Tourist Visa - Hull Consulate

Hi all,

I'm planning on returning to Thailand in the next two weeks and have just been on the Royal Thai Consulate website as I'm planning on driving to Hull to pick it up. It's been a little while since I've had to do one of these, so forgive me if I'm a little behind on developments. 

Going back about 3 years there used to be a double entry tourist visa which each entry granting the holder a stay of 60 days. This doesn't appear to be on the website now (only single entry and multiple entry). Having a look at the crtieria for the multiple entry, given that I have been the last three years in Thailand, having £5000 minimum go through my account counts me out for this type of visa. So I think I might be looking at a single entry visa. Can someone tell me if there is such a thing as a double entry visa these days or has this been abolished? And, if that is the case, if I did have to get a single entry visa would it be still be possible to do a visa run to get another 60 days? I find it hard to keep up with every changing requirements so was hoping someone can fill me in? The last time I did a visa run was to Laos and that involved a gruelling 9 hour each way trip on a van. Is this still the only best way to do a visa run or have other quicker routes been opened?

Also how has anyone found the process at Hull? Is it relatively painless?

Thanks all for your help. :smile: Trolls keep scrolling :spamsign:

Edited by farang1979

How old are you?

I am an American and I got a Non O visa in Hull in October 2010.

Many changes since that time.

Took the train from London to Hull at that time.

No longer possible to do what I did then.

Maybe you can still get a Single Entry Tourist visa from there.

Good luck.

Double (and triple) entry tourist visas were abolished a little over a year ago.

You will have no problem getting a single entry tourist visa from Hull. It is better to make an appointment if you want them to do the visa while you wait.

The initial 60-day entry can be extended for another 30 days without leaving Thailand on payment of 1,900 baht. You can travel to consulates in several neighboring countries to get a fresh single entry tourist visa.

• Like 1

wrong, just called them today, not an appointment system no more, just turn up and get ur visa. 1 thing i do not like, a single entry visa for 60 days they said is free now, but hull charges 20 pound admin fee in cash, see what i mean?, im going tmrw for mine, keep u posted if i can get a receipt

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ericnoodeeka said:

wrong, just called them today, not an appointment system no more, just turn up and get ur visa. 1 thing i do not like, a single entry visa for 60 days they said is free now, but hull charges 20 pound admin fee in cash, see what i mean?, im going tmrw for mine, keep u posted if i can get a receipt

Hull is a honorary consulate and their only revenue is from visa fees. The were charging 10 pound as a service charge for same day service before when they could collect a fee for a single entry tourist visa. The 20 pound fee is to fully cover their costs and perhaps a small profit.

• Like 2

Have a look here for correct info on Hull as of October 2016, a SETV is £25 plus £10 admin fee so will cost you £35 in total, you do not need to book an appointment for a SETV, all required info in link I posted in October, as said you can then extend for another 30 days at Immigration for 1900Bhat

Hope this helps you

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, farang1979 said:

Guys thanks for your insight and help. Ericnoodeeka let me know how you get on tomorrow, anything I should know.

Just so I understand, I can get the initial 60 day extended by 30 days and the SECOND 60 days extended by 30 days too?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You only et 1 x 60 + 30 days per visa.  If you want another you will have to go out to a nearby consulate for it.

You only et 1 x 60 + 30 days per visa.  If you want another you will have to go out to a nearby consulate for it.

Could you explain this a bit more please? So I can get a 30 day extension for the first visa. That bit I understand. What do you mean by "nearby consulate"? A neighbouring country, I'm assuming?

Perhaps if you stated where you intend to stay in Thailand, we could inform you of your local Immigration office to get a 30 day extension, and which would be the best Consulate /Embassy to get another TV from.

Well I've lived in Thailand for 3 years in Bangkok so I'd just go to Chaeng Wattana immigration office. Unless you know different, the best place to get another TV would be Laos wouldn't it?

2 minutes ago, farang1979 said:

Well I've lived in Thailand for 3 years in Bangkok so I'd just go to Chaeng Wattana immigration office. Unless you know different, the best place to get another TV would be Laos wouldn't it?

Chaeng Wattana would be the only location in Bangkok and Vientiane or Savannakhet Laos for the visa.

