Don't buy TOT Fiber. Just don't.

Last 2 days were just horrible.

Although Uplink is OK, I'm getting 5-10 Megabits downlink on what's supposed to be a 60 Megabit line (see attachment).

International speeds are also almost non-existent during evenings.

Any other good providers on the island?

Снимок экрана 2017-01-04 в 19.41.22.png

I just did another test. It gave me my regular 60/20 to Bangkok.

(i'm on a wire).

They throttle at random times.

And when they throttle - it becomes unusable.

Totally unreliable.

Edited by ethaniel

Another fun fact.

I have a load balancer with 3 TOT (60, 60 and 20 down) lines and I just overloaded it with downloading a huge torrent.

Turns out that no matter how big your fiber line is in TOT, you get around 10 Megabits of international bandwidth per line.

More lies from TOT.

Снимок экрана 2017-01-04 в 23.53.55.png

I spoke to all the main suppliers as my wife needed reliable internet for work.  When pressed they all told me the same thing.  They basically sell you a supposed speed service but they then sell the same capacity to additional customers (TOT admitted usually up to around 10).  If none of the others are using the internet you get good speed once they are all streaming or downloading it can crawl.

We ended up going for Bluechip.  They are more expensive but you get the full speed you pay for.  They also constantly monitor the service and have been very responsive to resolve problems.

[email protected]

Quite a coincidence you picked blue chips, eh? Perhaps you get an employee rate? Seems a good business idea, but how do you get around the bottlenecks further up the networks? In my case, the lack of hotspots for the entire South and West (not including Nathon) sides of the island make this not an option. Still, looks like potentially a good solution for many people. I am not a heavy user, get by with TOT, 3BB, regular packages and my AIS 3.5 G for multiple redundancy.

I had True and 3BB at my house for years and also access to a TOT line. Forget about two of them, just get 3BB and you will be fine. Some experience before at other Samui locations. Maybe also the new AIS Fibre could be worth trying.

Your speed up to first proxy is the speed you buy – speed out in the real CyberWorld is depending of Sun and back-wind, and most of all from where you wish to transfer data. Some days are Okay, other's not, as you on a "normal" line also share it with up to 10 others; week-ends may be worse than week-days, if your share-partners sits home and download heavy movies, so you are already restricted before you get outside the island. I've tried a dedicated, so-called professional line at 10 times the normal cost, but out into the real World it was not that much of a difference, not at all to justify the price. That's why some has good experience with 3BB, others with TOT, and some with something else – I'm very happy with TOT, and had bad experience with 3BB; others the opposite – I even have a back-bone, but when it's the usual router-failure over in Surat Thani, my back-bones is also down...:post-4641-1156693976:

Edited by khunPer

4 hours ago, CaptainS said:

I had True and 3BB at my house for years and also access to a TOT line. Forget about two of them, just get 3BB and you will be fine. Some experience before at other Samui locations. Maybe also the new AIS Fibre could be worth trying.

Hmm, since AIS Fibre is new - probably it's not overloaded by customers yet. Worth trying.

6 minutes ago, ethaniel said:

Hmm, since AIS Fibre is new - probably it's not overloaded by customers yet. Worth trying.

I'd call TOT and have them come and look at it...  I use 3bb and the few times it has drastically slowed down they usually fix it pretty fast, or reset something at HQ,  but given weather conditions one would probably have to wait until it clears up if it's the line!

20 hours ago, islandguy said:

Quite a coincidence you picked blue chips, eh? Perhaps you get an employee rate? Seems a good business idea, but how do you get around the bottlenecks further up the networks? In my case, the lack of hotspots for the entire South and West (not including Nathon) sides of the island make this not an option. Still, looks like potentially a good solution for many people. I am not a heavy user, get by with TOT, 3BB, regular packages and my AIS 3.5 G for multiple redundancy.

I have no connection with Bluechip but have just found them excellent.  Before using them we simultaneously used 3 different suppliers so that at least one would usually be working but still had problems with all being slow at peak times.  With Bluechip we get outages if there are longish power cuts and the UPS goes down further down the network,  but that seems to be it. 

8 minutes ago, futsukayoi said:

I have no connection with Bluechip but have just found them excellent.  Before using them we simultaneously used 3 different suppliers so that at least one would usually be working but still had problems with all being slow at peak times.  With Bluechip we get outages if there are longish power cuts and the UPS goes down further down the network,  but that seems to be it. 

Sounds reasonable. I thought you were working for blue chips because of the email address you put at the end of your first post on this thread. I thought it was your address. I see now that that is probably you offering the rest of us a way to contact this company.

Thanks for sharing the info, we certainly need better infrastructure around here......

8 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Friend of mine had his ADSL line going up  and down.

Technician from 3BB came and fixed it on new year day, good service.

Mouse had had half the cable for breakfast......

Not friend of mine, but me, had an ADSL line that completely stopped working.:crying:  Called 3BB, they said technician will come tomorrow, me :smile:;  technician came and said, cable broken somewhere, need to put a new cable up, come back tomorrow; me :smile: and waited next day, but no technician:unsure:; called 3BB the following day, and they said that technician busy, come next week;:whistling:  waited again, no technician,:unsure:  same story about "busy, next week" when I went to 3BB office.:sad:  After almost two month with repeating "busy, next week", me now very :post-4641-1156693976: and contacted TOT, technician came next day and made a brand new ADSL-line :wai: – good service...

20 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

I'd call TOT and have them come and look at it...  

We've got 3 TOT lines. All of them went down at the same time. Which suggests that there is a bottleneck somewhere on the TOT line and they are throttling everyone's speeds.

Time to change the provider.

4 hours ago, ethaniel said:

We've got 3 TOT lines. All of them went down at the same time. Which suggests that there is a bottleneck somewhere on the TOT line and they are throttling everyone's speeds.

Me think you should start your own service. Then B'........it  stops.You are a Waste of bandwidth..

4 hours ago, ethaniel said:

We had 2 lines with TOT.
Both terminated.
It's just like you say; they are throttling everyone's speeds.

Complain Call in the call center, and then it is good for one day.
After they turn down the bandwidth again.
After 30-40 complain calls it was finally only annoying.
Switched to 3BB Fiber. 
Good so far.

Knock on wood.