Health Insurance

wayne07836

Happy New Year to everyone,

I am a 55 year old UK expat and just retired to Thailand, could anyone suggest a reasonably priced good Health care insurance company? 

I am in reasonably good health with no historic or recurring issues, I can cover costs for every day medical aliments but I am looking for cover if I have an accident or a serious illness that will be expensive.

Ohh I live in East Pattaya on the dark side, so the City is reasonably close.

Thanks in anticipation of helpful replies.

OP have a look and a read of some of the threads in the Insurance forum - a lot of good advice and things to consider.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/121-insurance-in-thailand/

From my own experience I would suggest that

6 minutes ago, wayne07836 said:

a reasonably priced good Health care insurance company?

is a bit of an oxymoron - depending on what you term reasonable.............

Also different policies from the same company can be wildly different in value and what they cover.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 8:31 PM, Halfaboy said:

I would suggest you to contact AA Insurance Brokers. They have an office in South Pattaya next to Big C.

Contact: Mr. Wim Fokkema, phone: +66 (0) 38 415 795-6, fax: +66 (0) 38 374 251, email: [email protected]

Have fun !

Thank you Sir, I just looked at there web site and will contact them this week

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 8:32 PM, topt said:

OP have a look and a read of some of the threads in the Insurance forum - a lot of good advice and things to consider.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/121-insurance-in-thailand/

From my own experience I would suggest that

is a bit of an oxymoron - depending on what you term reasonable.............

Also different policies from the same company can be wildly different in value and what they cover.

Thank you Sir, I did take a look at the Insurance forum but Health insurance did not seem to be a topic, but I will follow your link

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 8:42 PM, jpinx said:

Many threads on insurance in here.  I'd take a look at cigna and/or staysure for a baseline on costs and coverage.

I have been with Cigna for the last 7 years through my company at a cost of around $120 a month which I was happy to pay, but since leaving the company they are now quoting around $230 a month almost  double which I think is a little expensive

2 hours ago, wayne07836 said:

I have been with Cigna for the last 7 years through my company at a cost of around $120 a month which I was happy to pay, but since leaving the company they are now quoting around $230 a month almost  double which I think is a little expensive

Your ex-employer is probably getting a block discount which would be part of that difference for you as an individual, but there may be differences in the deductible and the cost sharing, also the add-on options too.  Did you get yourself a quote from Cigna online?  You can adjust those to see the effect and maybe find a compromise that would suit you. 

• 1 year later...
On 10/01/2017 at 5:55 AM, wayne07836 said:

Don't know what the currency is with regards to your quoted $230 (Australian or US for example) however your previous insurance company are {usually) obliged to keep treating you for conditions you have had under their policy, possibly up to a certain value, whereas a new policy will probably exclude previous events.

As other posters have said, there is plenty of info on these threads about health insurance and one poster in particular mentions that you should look at the small print, which you certainly should.

I say this because I have found some interesting facts with regards to my health insurance with BUPA here, all positive I may add. For example although they won't cover you fully for injuries sustained from a motorbike accident, they will pay up to 50% of the cost of treatment, which is unusual.

Furthermore if you have had an exclusion on your policy (i.e. through a previous illness) if that particular condition has not arisen for a period of a few years (I can't remember exactly how many now) then you are automatically covered for it again.

Although folks say that BUPA is expensive, and it might well be, I take advantage of the monthly payment regimen and have never had a problem with it, just handing over my BUPA card to the hospital and they do the rest directly with BUPA.

Also don't forget that with most insurance policies there is "stand down" period whereby you may/will not be covered for certain conditions if found within the first six months of cover (for example again).

As others have said many times over, look around and do your homework well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KrishnaCameb4Buddha said:

I suggest you also obtain a copy of the actual POLICY booklet (pdf file) BEFORE you purchase ANY insurance from ANYone in Thailand.  Brokers & agents in Thailand are notorious for claiming certain amounts and illnesses and accidents are covered when, in fact, they are NOT. 

When you receive the POLICY (not just the ‘Coverages’ page/brochure), turn to EXCLUSIONS and read those carefully.

Whatever the POLICY says is what the insurance will pay for.  What the broker/agent tells you is not legally binding.  The POLICY is what the insurance will pay for. 