• Like 1

I drove to Hull from  Basingstoke in August last year. £35 and they did it while I waited.  There was someone leaving as I arrived but no one else so no queue and no wait. An elderly and very pleasant British man did it for me. I can't remember if I got a receipt. I just wanted a visa and didn't care about a receipt. I think I was in and out within 15 minutes. 

A month later, my friend applied to London by post and got his back in just over a week I believe. I would have done the same if I hadn't been on my way to visit Aberdeen. It's expensive to travel in the UK. 

Edited by paulsingle
Additional info

I drove to Hull from  Basingstoke in August last year. £35 and they did it while I waited.  There was someone leaving as I arrived but no one else so no queue and no wait. An elderly and very pleasant British man did it for me. I can't remember if I got a receipt. I just wanted a visa and didn't care about a receipt. I think I was in and out within 15 minutes. 
A month later, my friend applied to London by post and got his back in just over a week I believe. I would have done the same if I hadn't been on my way to visit Aberdeen. It's expensive to travel in the UK. 

Thanks for the information Paul. Having a look on their website Mon-Fri there doesn't appear to be the need for an appointment. Should hopefully be a quick and painless process. I'll update here once I've been in so anyone else can have a look.

• Like 1

Hi all,

I'm planning on returning to Thailand in the next two weeks and have just been on the Royal Thai Consulate website as I'm planning on driving to Hull to pick it up. It's been a little while since I've had to do one of these, so forgive me if I'm a little behind on developments. 

Going back about 3 years there used to be a double entry tourist visa which each entry granting the holder a stay of 60 days. This doesn't appear to be on the website now (only single entry and multiple entry). Having a look at the crtieria for the multiple entry, given that I have been the last three years in Thailand, having £5000 minimum go through my account counts me out for this type of visa. So I think I might be looking at a single entry visa. Can someone tell me if there is such a thing as a double entry visa these days or has this been abolished? And, if that is the case, if I did have to get a single entry visa would it be still be possible to do a visa run to get another 60 days? I find it hard to keep up with every changing requirements so was hoping someone can fill me in? The last time I did a visa run was to Laos and that involved a gruelling 9 hour each way trip on a van. Is this still the only best way to do a visa run or have other quicker routes been opened?

Also how has anyone found the process at Hull? Is it relatively painless?

Thanks all for your help. :smile: Trolls keep scrolling :spamsign:

It's like that in Liverpool. I'm sure I had to let them know when I was going as the consulate was an old girl in an office above a jewelers.
Anyway. Whole thing cost me 15-20 minutes and £65 I think, for 6 months. Maybe £75 been a long time since I was a tourist.

I went to hull recently (Sept 2016)  - just turned up  - they were very helpful .

However I turned up for a Multi Entry Non O visa and they were not allowed to do these anymore - 2 days before I went !! and they stated these type of visa's

could only be done in london now    

but they did sort out  a  single entry  non O visa  - however they still had to send it off to london  and then they forward me the visa in the post - once authorised

by London.  (on reading my statements as to what happened  - they must have lost there authority on Non 0 !!)

So I would give then a call  to find out the situation  -  as  I stated they are very helpful

regards

Richard   

As I said Re Hull is all in the link above, best time to get there is 10.30 Tuesday to Thursday this is from the staff at Hull, There was about 8 people in front of me on my visit (I arrived about 11.30 but I was still on my way out the door with a SETV after 40 mins.

Liverpool is slightly different and last I checked they require you book an appointment for SETV so NA for the OP. I live in Manchester (nearer to Liverpool) but still use Hull as they provide a great service, NO Booking required at Hull for SETV.

On 1/5/2017 at 8:40 AM, oporhatch said:

I went to hull recently (Sept 2016)  - just turned up  - they were very helpful .

However I turned up for a Multi Entry Non O visa and they were not allowed to do these anymore - 2 days before I went !! and they stated these type of visa's

but they did sort out  a  single entry  non O visa  - however they still had to send it off to london  and then they forward me the visa in the post - once authorised

by London.  (on reading my statements as to what happened  - they must have lost there authority on Non 0 !!)

So I would give then a call  to find out the situation  -  as  I stated they are very helpful

regards

Richard   

Thanks for the info on the SE Non O, was aware regarding the Multi but was not sure about the Single, saves me a phone call and will prep for a postal application. My extension will expire when I am in the UK and will need a Non O to come back.

regards
Richard   

Do they have application forms there or is it advisable to print one off from their website? I rang them yesterday but all their lines were busy.

