its a New Year ! Best way to lower blood pressure without drugs

oldcarguy

Hi

its a new year  and I would like to work on lowering my blood pressure

My blood pressure was around 130 and the last check was 155/80 , ( not sure if thats a rogue number)

so i would like to lower it back to around 130 or less , but would rather not take drugs ,

I am about 10  pounds overweight ( all in the gut) , walk a few KM 3-4 times a week  , longer walks when I am in BKK, ( like an hour or 2 exploring the city)

I do not drink alcohol  , but do drink a lot of Diet soda , 

do not add salt or sugar to anything

and do not smoke

Looking at http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/in-depth/high-blood-pressure/art-20046974

Consider boosting potassium. Potassium can lessen the effects of sodium on blood pressure. The best source of potassium is food, such as fruits and vegetables, rather than supplements

So are there any foods I need to stay away from ?

foods I need to eat more of ?

Or things like fish oil that would help

Thanks for your ideas ,  there are so many "studies" which conflict with each other that it gets confusing  :)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Imagine that you have a lower/normal blood pressure. 

Seriously, there are documented cases when they asked people to do that on a regular basis and checked their blood pressure before and after. They all had lower results after. The mind can't differentiate between what's real and what's imagined. 

Like simply thinking about some food you like triggers the secretion of saliva even though there's no food in sight. 

Walking doesn't stress the circulatory system much. I would recommend slowly working into a more intense exercise program. Don't rush it.

Do you check your blood pressure at home? This is important as you need to do it when you're relaxed. The stress of getting to a clinic and even the worry about high numbers can increase your numbers quite a bit.

Most important is to take ypur blood pressure at home after resting for 20mins or so to get a correct reading.
Regular excersise and a good balanced diet are the best eay to contril blood pressure if its not too high.. Before you post again check your pressure to see what it really is.

Sent from my vivo V3Max using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

9 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

Imagine that you have a lower/normal blood pressure. 

Seriously, there are documented cases when they asked people to do that on a regular basis and checked their blood pressure before and after. They all had lower results after. The mind can't differentiate between what's real and what's imagined. 

Like simply thinking about some food you like triggers the secretion of saliva even though there's no food in sight. 

I agree 100% and thank you for reminding me, I will start working on that with immediate effect (in fact have half started doing it for the past few weeks but now will   determined).

The one thing not to do is to become too focused on one's "high" blood,  pressure......that could have the opposite effect.

Best way to lower blood pressure without drugs

Sex. Making love is one of the best ways to bring down blood pressure. If you don't believe me, try taking a reading before and five minutes after. In my experience, the results are dramatic - and helpful for persuading a less than ardent partner that regular sexercise is a must.

1 hour ago, Chicken George said:

Most important is to take ypur blood pressure at home after resting for 20mins or so to get a correct reading.
Regular excersise and a good balanced diet are the best eay to contril blood pressure if its not too high.. Before you post again check your pressure to see what it really is.

Sent from my vivo V3Max using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

A lot of hospitals don't think about that either.

Last time I went for check up I had just spent an hour in traffic, 10 minutes trying to find a parking place then a 10 minute walk in 38 degrees, after climbing 3 sets of stairs I sat down and the nurse wanted to take my blood pressure immediately.

She couldn't understand why I wanted to wait 10 or 15 minutes.

im pressuming your over 60, your walking is good try adding oily fish to your diet if you dont want to take supplements salmon etc,,, over 60 @ 140/80 is great dont woryy about getting lower if you do thats even better

but is that a rogue number you got,, if your truly worried invest in a home machine and take it the same time each day ( better just once a week before exercize/walk )

i find that im always 10 points higher at the hospital than at home

Hi

its a new year  and I would like to work on lowering my blood pressure

My blood pressure was around 130 and the last check was 155/80 , ( not sure if thats a rogue number)

so i would like to lower it back to around 130 or less , but would rather not take drugs ,

I am about 10  pounds overweight ( all in the gut) , walk a few KM 3-4 times a week  , longer walks when I am in BKK, ( like an hour or 2 exploring the city)

I do not drink alcohol  , but do drink a lot of Diet soda , 
do not add salt or sugar to anything
and do not smoke

Looking at http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/in-depth/high-blood-pressure/art-20046974
Consider boosting potassium. Potassium can lessen the effects of sodium on blood pressure. The best source of potassium is food, such as fruits and vegetables, rather than supplements

So are there any foods I need to stay away from ?
foods I need to eat more of ?
Or things like fish oil that would help

Thanks for your ideas ,  there are so many "studies" which conflict with each other that it gets confusing  :)

Stop drinking the Diet Sodas as the stuff they put in them makes them worse for you than the full fat versions... https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/5-ways-diet-soda-makes-you-gain-weight-143733066.html

If you like carbonated drinks, get sparkling mineral water & add fresh juice to it (I usually go with 60% water, 40% juice but you'll soon find the mix that works for you).

I was in blood pressure and cholestoral medication for years but decided to take action. Started walking, cut down alcohol, eat healthier. Actually started taking rolled oats each morning and added fruit. Lost 20kg over 18 months and went from walking to jogging 10km 3 times a week plus joined a gym. Off all medication now. 

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Last time I went for check up I had just spent an hour in traffic, 10 minutes trying to find a parking place then a 10 minute walk in 38 degrees, after climbing 3 sets of stairs I sat down and the nurse wanted to take my blood pressure immediately.

To the Op: there is so much available online about this and you should invest your time reading through reputable websites rather than rely on TV.

Until you know what is causing your elevated BP, nobody can properly advise what to do about it.

It always amazes me that people recommend only checking your BP in a resting state. This is dead wrong. It is foolish to ignore very elevated BP just because it only happens in certain situations. This includes white coat syndrome. While checking your RESTING BP regularly over time provides an interesting database, it won't indicate your true health status. You must learn how high your BP may go to, because it only takes one hit at an extreme level to give you a stroke. If you are at a consistently high level you must do something about it. If you are susceptible to extremes, you must do something about it.

You first must buy a home BP monitor. Get the arm cuff variety at a pharmacy like Watson's etc., they're not expensive.

Check your BP at home in a variety of situations and make notes. You'll find out soon enough what triggers YOUR higher BP (which is not the same for everyone). Stressful situations, certain foods, Thai massage, early morning readings, etc.,etc., will likely figure. If your highest readings are within a reasonable level and come down quickly, good for you. But if they are extreme and/or don't fall back to normal quickly, you must take action. Work on understanding those triggers and prevent them if possible. If that doesn't work, consider taking BP meds.

Losing that extra 10 kilos would help a lot.. bike riding is good low impact exercise.. walking is good but hard to walk fast enough to get the heart rate up to improve aerobic fitness  (exercise heart rate:  220 less your age.. work to 80 or 90% of that.. for me at 71.. 150 max..I work to 135 bpm..sometimes push it to 140).. Checking you blood pressure at home is good.. but blood pressure goes up and down depending on a lot of things..   if you are not well.. or a bit stressed..   The latest thinking is that BP for older people should be about 110/80.. as we age blood vessels become less elastic and prone to rupture under pressure.. The Mediterranean diet is good as a food guide..   Your weight on the scales goes up and down too..again depending on many factors.. how hydrated you are.. how much you have been eating... mine fluctuates about 1 kilo..  establish a high reading then a low one.. watch the low one slowly come down..  don't be disappointed  if it goes up a bit.. watch the trend.. good luck.. 

34 minutes ago, KhunOr said:

It is foolish to ignore very elevated BP just because it only happens in certain situations

My physician refuses to take my blood pressure if he knows I had a cup of coffee in the preceding hour. You think he's wrong?

Edited by SaintLouisBlues

1 minute ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

physician refuse to take my blood pressure if he knowsI had a cup of coffee in the preceding hour. You think he's wrong?

Probably best not to have coffee before a blood pressure test.. I usually check mine in the morning before the first coffee..  and when I am relaxed..

6 hours ago, Bonobojt said:

Very interesting point. I have a high to very high BP and use medication to lower it since about 15 years. I'm not convinced that i really need this medication or if it does any good, but when i don't use it, i can't get treatment at most dentists and hospitals as here in Thailand they are totally indoctrinated about the 140/90 dangerous levels (wasn't a problem in my home country though).

3 minutes ago, swissbie said:

Very interesting point. I have a high to very high BP and use medication to lower it since about 15 years. I'm not convinced that i really need this medication or if it does any good, but when i don't use it, i can't get treatment at most dentists and hospitals as here in Thailand they are totally indoctrinated about the 140/90 dangerous levels (wasn't a problem in my home country though).

If your BP is higher than 140/90 I think most Drs would want you on medication..

8 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

My physician refuses to take my blood pressure if he knows I had a cup of coffee in the preceding hour. You think he's wrong?

When you are at St Peter's Gate having died of a stroke or cardiac arrest following an extreme BP spike, you can tell him he's wrong about it because if you had only waited an hour your BP would have been normal.

Funny you should say that, I had a stroke about 6 months ago and am on many meds and have a standing visit to my doc monthly.

I check my BP every day and it averages out around 135/85 but when I go see the doc it is always 150+/90+. amusingly the check is always done immediately on arrival............after a 40minute drive in traffic and a big walk from the carpark.

Doc insists I take a 3rd hypertension med to alleviate my high blood pressure !!

As I walk to the hospital its always a do over with a pretty nurse and heck I don't mind. 

Just now, Don Mega said:

Funny you should say that, I had a stroke about 6 months ago and am on many meds and have a standing visit to my doc monthly.

I check my BP every day and it averages out around 135/85 but when I go see the doc it is always 150+/90+. amusingly the check is always done immediately on arrival............after a 40minute drive in traffic and a big walk from the carpark.

Doc insists I take a 3rd hypertension med to alleviate my high blood pressure !!

A 15 minute wait dropped mine from around 140/90 to 120/80. Not a fast recovery but a good difference.