Starting A Business In Thailand

hello

I need some information on starting a business in Thailand. I need demographic details of places like Pattaya, Bangkok, Phuket etc, I need links to bars for sale. The bars must cost at least £200,000. Any other info on starting a bar business in Thailand wouldbe very much appreciated.

hello

I need some information on starting a business in Thailand. I need demographic details of places like Pattaya, Bangkok, Phuket etc, I need links to bars for sale. The bars must cost at least £200,000. Any other info on starting a bar business in Thailand wouldbe very much appreciated.

Go to

www.sunbeltasia.com

Word of caution, not all bars makes money. In fact a majority of beer bars lose money as they are a hobby for a number of business owners. Granted with the funds you are looking to invest, you are not talking about a beer bar.

However if you are a good mgr. you can make money in the bar business. One bar I know of does net 6-8 million Baht a month with a turnover of 15-18 million Baht turnover a month.

Another does 3 million net monthly with 12 million monthly gross sales.

A bar that were a part owner in, does on average 6 million Baht a month and our net is right around 800,000 Baht per month.( lowest month was April of this year with a loss of 577,000 Baht and the best month net was December 2005 with a net of 2, 400,000 Baht on gross of 8,623,000 Baht) Three losing months and 29 months with a net profit. April 2006 was a loss because we were remodeling, elections, Songkran. The other two losses were back in 2004 when they changed from 2 a.m. closing to 1 a.m. and that lost hour just killed the profits till customers adjusted to going out earlier.

Sadly though, most bars do 500K to 3 million Baht a month in turnover. (The 3-5 million baht monthly is more along the lines of the Irish Pubs)

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

hello

you need to learn the word G O O G L E

hello

I'd invest that amount of money and live off the interest. In Thailand thats very easy with such an amount.

Don't mean to burst your bubble but unless you've got cast iron experience and trusted partners to advise you, the moneys in a very high risk field. Hua Hin bars are lucky if they have 100,000 baht turnover! And thats those with steady customers!

hello

I'd invest that amount of money and live off the interest. In Thailand thats very easy with such an amount.

Don't mean to burst your bubble but unless you've got cast iron experience and trusted partners to advise you, the moneys in a very high risk field. Hua Hin bars are lucky if they have 100,000 baht turnover! And thats those with steady customers!

Investing the money is a good idea, but what does a person do to keep themselves busy seven days a week. I could not imagine sitting around doing nothing, I would rather have a business and keep my mind and body active. I have not worked for two years due to the sale of my business and I can tell you I cannot wait to get back into some form of owner operated business.

Steve

I would invest the money and keep most of it in your national currency.

Running a business here with the culture differences, corruption, bias towards Thia's, visa rules, difficulties in business set up and costs and difficulties getting money out later if you wanted to makes for a very uneven playing field and often a stressfull struggle. Many don't make it and loose a lot. Do you want to be poor for the sake of finding something to do?

I expect your chances of failure and regret to be fairly high. Never invest more than you are willing to loose. As the saying goes. How do you make a small fortune in Thailand. Answer, start with a big one.

Invest the money and actively seek to find something to occupy your time, safe in the knowledge that the capital you worked so hard to accumualte is relatively safe. Then you can enjoy your life and if you are motivated it is possible to find hobbies or charity work or ?? to keep you occupied.

At the very least go into partnership and half your cost risks. Make sure it is with a savvy and sincere partner. Not easy to find.

I would love to start a business, but reality is that it is a big risk....MUCH BIGGER THAN REALISED AT FIRST!

Many fools are parted from their life savings in Thailand because they need something to do!

Edited by twix38

Sure, you can spend your whole life, having a good time in your armchair, reading books or shuffling around your funds via your laptop ... And - provided you did the latter (and you did it successfully) - you might even end up feeling some pride of your endeveaurs when you are old and grey...

hello

I read the replies on this site and sometimes wonder where the spirit of enterprise has gone...so many tell you why you can't do something..........business involves risk and i suspect if Richard Branson had come to this site for advice he would never have started Virgin Airways.

Is it harder to start a business here rather than South America,Africa or the Middle East....nothing is easy it depends on your resolve.