Brexit is narrowing my retirement options, and turning a load of dough into Baht isn't attractive.

The only thing that really kills me about the UK is the weather, so six months somewhere with decent weather would be enough. You can (effectively) get 90 days on a tourist visa,. An awful lot of people seem to be saying that going to a neighbouring country for another tourist visa - and another 90 days - is fraught with difficulty. The consular staff might say, "Get raffled, you;re effectively staying in the kingdom". Does flying back to the West create a whole new picture? If you did Oct-Dec on a tourist visa issued in the UK, and came home for Christmas, would another UK-issued tourist visa raise not an eyebrow? 

Brexit is narrowing my retirement options, and turning a load of dough into Baht isn't attractive.

The only thing that really kills me about the UK is the weather, so six months somewhere with decent weather would be enough. You can (effectively) get 90 days on a tourist visa,. An awful lot of people seem to be saying that going to a neighbouring country for another tourist visa - and another 90 days - is fraught with difficulty. The consular staff might say, "Get raffled, you;re effectively staying in the kingdom". Does flying back to the West create a whole new picture? If you did Oct-Dec on a tourist visa issued in the UK, and came home for Christmas, would another UK-issued tourist visa raise not an eyebrow? 

It's not that difficult to get another tourist visa from Laos. I have done it myself twice. The only hard part about it is the journey. If you go with an agency like thaivisa.com then they do everything for you. You just show up and wait. In regards to your last question, I don't think that'd be a problem at all. As long as there is a valid visa in your passport that's all that matters.

2 minutes ago, farang1979 said:

It's not that difficult to get another tourist visa from Laos. I have done it myself twice. The only hard part about it is the journey. If you go with an agency like thaivisa.com then they do everything for you. You just show up and wait. In regards to your last question, I don't think that'd be a problem at all. As long as there is a valid visa in your passport that's all that matters.

There's an awful lot of mutter from the gutter that they're fed up with visa runs and repeat tourist visas. My pal got the multiple entry tourist visa despite there being additional aggravation. From Udon/Nong Khai a border run isn't difficult, but what would be difficult would be standing in Laos with no visa, while your clothes and expectations were in Isaan :smile:

There's an awful lot of mutter from the gutter that they're fed up with visa runs and repeat tourist visas. My pal got the multiple entry tourist visa despite there being additional aggravation. From Udon/Nong Khai a border run isn't difficult, but what would be difficult would be standing in Laos with no visa, while your clothes and expectations were in Isaan :smile:

I take your point absolutely. There's always grumblings as about how immigration is done and changes are always afoot. From my point of view it's slightly different in that I'm doing it as a temporary solution as I will find work and turn the TV into a Non B and get a work permit. That said, 20% of Thailand's GDP is made from tourism. They make it hard for people to stay in this country for either pleasure or business and that's ALOT of baht that's gonna go down the gutter. People will just go to Vietnam or South Korea or any of the other countries in SE Asia. I don't think it's something they want to change. From recent posts, it seems they're becoming more discerning on what type of tourist they let into the country, so just wear a polo shirt and jeans and proper shoes and you should be fine.

16 minutes ago, farang1979 said:

I take your point absolutely. There's always grumblings as about how immigration is done and changes are always afoot. From my point of view it's slightly different in that I'm doing it as a temporary solution as I will find work and turn the TV into a Non B and get a work permit. That said, 20% of Thailand's GDP is made from tourism. They make it hard for people to stay in this country for either pleasure or business and that's ALOT of baht that's gonna go down the gutter. People will just go to Vietnam or South Korea or any of the other countries in SE Asia. I don't think it's something they want to change. From recent posts, it seems they're becoming more discerning on what type of tourist they let into the country, so just wear a polo shirt and jeans and proper shoes and you should be fine.

The thing I find hard to deal with is that you can't really infer intentions from the things they do. You get the distinct impression that autocratic habits mean that if someone in a position of authority says., "I think we should do 'x'", nobody will say, "Why would you want to do that? What change in behaviour do you think would follow from this change in the rules, and how does that change advance our interests?" That kind of "western" talk isn't hard-wired into the culture, so a labyrinth of rules is created, and nobody can look at the sum of all the rules and say, "What they're trying to ensure is...."