Leo beer now tastes bad

singburisam

16 hours ago, Allstars said:

Red horse is the cheapest beer available on the Thai market isn't it?

No doubt it will be much better than all the premium beers, but I guess high alcohol content is the main factor for your taste buds.

Redhorse is a Filipino beer; one of the cheapest there, but it is high in alcohol content, some 7-9%. I usually see it at Tesco in Hatyai.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, smotherb said:

Redhorse is a Filipino beer; one of the cheapest there, but it is high in alcohol content, some 7-9%. I usually see it at Tesco in Hatyai.

And that was exactly my point, some people on this forum associate high alcohol content with good taste, something that is not related at all but is more a sign of something else.

If you don't believe me, try rubbing alcohol and  report back.

3 minutes ago, Allstars said:

And that was exactly my point, some people on this forum associate high alcohol content with good taste, something that is not related at all but is more a sign of something else.

Yes, many of the Chang drinkers here did so, I believe, because of the alcohol content. When Change went from the brown to the green bottle, they apparently also changed the formula and the alcohol content. I spent an entire day hitting all the local stores in my area to buy up all the brown bottles remaining for a friend who was spending a few days and just had to have brown bottle Chang.

Quite frankly, I like an ice cold beer on a hot day, but after a few, I am ready to drink something that gets to the point quicker and tastes less like horse urine. I prefer Jack.

On 1/5/2017 at 8:16 AM, daveAustin said:

It's gone from an okayish (because-everything-else-is-shit) lager, to cack. Cans have also been sneakily reduced to 320ml. Any price change? Yeah, right!

Next they will raise the price, then the government will raise the tax, then they will make it smaller again, then repeat. We should just brew our own but I'm sure that would be a jailable offense.

3 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Next they will raise the price, then the government will raise the tax, then they will make it smaller again, then repeat. We should just brew our own but I'm sure that would be a jailable offense.

Not jailable, 200baht fine.

On 5/1/2560 at 7:20 AM, Cockwomble said:

There are no good Thai beers. 

Somchai don't brew.

I tend to differ.

Tiger Beer is pretty good and you don't get all bloated up, like you do with others here.

I have had beers all over the world and Tiger is "Okay!". It is about a 7. The only beer I had which was a 9.7 was in Germany. 

23 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

I tend to differ.

Tiger Beer is pretty good and you don't get all bloated up, like you do with others here.

I have had beers all over the world and Tiger is "Okay!". It is about a 7. The only beer I had which was a 9.7 was in Germany. 

The last time I looked, Tiger was  a Singaporean beer, though it is brewed under licence here in Thailand.

The Thai version is vastly inferior to the version that is brewed in Singapore. 

As I said, Somchai don't brew. 

24 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

I tend to differ.

Tiger beer is not 7.0. It used to be. Also in Australia many botique type beers are between 7.0 and 15.0. When out I generally drink Tiger light which is 3.5 and tastes just fine. Remember to stop them jamming a piece of lemon in the mouth of the bottle. This is only customary with San Miquel light.

Try to get Leo that is less than a month old then there's more chance of a good taste ,the fill date is printed on the label.
More than 2 months and the taste can be quite nasty with higher chance of headache after drinking it.

1 hour ago, Allstars said:

Have you tried Red Horse? Perhaps you should give it a taste test before you make assumptions.

I happily drank it in the Philippines and occasionally here. It's not as good as it's more famous cousin, San Miguel, but it is easily above Singha and Chang.

19 hours ago, vsigrist said:

I hope you indeed mean Beerlao, which is a laotian beer, and has nothing to do with Leo. It's my house beer and I like everything except that I have only found 33 cl bottles so far. You can buy them at Makro as lager or dark beer. 

BeerLao_Lager.jpg

I have seen them in cans in Chiang Mai

33 minutes ago, Cockwomble said:

The last time I looked, Tiger was  a Singaporean beer, though it is brewed under licence here in Thailand.

The Thai version is vastly inferior to the version that is brewed in Singapore. 

As I said, Somchai don't brew. 

Tiger Beer is brewed in Thailand and under license. Which means they have to do it a certain way and the way they tell them.

Are you going to say the "Levis Jeans" are all crap here because they are not made in the USA? Or Sony and their TV's because they are not made in Japan and only under license? Or all the cars made here like Ford, Nissan, and who knows what else? 

All I know is that you can buy Tiger Beer here, which is pretty good. You can't buy Labatt's Blue Beer here, and many others. My suggestion was to try a different beer here which I think is okay. But not one that wins the Blue Ribbon,, which you can't buy here. 