This is not meant as any disrespect to those who have proffered advice which is obviously well intended..........who knows, these words might prove foolish but I guess it depends on your out look.

I suspect you are talking about a venture something beyond the average beer bar and there are many that make good money but may have a limited shelf life.The sort of statistical data you are after is not readily avaliable...............the sunbelt guys are good but there are vested interests and few have actually run businesses................................so find people that have, talk to them,spend time to understand all the pitfalls.........if then you decide to do it do it with everything you have, you will not be on holiday you will be working like a dog.............if you do that and are prepared to keep at it,well, there is money to be made.

We have run businesses in other parts of the world and have a couple here which are doing okay....but not without graft and heartache along the way.........but thats what its all about...your a long time dead.

If you want to get down to the real nitty gritty be in touch but whatever you do, good luck.

...if then you decide to do it, do it with everything you have, you will not be on holiday you will be working like a dog.............if you do that and are prepared to keep at it,well, there is money to be made.

Exactly. Unfortunetaly, too many people start business out of sheer boredom and are unable to commit to making such an effort. The first and main objective of a business is to make money, not to entertain the owner. If you are just bored, find a hobby!

Many people look at Thailand and feel that it is a land of empty wallets. That people invest and have nothing but nightmares.

Some of course have had empty wallets after investing but others have made 1,000% and more on their investment.

What separates the success and failures?

If I look at percentages that had success, it has been with those investors that looked at Thailand and said “Where is my niche?… where is the demand? No matter what you do, you have to be different from the crowd. Even if it’s a Thai restaurant. You can be upscale and cater to the Thai Hi-Sos.

When I look back at investing in Thailand and one of the reasons why we have been successful so far….

We were the first with the business brokerage concept.

The first international firm to have lower legal fees ( slashed 80% off the standard rates that were set 4 years ago)

The first to have the Executive Desk Concept. Subleasing space to one or two man operations with an exclusive desk for the owner.

One of the first in relaunching Subway Sandwiches in Thailand ( 2003)

One of the first to co-brand franchises with many concepts to lower the high rental cost but give the consumer more variety.

Have we invested in other projects with our money that were not innovative but were proven ? Yes such as Chester Grill, Squeeze, Spichio Pizza , Coffee World.

But at the same time, we also branched out as a Independent with such concepts as

O’Brians ( 24 hour American Diner on Sukhumvit Rd)

Leelawadee ( http://www.leelawadeerestaurant.com/home_en.html Caters to the beautiful people of Bangkok)

Dbaaa http://www.bangkoknightparty.com/html/gallery.php?Shop=319 which is also a place to be seen.

When I look at other people that have done well in Thailand. They all did something unique that brought the consumer back over and over again. Every business had a good manager as well which gave them a loyal following.

A number of people invest in a business for a hobby. Nothing wrong with realizing your dream. But to reach to the sky, you need passion and to do something a little different than the crowd.

Then again, look at all the tailor shops on Sukhumvit rd.... :o They must be doing something right as well!

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

The first to have the Executive Desk Concept. Subleasing space to one or two man operations with an exclusive desk for the owner.

Are you sure about this one? AFAIK, serviced offices for 1-3 people have been operating in Bangkok for many years...

Are you sure about this one? AFAIK, serviced offices for 1-3 people have been operating in Bangkok for many years...

It is true that a Service Office, Virtual office or a Hot Desk concept has been around for a number of years.

However as far as I know, the concept of having different companies be provided, an exclusive registered desk for a company in an office environment was our idea. The conception was to provide a registered work station in an office, with paperwork given which was required to register for VAT and Corp ID. I know one company that has since emulated us.

This concept has been perfect for the one man export operations. The client saves around 70% of the standard costs of a service office. He still has an big exclusive desk which beats out the virtual office or Hot Desk concept. More important it is legal when the labor dept, Vat Dept and other government offices come around to check if this company real or a sham. The plus side benefit has been the networking the members of the Executive Desk have been able to have, with meeting other expats. One of the biggest problems people have working from home is being motivated or they missed the office buzz. This helps with that issue.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com