NO perfect answer ,  part because we are all individuals ,  part because many of us do not really know what we eat  !

If you but off a street stand , from Mcdonalds or something from Big C  you never really know how much added salt , MSG and other things are added.

But discussion is the first thing ,   not believing " Dr Google" is another and for sure not "Dr ThaiVisa" , 

So  keep the discussion going , knowing there is more than one right answer......

and to add to the above , here is a report from the Mayo clinic that Diet soda does NOT raise your blood pressure ,

http://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/mayo-clinic-q-and-a-diet-soda-and-high-blood-pressure/

Of course we are going to believe the report that lets us eat + drink what we like :smile:

Now where is that report the Pizza and Big Macs  are "health foods" :shock1: