Big Bike driver dead after collision with mini van in Bang Len

webfact

Big Bike driver dead after collision with mini van in Bang Len

p1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

NAKHON PATHOM: -- A 31 yea old Thai man died after colliding with a minivan in Bang Lan, Nakorn Phatom on New Year's Day.

The Kawasaki ended up embedded in the side of the van.

Dead at the scene was Patthadon Chalachon. A woman on the van - Amphita Ritdee was rushed to hospital with serious injuries.

Driver of the van Prajuab Nakkaemthong, 65, said he was making a U-turn when the bike went into the side of his vehicle at speed.

The bike had no plates.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-02

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Driver of the van Prajuab Nakkaemthong, 65, said he was making a U-turn when the bike went into the side of his vehicle at speed.

The bike had no plates."

Just the facts.

What a way to start a new year. Sorry for the family of the bike rider and hope the passenger in the van makes a good recovery.

Yes these minivans don't really care about other traffic at all and him doing an U turn could mean that he did one even when it was not safe. However its not sure of course and the big bike could have been speeding. My experience with minivan's would point to the driver doing a U turn without caring about other traffic.. but that is just based on my experience and might be way off mark. Big bike riders (I am one) do speed too. 

One more data point:  4 wheel driver and passengers- mostly okay.  2 wheel driver- not okay.

Be careful out there.  No matter how good you are, there's always someone making a U-turn.  Helmets are great, but they wouldn't have (didn't?) save this guy.

Being a big bike rider here Thai fck tards never bother looking at U turns and if its a bike coming they just go as they could not care less, my bet that is again exactly what happened here, RIP big bike rider, hope the driver gets a manslaughter charge!!! Fat chance of that!!!

5 hours ago, tracker1 said:

My observation is Mini bus driver at fault !

Your observation is based on not observing anything but text describing everything but the details leading to the accident. Let's rather call it your biased assumption based on your prejudice towards mini bus drivers, which would be a lot more accurate considering the information provided in this article. You haven't observed anything.

5 hours ago, tracker1 said:

My observation is Mini bus driver at fault !

I wouldn't be too sure. Just take a look at some of the Thai "Big Bike" riders that are posted on YouTube mainly in Bangkok - They film themselves travelling through parts of the cities and smaller soi's at speeds well over 230KMH! How more of them don't meet a swift death is beyond me.

9 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

RIP fellow Kawasaki biker.

Not a day goes by that these mini van murders don't try to run me off the road.

They are the scum of the earth.

I say drag them out of their vans and execute them.

I feel your pain and fear bro. Keep your cool mate. 

12 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Remove them to some place in the jungle where they cant hurt anyone RIP fellow Kawasaki biker.

Not a day goes by that these mini van murders don't try to run me off the road.

They are the scum of the earth.

I say drag them out of their vans and execute them.

A somewhat harsh penalty, but I do agree they need to be controlled

4 minutes ago, licka said:

Does anyone think the bike rider was obeying the road rules ?

No plate probably no registration or insurance

Sorry to say but maybe he had a hand in his own demise

More than likely, the bike rider was travelling above the speed limit and therefore unable to avoid crashing into the side of the minivan.

However, your comment about no plate and therefore probably no registration or insurance is plain ignorance. 

None of us I suggest know who was at fault. It is very sad.

I really don't understand why some of these bikes have no number plates. The 20 year old Honda pottering about the villages with a sack of dung wedged between the drivers legs maybe, but a bike like this?

Mind you I also don't understand why the police don't bother stopping them and asking.....

3 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

More than likely, the bike rider was travelling above the speed limit and therefore unable to avoid crashing into the side of the minivan.

However, your comment about no plate and therefore probably no registration or insurance is plain ignorance. 

I suppose the plate just fell off :whistling:

How many big bikes are there that are not legal imports

So have no plates or insurance

As for my ignorance, I doubt you have the right to judge that

Edited by licka

4 minutes ago, JAG said:

None of us I suggest know who was at fault. It is very sad.

I really don't understand why some of these bikes have no number plates. The 20 year old Honda pottering about the villages with a sack of dung wedged between the drivers legs maybe, but a bike like this?

Mind you I also don't understand why the police don't bother stopping them and asking.....

3 minutes ago, licka said:

No red plates are issued for new bike purchases in Bangkok. One has to wait a couple of months before the plates are issued by DLT. In the meantime, all the necessary documents (insurance, sales invoice etc) should be carried at all times when riding the bike.

6 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

"Driver of the van Prajuab Nakkaemthong, 65, said he was making a U-turn when the bike went into the side of his vehicle at speed.

The bike had no plates."

Just the facts.

What a way to start a new year. Sorry for the family of the bike rider and hope the passenger in the van makes a good recovery.

The operator of the bike cannot obviously prove him wrong. The van driver is free to give whatever version that defends him. I really question the U turn part. Those can be dangerous. 

11 minutes ago, hobz said:

Minivan passengers could be encouraged to report if the driver is speeding / driving recklessly. They always are.

I've unfortunately been in a few too many of these tin cans. And I'm in full agreement - they always are! - the drivers take little heed of road conditions and take no responsibility for the lives of their passengers!

1 minute ago, Gweiloman said:

No red plates are issued for new bike purchases in Bangkok. One has to wait a couple of months before the plates are issued by DLT. In the meantime, all the necessary documents (insurance, sales invoice etc) should be carried at all times when riding the bike.

Thank you. I suppose the same is true in other places. Up here in Chiang Rai, apart from the 20 year old dung transporters, there are plenty of newer big bikes without number plates.

What a surprise... at  a UTURN.. I can't tell you how many times I've been driving in the fast lane on a street here and people making a U-Turn, clearly seeing me in the lane, still inch out to make me move.

Out of all the crap I deal with driving on the roads, this is the one thing that really infuriates me. COmplete disregard for the safety of others assuming they'll move for you. 

11 minutes ago, licka said:

How many big bikes are there that are not legal imports

So have no plates or insurance

As for my ignorance, I doubt you have the right to judge that

The bike in question is a Kawasaki. Looks like the Ninja 1000SX. Sold by Kawasaki here in Thailand. No need for illegal import. Read my post about new bikes and plates.

17 minutes ago, sanemax said:

How would the van driver know that the biker was speeding ?

For him to state that suggests that he must have seen the biker .

That begs the question, why did the driver attempt a U-turn if there was a speeding bike coming ?

Considering that the driver is a 65 year old and drives a minivan for a living, chances are that he has never been on a big bike and is not aware how fast these things can go.

He probably saw it coming but thought that he could make the turn in time....

Just now, Gweiloman said:

The bike in question is a Kawasaki. Looks like the Ninja 1000SX. Sold by Kawasaki here in Thailand. No need for illegal import. Read my post about new bikes and plates.

Legal or not you think he was obeying the speed limit

He and the bus driver were probably both at fault