Banded Krait Disposal Help Wanted

chickens4me

We have recently seen 2 banded Kraits (identification is correct).  I've phoned the Mae Sai Snake Farm for assistance but it seems they are not interested.  Does anyone have any info./contacts as to who I should phone for removal please??  The snakes are in the pond of our Children's Home so it's preferable that the snakes be gone.  We are in Sansai, Chiang Mai. Thanks.

First stop should be your village head (Puyai Baan), he should have the details of the local "snake chap" who will come and remove the creatures for a nominal fee.

No warranty implied or inferred as to the fate of the snakes afterwards mind.

I cant answer your question but this might help if you can't get someone in.

I seem to remember reading somewhere on the forum that the road rescue people are able to deal with them, I am sure you will have their number.

I get those and black spitting cobras in the pond and in the swimming pool quite often, we catch them in the swimming pool leaf net which has a VERY long handle then throw them over the wall.  

Interestingly the local little hospital close to us keeps stock of antivenin for kraits but not for cobras

We had a reticulated python behind the house last year, the neighbour wanted to take a machete to it but I suggested we get someone to take it away. A call to our Thetsaban got us the number of the Hat Yai animal rescue who dispatched a couple of 'snake wranglers'; they extricated the chap from the neighbours chicken run netting, popped him in a sack and took him away. No charge, but we gave them a couple of hundred for their troubles.

python_1 mar-16.jpg

python_2 mar-16.jpg

We get them at our home too.  We jus leave them alone and they go away no problems.

How are they in the pond?  Can't they get out?  They are nocturnal snakes and will coil up and hide their heads in the middle if disturbed...  and don't usually try to bite. They are also sluggish and slow moving.  Bites by this species of snake of very low... and fatalities even rarer.

However, as you have children about the place its best to get someone from your village to remove them.  If I was near you I would catch them for you.  If the villagers do it they will kill the snakes for sure. 

Here is one outside my front door. 

WP_20140831.jpg

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

First stop should be your village head (Puyai Baan), he should have the details of the local "snake chap" who will come and remove the creatures for a nominal fee.

No warranty implied or inferred as to the fate of the snakes afterwards mind.

Indeed Crossy! They will no doubt go towards filling someone's stomach rather than being looked after at a snake sanctuary.

2 hours ago, Stocky said:

We had a reticulated python behind the house last year, the neighbour wanted to take a machete to it but I suggested we get someone to take it away. A call to our Thetsaban got us the number of the Hat Yai animal rescue who dispatched a couple of 'snake wranglers'; they extricated the chap from the neighbours chicken run netting, popped him in a sack and took him away. No charge, but we gave them a couple of hundred for their troubles.

python_1 mar-16.jpg

python_2 mar-16.jpg

It's along way from Hat Yai to Chiang Mai, do you think that they will come that far ?

2 hours ago, Rimmer said:

I cant answer your question but this might help if you can't get someone in.

I seem to remember reading somewhere on the forum that the road rescue people are able to deal with them, I am sure you will have their number.

I get those and black spitting cobras in the pond and in the swimming pool quite often, we catch them in the swimming pool leaf net which has a VERY long handle then throw them over the wall.  

Interestingly the local little hospital close to us keeps stock of antivenin for kraits but not for cobras

Nice to see you let them wriggle off. 

19 hours ago, alfieconn said:

It's along way from Hat Yai to Chiang Mai, do you think that they will come that far ?

Facepalm.jpg

555 - I doubt it, but the OPs Puyaibaan or Thetsaban should be able to direct them so someone who can help.

Thanks everyone for your replies.  Have contacted local headman at our Tessaban.  Hopefully will hear of progress today when I return.  The krait (and what looks like at least one baby) are living in our pond behind a clump of rocks cemented into the pond.  Seems there is a cavity there for them to hide in.  Periodically during the day they swim out of their hiding place, which is how we noticed them.  One of our young boys went for a swim in this pond a few weeks back!  Didn't know about the snakes then.