For example, Bangkok Insurance Public Company Limited (aka Bangkok Insurance PCL) policy called “Happy 45+ Personal Accident Policy” says under Exclusions: “This insurance does not cover loss or injury while the insured is riding or traveling on a motorcycle."

It's a decent 'accident only' policy costing about 6500 baht for 200,000 baht Medical/Hospital but it flat-out won't pay for a motorcycle accident if you are riding or traveling on one. 

However, brokers/agents selling these policies will try and convince you it will indeed cover your Medical/Hospital bills if riding/traveling on a motorcycle.  But read the policy carefully and read the Exclusions especially. 

If you are interested in getting your HOSPITAL/MEDICAL bills paid with one of these policies, make sure you read the part of the POLICY that covers HOSPITAL & MEDICAL.  Those hospital/medical coverages are often way less than for what the policy pays for loss of eye, hand, life etc.

The above is just ONE example of how farang and Thai brokers in Thailand will tell you whatever you want to hear to get your business.  They can get away with this in Thailand where there are few or no consequences for fraud like this. 

In all promotional materials I have seen for this and similar policies it is clearly mentioned what is covered and the limitations.

Seems you had a bad experience and are now projecting that on 'brokers/agents selling these policies'.

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

In all promotional materials I have seen for this and similar policies it is clearly mentioned what is covered and the limitations.

Seems you had a bad experience and are now projecting that on 'brokers/agents selling these policies'.

No, it wasn't a bad experience.  It was a good experience.   Why? Because I didn't purchase this policy.

Then, there is the fact that  the 'Coverage/Schedule/Brochure' page says BKI will pay for loss of sight, life, limb (but no mention of medical) while driving or riding on a motorcycle, but the official, LEGALLY-Binding document---the POLICY--says:

This insurance does not cover loss or injury while the insured is riding or traveling on a motorcycle”.

How goofy is that?  A slick brochure/Coverage page which states they will pay for those things, but the actual POLICY says the exact opposite.

16 hours ago, KrishnaCameb4Buddha said:

No, it wasn't a bad experience.  It was a good experience.   Why? Because I didn't purchase this policy.

Then, there is the fact that  the 'Coverage/Schedule/Brochure' page says BKI will pay for loss of sight, life, limb (but no mention of medical) while driving or riding on a motorcycle, but the official, LEGALLY-Binding document---the POLICY--says:

This insurance does not cover loss or injury while the insured is riding or traveling on a motorcycle”.

How goofy is that?  A slick brochure/Coverage page which states they will pay for those things, but the actual POLICY says the exact opposite.

This can not be correct, there must be caveats in the brochure. In Thailand they can not get away with that, the insurance commission is really strict.

Edit: just checked the website, there is coverage for riding a motorbike, except for the senior plan. Medical expenses while riding a motorbike are covered only on the VIP plan.

Looks like you're confusing different plans and different coverages.

Edited by stevenl

You are the one confusing plans. Please re-read my posts.  I have been talking about the BKI PCL 'Happy45+ Accident Only' plan.   Yet you are talking about something called a VIP plan.  Comparing apples and oranges.

Regarding your statement that 'they cannot get away with conflicting info'.  Methinks you have not lived in Thailand very long.  Not only is there conflicting info on many levels of Thai business and society, there is outright fraud, lies and lack of rule of law.

Regarding the BKI PCL Happy 45+ plan I explicitly referred to: I clearly spelled out how, exactly, the slick brochure says 'we cover motorcycle accidents' (for life, limb, eye, disability---but NOTE: no mention for Medical/Hospital) BUT the actual POLICY document (the legally binding document) says, quote,

So even the coverages mentioned in the coverage/schedule slick brochure page on the Happy 45+--the ones for life, limb, eye, disability--even THOSE coverages are NOT covered, according to the POLICY.

Edited by KrishnaCameb4Buddha

1 hour ago, KrishnaCameb4Buddha said:

You are the one confusing plans. Please re-read my posts.  I have been talking about the BKI PCL 'Happy45+ Accident Only' plan.   Yet you are talking about something called a VIP plan.  Comparing apples and oranges.

