Calling on Chiang Mai Dairy Experts

Stubby

3 hours ago, Stubby said:

It seems like that Emborg butter is the mutts nuts going by some of the replies here. I've never heard of it, but shall look out for it soon. JungleChef seems to think Anchor is also a top product. Anyway, I'm staying away from the 75B blocks and the costlier  Allowrie from now on. Glad I posted here because I thought the Allowrie was a quality product made down-under. That'll teach me for now reading the labels ;)

Sorry Emborg is not better than NZ Anchor--I have tried most all the butter and butter type products here domestic and imported and I would still try Anchor first.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you can read this, then you can read the label.  Every label says what you need to know.  If you care.

If cost is the primary concern, go with the cheapest which will be palm oil and a bit of milk protein. 

If pure butter fat is what you want (aka butter) then read the label and choose that product.

But butter does contain like 20% water, so to avoid the water choose ghee. Ghee an Indian product of butter fat minus the water. More calories per 100 gms, but also more taste.

On 1/2/2017 at 10:24 PM, Stubby said:

It seems like that Emborg butter is the mutts nuts going by some of the replies here. I've never heard of it, but shall look out for it soon. JungleChef seems to think Anchor is also a top product. Anyway, I'm staying away from the 75B blocks and the costlier  Allowrie from now on. Glad I posted here because I thought the Allowrie was a quality product made down-under. That'll teach me for now reading the labels ;)

To clarify I said "I use Anchor butter" which means it's best suits for my purposes which includes flavor and price consideration among other things.

As we pretty much only use butter in my household to bake dessert, which can be a cake that feeds 200 ppl (we like Bday parties), Anchor suits me fine. 

Never did a taste comparison with the most expensive (best??) products as we mainly eat Thai or use olive oil or canola oil to cook Western. Been trying Coconut oil lately too but don't want to go off-topic :sorry:

14 hours ago, jobin said:

If you can read this, then you can read the label.  Every label says what you need to know.  If you care.

If cost is the primary concern, go with the cheapest which will be palm oil and a bit of milk protein. 

If pure butter fat is what you want (aka butter) then read the label and choose that product.

But butter does contain like 20% water, so to avoid the water choose ghee. Ghee an Indian product of butter fat minus the water. More calories per 100 gms, but also more taste.

Thanks Jobin, that's interesting to know ;)

9 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

Olive oil is NOT butter and that is something right from the get go.

I don't mind this spread but that is what it Is. 

Butter is butter.  There is NO compromise 

CMKiwi is right Balo. The product you mention looks interesting, but it ain't butter. 

9 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

Olive oil is NOT butter and that is something right from the get go.

I don't mind this spread but that is what it Is. 

Butter is butter.  There is NO compromise 

This is right, butter is butter and nothing else compares to that IMO .

I love it and eat way too much of it..

I buy mainly NZ or Aus product as i pictured.

However Bertolli actually does make a combo which is butter based [my bad, i posted a pic of the wrong product yesterday]

A mate who loves butter but for health reasons needs less sat fats is interested in an alternative that is not a rank smelling margarine mix.

432791.jpg

14 hours ago, happyas said:

341120.jpg  This one?  Where do you buy it please?

I am positive its made with the Mafia doctored Olive Oil as its cheaper by far. Then you are charged the price that the real olive oil content if it had been used in the manufacture.

The strange thing is...what the heck is butter oil?  I've heard of butter fat and milk fat but oil?

As previously mentioned ghee is clarified butter and used in some cooking dishes as it has a higher melting point therefore it doesn't burn as fast/easy as normal butter would.

Anything that I see with the words butter oil as an ingredient,  I tend to steer clear of. To me it's just not butter.

However in saying that and as has been pointed out, there are a lot of oil based spreads that are perhaps more healthier. I have no problem with that and on occasion I too may use such spreads.

But you can't beat real butter on a hot cob of corn. It just tastes better.

1 hour ago, Ron19 said:

Obviously made under license from Allowrie Foods Australia Limited.

It is my guess that the butter oil which makes up 80% of the product comes from Australia.

DSC09319.JPG

DSC09320.JPG

Strange indeed that the Thai and Aus butters are so different..and that the local one is total crap.

Not good for the Aust company reputation at all.

Wonder why they don't export the Aust made product as other companies do?

I was interested about the butter oil content, and google gave me this info.;

Butter oil is also a clarified butter but it is created in a completely different manner. To remove the milk solids and water, instead of being heated and simmered, it is run through a centrifuge and filter, which separates the oil directly from the cream. This means a number of differences butter oil has from other clarified butters. First, the oil isn’t heated, thus retaining its low-chain fatty acids, Wulzen Factor, butyric acid, and vitamin content. Also, clarified butter and ghee, while the milk solids are strained out, there can be trace amounts remaining in the oil. With butter oil, because of the advanced filtering process, it’s a purer oil and appropriate for most people with lactose intolerance. (Consult your healthcare professional.) Additionally, because it lacks these solids, butter oil has a longer shelf-life than ghee or other clarified butters.

3 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

The strange thing is...what the heck is butter oil?  I've heard of butter fat and milk fat but oil?

As previously mentioned ghee is clarified butter and used in some cooking dishes as it has a higher melting point therefore it doesn't burn as fast/easy as normal butter would.

