Transfer retirement extension to new passport

sonos99

I  went to Phuket Town immigration today for my 90 day report and while I was there I went to room 103 to ask about transferring stamps/visas to my new passport. They were happy for me to do the transfer at the same time as my new retirement extension at the end of this month. 

I was given an additional form for the transfer. The form has the heading "Application For Correct Visa Stamp On Passport Or Travelling Document". I was told that I would need photocopies of everything Thailand related in my old passport and photocopy of the main page of my new passport. There was no mention of a fee and I didn't ask. 

For the 90 day reporting they were not interested in my new passport but used my old passport with a big red "Cancelled" sticker on it. They didn't even want a photocopy of my new passport. 

I transferred my retirement extension a few years ago. The US Embassy provided a letter requesting the transfer. There was no charge at Phuket Immigration, but I get the same guy almost every time I get a visa extension and he also did the transfer. 

• 5 months later...

Did mine yesterday and was in and out in less than 15 minutes. Got there at 9 am and an officer was outside the room and asked to see my papers which were fully complete. Waved me through and the officer took 2 minutes to check everything and then told me to wait for photo. The girl there after processing papers then took photo and showed me an example of the new photo requirement and asked me to come back after 1pm next day to collect passport and also bring a similar photo. Having already read about this above had one with me which she said was fine and had me sign another document. All staff were very helpful and friendly. The secret is to make sure you complete everything in advance and take anything you think they may ask for as different officers ask for different things. For example the regulations state that all you now need if using money in the bank is a letter from the bank and a printed bank statement from the bank. Inevitably the officer will also ask for photo copy of your bank book and each page . I take copy of every page going back 12 months just in case. Remember to copy every previous visa from your passport. I recently changed my passport so only had one page to copy. There is one other form that now has to be signed and this is a short one which in effect just states that you accept the decision of the immigration officer regarding your application. They are on the table outside. An obvious tip is to immediately apply for your re-entry permit when you pick up passport next day. You will need to photo copy your new visa in addition to the main page and arrival/departure card. 

In relation to changing passport, I just did mine in a matter of minutes while I waited. You need to copy all your old visas as well as main page of old and new passport. That was it. No fee. As my visa was due for renewal in a few weeks asked if I wanted my re-entry permit copying over as of course would take up a page which I thought very considerate of them to ask. When come to renew visa means you only need to copy 1 page instead of half your passport.

On 2.1.2017 at 10:20 AM, Antifreeze said:

Easy to do. Did it last week.

[..] Then go to room 103 with B500 and, assuming no line, 15 minutes later you're done.

Forget the 500 Baht, there is no fee. But I had to present a confirmation of my consulate, that the new passport is genuine. Another 9xx Baht in the koffer of the consule :angry:

22 minutes ago, hkt83100 said:

Forget the 500 Baht, there is no fee. But I had to present a confirmation of my consulate, that the new passport is genuine. Another 9xx Baht in the koffer of the consule :angry:

The Aussie consulate have not got around to that scam yet

When applying for a new passport at the consulate they cancel the old one and put a stamp on it saying it is replaced by the new one, when you receive the new passport you just put its number in the space provided in the stamp

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2017 at 11:26 PM, merijn said:

Letter confirming the passport renewal is required in case the new passport is issued in or send to you in Thailand and not used yet. (no entry stamp inside)

Some countries (like Holland) put the replacement information in the new passport and in that case the letter is not required.

If the new passport is used to get into the country (entry stamp in new passport and extension with re-entry permit in old passport) the letter is not required.

There is no fee but i have reports that the officer in room 103 is asking 500 Baht to transfer the extension.

Better to wait with the transfer until the renewal of the extension is required and do it in one go.

You can meanwhile travel with both passports.

Is it also necessary to transfer the entry stamp to the new passport if there is no more valid visa in the old passport? 

Or is it ok to fly out with new empty passport and old cancelled pasport?

54 minutes ago, schlog said:

Is it also necessary to transfer the entry stamp to the new passport if there is no more valid visa in the old passport? 

Or is it ok to fly out with new empty passport and old cancelled pasport?

When I transferred mine they put the transfer stamp and the last arrival date stamp from my last actual visa, then another arrival stamp from my last re-entry after that as well as an extension stamp. It took up two pages of my new passport.Then later when it was time for my new extension, it was back to normal. I have heard it's okay to fly with both passports, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.  Did your Embassy send a letter with your new passport requesting Thai Immigration to transfer your visa and extension of stay? I'm sure there is a whole thread about this in the Visa section of TV Forum.

47 minutes ago, Jimi007 said:

When I transferred mine they put the transfer stamp and the last arrival date stamp from my last actual visa, then another arrival stamp from my last re-entry after that as well as an extension stamp. It took up two pages of my new passport.Then later when it was time for my new extension, it was back to normal. I have heard it's okay to fly with both passports, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.  Did your Embassy send a letter with your new passport requesting Thai Immigration to transfer your visa and extension of stay? I'm sure there is a whole thread about this in the Visa section of TV Forum.

Got a letter for immigration with the new passport.

I'm lazy for the immi boys but as you said better safe then hassle at the airport.

Archived