Regarding your statement that 'they cannot get away with conflicting info'.  Methinks you have not lived in Thailand very long.  Not only is there conflicting info on many levels of Thai business and society, there is outright fraud, lies and lack of rule of law.

Regarding the BKI PCL Happy 45+ plan I explicitly referred to: I clearly spelled out how, exactly, the slick brochure says 'we cover motorcycle accidents' (for life, limb, eye, disability---but NOTE: no mention for Medical/Hospital) BUT the actual POLICY document (the legally binding document) says, quote,

So even the coverages mentioned in the coverage/schedule slick brochure page on the Happy 45+--the ones for life, limb, eye, disability--even THOSE coverages are NOT covered, according to the POLICY.

I used to work in insurance for many years, and have probably lived here longer than you. So your comments regarding this are not very wise.

One quote without the full article doesn't mean anything, and even then a full article can be declared void if it says so on the policy page. E.g., standard in the policy condition can be 'no coverage for motorbikes', on the policy page it can state: 'contrary to article ... for this policy medical expenses due to riding a motorbike are covered, provided ...'.

All in all I believe you're wrong, in Thailand a company can not get away with announcing 'this is covered' and when push comes to shove saying; 'it is not covered'. There is always more to it.

But please post the brochure or a link to a webpage saying this, and a PDF of the policy wording, and I'd be happy to tell you exactly what is going on.

Edited by stevenl

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

One quote without the full article doesn't mean anything, 

in Thailand a company can not get away with announcing 'this is covered' and when push comes to shove saying; 'it is not covered'.

"One quote without the full article doesn't mean anything,"

I posted an exact quote from the Exclusions page of the Policy in question (see attached) and you tell me one quote doesn't meant anything?  Seriously? You've worked in Insurance for years and you don't know that one 'quote' (an itemized Exclusion) can indeed mean something? 

"in Thailand a company can not get away with announcing 'this is covered' and when push comes to shove saying; 'it is not covered'."

Yet what you say can't happen, DID happen.  I gave a detailed example of how it DID happen, with quotes, and yet you continue to insist there can be no obfuscation, fraud or misrepresentation by Thai insurance companies. (see attached).

Your 'years in the industry'---by any chance were those spent selling insurance in Thailand?

Happy 45+ English.pdf

Policy Translation.pdf

KrishnaCameb4Budyou are both right and wrong. The standard Happy 45+ does not include cover for bike but ask your broker to add it as an ‘addition’ to the policy.

We used the ThaiVisa sponsors AA Brokers and talked to Peter and he had the riding of bikes included in my Happy 45 policy  :thumbsup:

47 minutes ago, KrishnaCameb4Buddha said:

"One quote without the full article doesn't mean anything,"

I posted an exact quote from the Exclusions page of the Policy in question (see attached) and you tell me one quote doesn't meant anything?  Seriously? You've worked in Insurance for years and you don't know that one 'quote' (an itemized Exclusion) can indeed mean something? 

"in Thailand a company can not get away with announcing 'this is covered' and when push comes to shove saying; 'it is not covered'."

Yet what you say can't happen, DID happen.  I gave a detailed example of how it DID happen, with quotes, and yet you continue to insist there can be no obfuscation, fraud or misrepresentation by Thai insurance companies. (see attached).

Your 'years in the industry'---by any chance were those spent selling insurance in Thailand?

Happy 45+ English.pdf

Policy Translation.pdf

Thanks.

As I suspected, this is a general accident policy, not Happy 45+ specific. So somebody who buys this policy should see on the first page of the policy, the one with name etc. on it, a statement similar to 'exclusion 2B is not applicable ...'. This is the policy schedule.

You are comparing specific information for a specific product (in your case Happy 45+ accident cover) with general information (all personal accident cover policies).

And again your jabs are wrong.

1 hour ago, canopus1969 said:

KrishnaCameb4Budyou are both right and wrong. The standard Happy 45+ does not include cover for bike but ask your broker to add it as an ‘addition’ to the policy.

We used the ThaiVisa sponsors AA Brokers and talked to Peter and he had the riding of bikes included in my Happy 45 policy  :thumbsup:

Thanks for your reply.  But you are confusing the 'Policy' with the Rider.  Moreover, whatever your broker sent you as a 'rider' or 'extended cover' will not, in fact, cover Medical/Hospital.

