I need a helping hand in form of some advice, please...

lostinisaan

Happy New Year,

I'm having this problem for a while but no idea what it's causing it. It's my private PC I bought for my school because they don't have enough money to do so.

I did the upgrade from 7 to 10, run W 10 Pro with MS Office 2016. I'm using a USB stick to connect to the Internet wireless and everything is working well, excluding inserting an online photo into a Office Word document ( always tells me I'm offline)

And I can't get online with the Edge browser.  It would be great if there's an easy solution as a direct connection would be a lot of work and I'm not planning to stay here anyway.

Thanks a lot for any information. I'm using google, can have 8 windows open and all other stuff is working well. Cheers-

3 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

I'm using a USB stick to connect to the Internet wireless and everything is working well, excluding inserting an online photo into a Office Word document ( always tells me I'm offline)

And I can't get online with the Edge browser.

Hmm. Possibly an erroneous proxy/network configuration in the internet settings.

You seem to have a proclivity for installing strange software and fiddling with settings. I suspect that if you avoided doing both then you would not have these problems, but I'm just a retired IT consultant so what do I know?

20 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Hmm. Possibly an erroneous proxy/network configuration in the internet settings.

You seem to have a proclivity for installing strange software and fiddling with settings. I suspect that if you avoided doing both then you would not have these problems, but I'm just a retired IT consultant so what do I know?

I'm connected to the Internet via a TP Link USB stick Everything else works well, but I can't get my MS Office online, plus the new browser doesn't work.

Sorry for asking such a difficult question. 

P.S. I just found out that I don't have access to the Store and plenty of the new gadgets that came with W 10 Pro. 

It must be an easy setting, I can't get online via Google to get to the Microsoft shop. 

Check your internet connection.png

21 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

you download the photo once, paste it into the documents once, print many times.

i cant see how this is mor difficult than linking.

one wonders who is the stupid one here.

You should see me producing a worksheet, some of them with a few photos. There's no time t go the old way, sorry, didn't mean to insult you. 

I'm sure it works with LAN, so it must be a WIFI problem. 

What about Internet Explorer? Does that work?

I would tend to agree with KittenKong, likely a network issue e.g. DNS requests being blocked somewhere such as by a firewall or anti-virus.

Chrome working but not Edge and some other MS services is the clue. What about Windows Update? Working?

You could try entering an IP address rather than a URL to check DNS.

For example, instead of entering www.tot.co.th into the Edge address bar, try 203.113.8.211

9 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

I'm connected to the Internet via a TP Link USB stick Everything else works well, but I can't get my MS Office online, plus the new browser doesn't work.

Sorry for asking such a difficult question.

P.S. I just found out that I don't have access to the Store and plenty of the new gadgets that came with W 10 Pro.

It must be an easy setting, I can't get online via Google to get to the Microsoft shop. 

Edge, IE, MS Office, MS Store etc all share some of the same internet connection settings. Other non-MS programmes often bypass these.

You need to check the LAN settings under "connections" in the Internet Options (search for that name in the start menu). They should be on the default.

You may also need to put all security settings back to the default from the "security" tab of the same dialogue box.

And you may have some odd settings in whatever options you have for the wifi connection, though those will depend somewhat on what is managing the connection.

Or you may have installed some third-party software that is messing things up. If so the only easy answer may be to restore Windows to the factory settings and never install any third-party "speeding up" software.

Of course I'm assuming that your Windows is entirely legitimate and not some Thai knock-off.

Archived