Wild leopard savages man in India

webfact

Wild leopard savages man in India

Catherine Hardy

606x341_353824.jpg

A man has been seriously injured during attempts to corner a wild leopard in India.

Locals and wildlife authorities tried to trap the animal after it strayed into a residential area of a town in West Bengal.

The injured man is being treated in hospital.

Struggles

Video footage shows a group of men struggling to trap the animal with a net in the town of Raiganj.

It breaks free and runs off.

Dangerous strays

Wild animals like leopards, panthers and elephants often cause damage in villages bordering forest areas as they often stray into inhabited areas in search of food.

Lives have reportedly been lost.

Commentators say the increasing population has depleted the habitat of wild animals, forcing them to stray into human settlements.

What they are saying

“Many efforts were made to capture a leopard which entered the residential area, but it gave us the slip. One man got injured. As of now, we don’t know if we can recapture it as we don’t know its whereabouts,” – Sumit Nandi, a volunteer with animal rights organisation, “People for Animals”.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2017-01-03

7 hours ago, webfact said:

bordering forest areas as they often stray into inhabited areas in search of food.

Lives have reportedly been lost.

Yes the uninhabited areas of years gone by. It was the leopards territory long before man arrived to rape the land and forest. Yes lives have been lost mostly leopards I would presume. Man by nature is a hostile beast very territorial. 

2 hours ago, nchuckle said:

You'd think these idiots would learn from other instances of cornering leopards. They are lightning quick and you may as well have a fight with a chainsaw .

Good one. Sometimes I go beyond pushing the like button. I like to get more personal. 

Was watching the BBC documentary, Planet Earth 11, Cities, about animals living in cities, and it showed Leopards in the middle of a big city, cannot remember if Bombay or Calcutta, the cameraman had a night vision camera, and was filming the Leopards catching feral pigs, built up areas all around.

regards Worgeordie

If the human race keeps overbreeding itself, there will come a time when there is no room for any other animal to exist outside of zoos.

Unfortunately, no one that could make a difference seems to care. Even China wants women to breed more children ( not having much success so far though, thank the deity ).

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If the human race keeps overbreeding itself, there will come a time when there is no room for any other animal to exist outside of zoos.

Unfortunately, no one that could make a difference seems to care. Even China wants women to breed more children ( not having much success so far though, thank the deity ).

Let me clarify your statement, if you don't mind, "....no room for any other animal to exist outside of zoos, except dogs, chickens, rats, geckos, and a few cats."

on a personal note:  I'm actually losing money monthly because of dog problems in Thailand.  I have a few parcels for sale and a few small houses for rent.  The biggest problem for renting or unloading properties (for me) in Thailand is: PACKS OF DOGS. 

if ever there was proof to the expression, "Gone to the Dogs," it applies in Thailand.  Thais should not be allowed more than 1 dog per household.  Every square meter of Thailand has dog barking problems.  

Edited by boomerangutang

1 minute ago, boomerangutang said:

Let me clarify your statement, if you don't mind, "....no room for any other animal to exist outside of zoos, except dogs, chickens, rats, geckos, and a few cats."

Hmmm, you left out cockroaches too, of which it is said will be the only living creature when all else have become extinct ( or something like that ) :smile:.

I see more of a Blade runner environment where live animals are only to be found in zoos, as every other animal has been exterminated or eaten ( except insects ). Even people will have to eat seaweed as all the fish will have died from pollution.