I already had this little scenario played out and the language I was sent by a broker did NOT say Medical/Hospital would be covered for driving/riding a motorcycle under the Happy 45+ plan.  And why would it?  No insurance company in their right mind would sell for a mere approx. 7000 baht a policy that covered 200,000 baht Medical bills for motorcycle accidents in thailand.  they would go out of business paying billions in damages.

If you read whatever your broker sent you carefully you will see there is no Medical/Hospital coverage under the Happy 45+ plan for riding/driving motorcycle, even though emails from your broker will say otherwise.  You will, however, see some very confusing language that is purposefully not clear, about 'driving/riding a motorcycle'.

Besides, the fact remains: the actual Policy says (in the Exclusions):

15 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Thanks.

As I suspected, this is a general accident policy, not Happy 45+ specific.

Wrong.  The Happy 45+ IS (is) a general accident policy and the policy I uploaded is an 'Accident Policy' both from BKI PCL.

Both of these were sent to me together because the broker and a Thai rep from the company said they are linked.  I have had extensive emails back and forth back and forth, with this broker and the Thai rep for BKI about these two documents and AT NO TIME did either one say the Happy45+ did not 'go with' the 'Accident Policy' (with specified Exclusion). 

They sent me these two documents PRECISELY BECAUSE they they go together.

Do you get it now?

MSIG, for example, will, for about 5,000 baht insure your new motorcycle for fire/theft/damage, and give you 50,000 baht MEDICAL coverage plus extensive third party payments.

Their language is clear and easy to understand.  But the Happy 45+ Accident Policy from BKI PCL is for accidents as long as they aren't for Medical/Hospital bills from your accident involving driving/riding motorcycle.  And, as pointed out, it may not even cover loss of life, limb, eye for motorcycle accident (as cover page states it will) because the Exclusion (THEY SENT ME) is clear as day:

I will not trust a company that says one thing on their coverage/schedule page and another in the Policy (that THEY sent me to go with the coverage page).

Many people, however, will want more coverage than 50,000 baht for Hospital/Medical for driving/riding a motorcycle.  Which is why it makes sense, if you can afford it, to buy a policy such as Imglobal (western company) or maybe a general health plan from a Thai company (but read the Exclusions in any case!).  These policies will cost 30,000 baht or more per year, but you should get way, way more than a mere 50,000 baht Medical/Hosp for accidents re driving/riding a motorcycle.

3 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

Sorry you are wrong KrishnaCameb4Bud, my Happy 45 has an extended agreement to include Medical expenses - period

As suggested talk to Peter at the sponsors AA, they have been around for ever and know what they are talking about

prove it.  Upload the documents.

Yes, it provides medical/hospital.  But only for accidents OTHER than driving/riding motorcycle

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

Sorry, you're wrong. " he Happy 45+ IS (is) a general accident policy and the policy I uploaded is an 'Accident Policy' both from BKI PCL. " Happy 45+ is a specific accident policy, the policy conditions uploaded are general. On the policy schedule the policy specific conditions will be mentioned.

But hey, apparently you know better than the people with the experience.

BTW, nice example why it is a good idea to use a good broker like AA with insurance questions.

Your faith in brokers is touching.  You are clearly having trouble understanding my second point: that brokers can say ANYthing, but it is the POLICY which is the legal document.  A broker is the reason I am making these posts: because the broker told me this 7,000 baht policy would pay my Medical/Hospital bills of 200,000 baht for driving/riding a motorcycle.  It will not.  The policy WILL pay for accidents but NOT for Medical/Hospital for motorcycle accidents.

The Policy I uploaded and the Personal Accident Happy45+ cover page I uploaded WERE sent to me by a broker.  The two things--Policy & Happy45+ Coverage page-- go together.   I already explained this to you.  I regret you are having difficulty understanding this. 

The entire point of this discussion was to show how, despite what a broker insisted, an 'Accident Policy" from BKI does NOT cover MEDICAL/HOSPITAL for driving/riding on a motorcycle--and it may not even cover loss of life/limb/eye/disability for driving/riding motorcycle (see below).

