Rayong cop on big bike killed on way home to see mum and dad

webfact

i see this every day , scooters pulling out from my sub soi, into a busy, dual carriageway without even looking, an accident  going to happen soon, scooters turning right across 2 lanes without looking over their shoulders, no indication, to us its just natural survival instinct,but in Thailand, the locals just dont think.

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Is 3 on a bike legal over here now ?

Wow.. lol.. you think a one year old child is the same as an adult?

It's funny to see foreigners talking about Thai law..

Blame the Big Biker, Blame The Small Biker, Blame the van driver, Blame the Car driver that's all I read here

How about everyone blaming The Ministry Of Transport Head and the government for not enforcing the rules of the road

Education and the lack of training is the problem here, as nothing like this happens  (numbers) like it has in the last few days here,  In other countries it never happens on this scale day after day a senseless waste of life because people don't care.

13 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Blame the Big Biker, Blame The Small Biker, Blame the van driver, Blame the Car driver that's all I read here

How about everyone blaming The Ministry Of Transport Head and the government for not enforcing the rules of the road

Education and the lack of training is the problem here, as nothing like this happens  (numbers) like it has in the last few days here,  In other countries it never happens on this scale day after day a senseless waste of life because people don't care.

Mai pen rai...jai yen yen, two of the first few phrases you would learn when living here...and for a reason!

8 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

+ 1 Education is the keyword to the problems. All foreigners who visit places countryside and see plenty of students sitting on top of the roof of a Songtaew, because it's so crowded, all alerts would go on and foreigners will immediately call them dumb and not having "common sense."

Certainly, there's a different type of "common sense" when growing up in a developing country such as Lieland.

Neither do the students know that they just fall off when the driver has to hit the brakes nor does the driver understand Murphy's laws.

Common sense isn't given by birth, it's something that we all develop independently when we grow up, burn our fingers at a stove, etc..

And people in LOS do have a completely different type of common sense. 

You can't ride a big bike in Thailand without being paranoid, and even more paranoid around U-turns and other sensitive areas. Determining that reckless truck drivers or unaware scooter riders should not be on the road won't help much when you're dead or in a wheelchair, they are anyway.

Fair or not big bike riders do have to be responsible and careful on others' behalf.

Edited by Calach

5 hours ago, joepattaya1961 said:

It's not legal, BUT if everybody sticks to the law in any respect things will look different. 

It will make the country less attractive, much more expensive and apart from the high temperatures it will look like any other 'Western' country. 

Laws and regulations are ignored big time by Thai as well as foreigners; that's one thing what this country makes to what it is. 

Please understand me correctly: I do not go along with this complete ignorance, but it is what it is. 

Something along the lines of your first line came up during coffee with another ferlung an hour ago.  Was it around 1970 that the must use a crash helmet law came in in the UK ?  Since the first Honda appeared on the roads over here just after WW2 there has been little or no idea about enforcing a crash helmet law . Only a week or two ago helmets were being handed out by the BiB  to riders without one. What about fining them instead 'till the rider buys one.  Cars have seat belts even on the oldest ones , I would think 2 out of 3 drivers don't bother with them.

6 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Something along the lines of your first line came up during coffee with another ferlung an hour ago.  Was it around 1970 that the must use a crash helmet law came in in the UK ?  Since the first Honda appeared on the roads over here just after WW2 there has been little or no idea about enforcing a crash helmet law . Only a week or two ago helmets were being handed out by the BiB  to riders without one. What about fining them instead 'till the rider buys one.  Cars have seat belts even on the oldest ones , I would think 2 out of 3 drivers don't bother with them.

Yeah 1973 for helmets, unless you are Sikh!!  10 years later for seatbelts. Both have reduced fatalities enormously.

20 hours ago, teatree said:

Would you carry your one year old child on a motorbike?

I would rather walk, take a songtaew or hitch a lift than risk the life of my child.

I would and I did with both my children at the time.

20 hours ago, bheard said:

Shot's proposition doesn't stand up to examination. There are options for poor people to get around.
But if they must drive motorcycles, then unfortunately ignorance is the major problem, meaning poor driving skills, no safety equipment, overloading etc.
It may be that the cop was at fault, but I'd bet that the motorcycle with 3 people on it was the major reason for the carnage.

It was not, it was the big biker traveling at high speed and overtaking on the wrong side.