Anything that I see with the words butter oil as an ingredient,  I tend to steer clear of. To me it's just not butter.

However in saying that and as has been pointed out, there are a lot of oil based spreads that are perhaps more healthier. I have no problem with that and on occasion I too may use such spreads.

But you can't beat real butter on a hot cob of corn. It just tastes better.

Or on asparagus with a dash of black pepper and you have to love the taste of eggs fried in it.

20 hours ago, happyas said:

341120.jpg  This one?  Where do you buy it please?

No , the name is Olive Grove  Classic , made in Australia. You can buy them at Big C, Tops and also Makro I believe.  

When I read the content it's actually made of 20% olive oil mixed with other vegetable oils.   

But I like the taste of it on my sandwich and  with fried eggs. 

015439.jpg

7 hours ago, Stubby said:

CMKiwi is right Balo. The product you mention looks interesting, but it ain't butter. 

For me it works like butter , I mean I can cook with it and spread it on my sandwich .  But if it's healthier than butter is another discussion . 

1 hour ago, balo said:

No , the name is Olive Grove  Classic , made in Australia. You can buy them at Big C, Tops and also Makro I believe.  

When I read the content it's actually made of 20% olive oil mixed with other vegetable oils.   

But I like the taste of it on my sandwich and  with fried eggs. 

015439.jpg

Thanks...not the one we were thinking of.

59 minutes ago, A1Str8 said:

The difference is that it's not real butter but some mixed crap. That's why it's so much cheaper. 

It is indeed not real butter.

It is indeed NOT so much cheaper.

It is in fact a bit more expensive than the Aust butter that i buy.

• 2 months later...

Hi Forum,

I have an update on the butter issue. I went to the local Macro and looked for the suggestions in this post, namely Emborg and Anchor. There were two Emborg choices. One was only about 45B for 200gm. It said "Perfect for Baking and Cooking" on the label.  The other Emborg also had the same message but with a "Pure NATURAL" claim on the front, so I opted for that one. This one cost about 85B for 200gm. I also took a 227gm pack or Anchor. This one cost over 100B. When I got home I took the taste test. For me, Emborg won hands down. In fact, I'd forgotten just how tasty and creamy real butter was.

Anchor was nice too, but there was that slight hint of ice cream flavor in there that I found in Thai butters. It wasn't strong, and if I hadn't have tasted it in Thai brands, it would probably have gone unnoticed. So out of the two, Emborg is now my butter of choice. 

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the responses here. It's certainly helped me to make a much better informed decision on how to choose real butter ;)

Stubby

Edited by Stubby

Makro has been playing games with their prices of Emborg lately.

Normally you can get it for 85 baht but quite regularly they pop it up to 103 baht. Sneaky bastards.... you gotta be on your toes.

My preference is Anchor and luckily I've never experienced that icecream flavour that you refer to.

Allowrie certainly has that nasty taste but then they also produce a maple and a caramel flavour butter...yuck.

But glad you found the butter that you prefer.

59 minutes ago, CMKiwi said:

Makro has been playing games with their prices of Emborg lately.

Normally you can get it for 85 baht but quite regularly they pop it up to 103 baht. Sneaky bastards.... you gotta be on your toes

Thanks for the tip CMKiwi ;)

Can anyone explain to me why Emborg creame cheese is gone from all the stores ?  It was the best natural cream cheese and you could find it in Big C , Makro, Tops, Rimping but not anymore,  It's been 4 weeks now.  I really miss it. 

6 hours ago, balo said:

Can anyone explain to me why Emborg creame cheese is gone from all the stores ?  It was the best natural cream cheese and you could find it in Big C , Makro, Tops, Rimping but not anymore,  It's been 4 weeks now.  I really miss it. 

It's been my experience in Thailand that when a new product comes onto the market that needs a push, popular alternatives are taken off the shelves to remove choices. It can be anything from Gillette razors, to whipping cream, from cooking oils to toothpaste - the list goes on.

Stubby, that would probably make sense here.  About the only thing that does.  A bit like the pricing of some items.  Tesco's had a good cheap razor. Bic triple blade with a 4 pack of replacement cartridges for just 69 baht.  Not the best blade by a long shot, but they became quite popular (Amongst the many expats I know) so what does Tesco do?  Time for a price rise or should that be price hike?  The replacement 4 pack went from 69 baht to 110 baht.  I wasn't to impressed but its still cheaper than say Gillette.

Ive generally found that Makro decreases prices on Mondays whereas Fridays and Saturdays you will pay full price if not more.

3 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

Ive generally found that Makro decreases prices on Mondays whereas Fridays and Saturdays you will pay full price if not more.

That's one of those small observations that may be worth noting. I'm not a penny pincher by any means, but 10B here and 15B there can all add up over time. The saying: "Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves" didn't come from nothing. That said, I still pay through the nose at times, with some things, if it's the most convenient choice at that moment. The Macro butter tips here, as an example, are going to save me quite a bit in quality butter over time, that much I do know  ;)

Stubby

It's been my experience in Thailand that when a new product comes onto the market that needs a push, popular alternatives are taken off the shelves to remove choices. It can be anything from Gillette razors, to whipping cream, from cooking oils to toothpaste - the list goes on.

This product has been available since 2011 , a very good cream cheese so something must have happened . Maybe Emborg increased their prices.