And you yourself may be a  broker--or a friend of a broker--and, if so, you have doubly proved my point: that weasel words, and weasel sentences and weasel posts cannot change the wording of the Policy and that brokers in Thailand can get away with saying all sorts of things they couldn't get away with in a place with strict rules for insurance misrepresentation.

The wording of the Policy is what rules.  If a broker tells you that your medical bills are covered while driving/riding a motorcycle but the POLICY THE BROKER SENT YOU  says this--“This insurance does not cover loss or injury while the insured is riding or traveling on a motorcycle"--then THAT is what rules.

And if the coverage page--for ex, the "Personal Accident Happy 45+"--says NOTHING about Medical/Hospital for driving/riding motorcycle, then that is even more proof BKI PCL will not be paying your Medical/Hospital bills for driving/riding motorcycle.  (The 'Personal Accident Happy 45+" coverage page just says 'medical for accidents' but the 'accidents' they are talking about are accidents EXCLUDING driving/riding motorcycle.  Always read the Exclusions section)

And if you point these things out to your broker, they may then send you an Extended Cover page, as they did with me.   But if the so-called 'extended cover rider' they send you does not say clearly something like 'This policy is hereby amended to pay his Medical/Hospital bills while driving/riding a motorcycle', then you know beyond a reasonable doubt that they are full of s*#t.  What you WILL see on their so-called 'Extended Cover' is the following--just note that nowhere on that so-called 'Extended Cover' does it CLEARLY say you will be covered that way.  What is says goes like this: " Medical Treatment will be paidbut not exceeding the sum insured specified in the POLICY schedule”.

Get it?  The broker sends you emails telling you "Our Personal Accident Happy 45+ will pay your medical/hospital for driving/riding motorcycle".  Then when you point out the language in their legal documents that says they will Not pay for that then your broker says 'Hey, we can send you an extended cover" and when you read it you notice that nowhere in the document does it say your Medical Hospital for driving/riding motorcycle. What it says goes like what was sent me: Medical Treatment will be paid but not exceeding the sum insured specified in the POLICY schedule”.

The full ‘sentence’ is actually this: “The coverage description of item 4 Medical Expense under the Insuring Agreement of Or (sic) Bor (sic) 1. (sic) is deemed to cancel and to replace (sic) by herebelow (sic) stated: “Coverage for….medical treatment..etc “but not exceeding the sum insured specified in the Policy schedule”.

And we all know what the Policy and the Policy Schedule says about medical/hospital-riding-driving-motorcycle.  Nothing!

And note one more thing.  No extra money was being asked of me for this so-called 'Extended Cover'.  Why?  The reason is: there really is no extended cover! 

Note: I am uploading this 'Extended Cover' document now in this post, so now you can see the actual document. 

Note that it does not say "medical treatment for driving/riding motorcycle'.  And the most important language is the following "the sum insured specified in the POLICY schedule".  And, guess what!!?? The 'Policy Schedule" says NOTHING about Medical/Hosp driving/riding motorcycle. The Policy Schedule talks about loss of life, limb, eye, disability.  But the real kicker--the real reason even THIS life/limb/etc coverage is in doubt is because the actual Policy Exclusion says -“This insurance does not cover loss or injury while the insured is riding or traveling on a motorcycle". 

If Bangkok Insurance PCL (BKI PCL) wants to claim their 'Personal Accident Happy 45+ will pay for Medical/Hospital (or loss of limb/life/disability) while riding/driving a motorcycle then the policy and the coverage page needs to clearly say this.  But if anywhere in the documents it says (as the BKI PCL says) the following--“This insurance does not cover loss or injury while the insured is riding or traveling on a motorcycle"--then that should be a huge WARNING sign. 

Words from brokers are NOT what determines what the policy pays for. 

How many people do you think have been fooled by this kind of sleight-of-hand language?

document click below:

Extended Cover for Personal Accident BKI PCL.pdf

It seems you are in denial as you say you are not covered for bike accidents then you add a document which says you are ?

Being old I also have the Happy 45 policy and know 100% that it does cover motorcycle accidents, period – why, well I was in (a self-inflicted ) accident and claimed against the Happy 45 policy in a hospital without a problem.

Bought the policy from AA insurance brokers - have found them to be excellent and would always recommend them

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JoePai said:

It seems you are in denial as you say you are not covered for bike accidents then you add a document which says you are ?

Being old I also have the Happy 45 policy and know 100% that it does cover motorcycle accidents, period – why, well I was in (a self-inflicted ) accident and claimed against the Happy 45 policy in a hospital without a problem.

Bought the policy from AA insurance brokers - have found them to be excellent and would always recommend them

You say "It seems you are in denial as you say you are not covered for bike accidents then you add a document which says you are ?"

You are having trouble with comprehension.  None of the documents I quoted or uploaded say one is covered by Happy45+ from Bangkok Insurance PCL for Med expenses driving/riding motorcycle.  The entire point of my posts was to show how brokers tell falsehoods about coverage when the actual Policy documents flat-out say "You are NOT COVERED..." for motorcycle accidents.

Could you upload your hospital receipts and BKI payment receipts so you can prove what you are saying?  (I'll wait).

You say "I also have the Happy 45 policy and know 100% that it does cover motorcycle accidents, period "

You sound like a cheerleader/salesmen/broker for AA!  Just like the broker who fed me a line of B.S.

Wouldn't it be nice if words from salesmen/brokers were what counted in insurance policies?

Alas, words from brokers don't count, especially in Thailand.

Here are the words from the very policy (sent me by an AA broker!) which you falsely claim provides Medical for driving riding motorcycle:

“This insurance does not cover loss or injury while the insured is riding or traveling on a motorcycle"

So you say Happy 45+ doesn't cover motorbike accidents, based on a general exclusion. When pointed out to you that it can be included on the policy schedule you ignore that.

When pointed out to you by people that have used the Happy 45+ insurance due to motorbike accidents that you're incorrect since they were covered you keep on about the same general exclusion.

Please stop, you're wrong, and giving incorrect information here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

So you say Happy 45+ doesn't cover motorbike accidents, based on a general exclusion. When pointed out to you that it can be included on the policy schedule you ignore that.

When pointed out to you by people that have used the Happy 45+ insurance due to motorbike accidents that you're incorrect since they were covered you keep on about the same general exclusion.

Please stop, you're wrong, and giving incorrect information here.

You say "based on a general exclusion"

It is not a 'general exclusion'.  It is a specific exclusion.  It says, Specifically, " --“This insurance does not cover loss or injury while the insured is riding or traveling on a motorcycle" .

You say "When pointed out to you that it can be included on the policy schedule you ignore that".

'Can be' included?  Are you mad?  It cannot be included in a Policy that says “This insurance does not cover loss or injury while the insured is riding or traveling on a motorcycle"Only the wording in the legal documents from the company count---not some wishful thinking from posters such as yourself.

The only time it was claimed it is covered is by a broker--a salesmen--from AA, and the words of a salesmen have no legal force regarding the actual insurance policy documents.   It is your pipe dream to say it is 'can be' included when it is specifically Excluded.  I uploaded the documents supplied me by the company, and I quoted extensively from those documents in my posts, and there is no language in there whatsoever that provides Medical/Hospital for riding/driving a motorcycle. Yet you say, it CAN BE included" so perhaps you are hallucinating.

Like I said, this Happy45+ may be an okay policy for accidents as long as those accidents don't involve driving/riding motorcycles and especially as long as you don't expect Medical/Hospital to be paid for that.  If this Happy45+ policy really, truly covered riding/driving motorcycle then it would not have the following wording in their Policy:  “This insurance does not cover loss or injury while the insured is riding or traveling on a motorcycle" .

You say "you're...giving incorrect information here".

On the contrary, I have given information Exactly as it was given to me by the company or their representatives, from the very Policy wording of the insurance in question and I have uploaded the documents in question,, documents sent to me by the company.  All you have given is generalized mumbo-jumbo, backed up by nothing more than a wish and a prayer and a saleman's song.  In fact, it is you who is misleading people with your unproven, undocumented statements.

Why are you trying so hard to defend the indefensible?  Could it be you are an insurance salesman...say, working in Thailand?