51 minutes ago, tigermoth said:

Tiger beer is not 7.0. It used to be. Also in Australia many botique type beers are between 7.0 and 15.0. When out I generally drink Tiger light which is 3.5 and tastes just fine. Remember to stop them jamming a piece of lemon in the mouth of the bottle. This is only customary with San Miquel light.

Yeah! San Miquel was an okay beer to. 

1 hour ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Tiger Beer is brewed in Thailand and under license. Which means they have to do it a certain way and the way they tell them.

Are you going to say the "Levis Jeans" are all crap here because they are not made in the USA? Or Sony and their TV's because they are not made in Japan and only under license? Or all the cars made here like Ford, Nissan, and who knows what else? 

All I know is that you can buy Tiger Beer here, which is pretty good. You can't buy Labatt's Blue Beer here, and many others. My suggestion was to try a different beer here which I think is okay. But not one that wins the Blue Ribbon,, which you can't buy here. 

Are you not able to comprehend what was written?

I am fully aware that it is brewed under licence, and also as stated the quality of beer is not of the same standard as it is in Singapore. 

Really not interested in the rest of crap that you have written about Levis etc, as it's not relevant

1 hour ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

In short yes, they are still different. Heineken in Thailand is different to in the West. San miguel too. Even guiness brewed in England and Ireland is different. 

22 hours ago, alien365 said:

I'm not impressed by the change either, they've just filled it with more gas and less taste. I guess I'll be drinking more archa but it's difficult to find when eating out and it's by no means great either.

Regarding beer Lao, Ive tried it a few times and found it to be overrated but I guess that's just personal taste. Personally I'm missing my Stella, Kronenburg, Erdinger and Estrella beer, what I would consider a tasty tipple.

Stella is available in Thailand!!! Why aren't you drinking it? :saai:

19 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Stella is available in Thailand!!! Why aren't you drinking it? :saai:

I do but it's too expensive to drink all the time and they don't have it in my local makro. I always enjoy a Stella when I go to Bangkok though. The Amari next to Central World sells 2for1 (on all drinks) between 6-8pm which makes it 150b a pint. Depending on the pipes it can be delicious or so-so.

Back in NZ (And other places) Stella was know 'Wife beater'. Can't say I liked the stuff and certainly wasn't up with all the trendy types that insisted on the wedge of lemon/lime shoved down its throat.

I've drunk the Fils Red Horse here a bit. It's not bad. But as has been mentioned San Miguel does taste better in the Fils. 

Another cheaper beer here that I don't mind is Cheers Xtra.  It's in the red can and 6 percent alcohol.  The did put out some in large bottles about a month ago but seem to have stopped.  Don't like the Cheers in the blue can and the Rice berry in the black can is ok too.

The Riceberry doesn't seem as gassy and has a darker colour.

Archa is probably the cheapest and as for Chang.... when they were making the draught version it was good boardering on very good. Their export as ok too.  But the current stuff in the green bottle you can keep. There is probably a reason why people get 'chang-overs'

Beerlao would have to be the cream of the current crop.... but I prefer the dark over their lager.

22 hours ago, Allstars said:

Red horse is the cheapest beer available on the Thai market isn't it?

No doubt it will be much better than all the premium beers, but I guess high alcohol content is the main factor for your taste buds.

Archa & Cheers (and a few others) are even cheaper.  I like it as it has a bit more "taste" (as well as a bit more alcohol) which helps as I'm a slow drinker and use ice to keep it cool. 

Brewed by San Migel breweries.

On 07/01/2017 at 4:32 PM, alien365 said:

I agree with what you say, but I thought lager was a type of beer so in essence is still beer.

Was under the impression that the word comes from the German for store. So a lager beer is beer stored for a while to assist clearing of the beer and all the sugar turned to alcohol making it a bit stronger.

Hence the full name 'Lager Beer'.

Edited by overherebc

I don't mind Leo and between me and the missus we get through quite a bit always have it with ice as can't stand warm beer. I hadn't noticed the change in taste in the old and new bottles maybe chilli has killed my taste buds.

Yes I noticed that of late and changed to San Miquel Light (zero carbs) and I only like it from the 330ml small bottles with some lime cut and put in, couldn't help noticing that I ran out today, had a spare big bottle of Leo in the fridge, drank that with the Mrs tonight, didn't enjoy it as much as the San Miquel Light which I am going to stock up on if I can find it and remember the times they sell it, between 11-2 and 5-11 me thinks ?

4 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

Back in NZ (And other places) Stella was know 'Wife beater'. Can't say I liked the stuff and certainly wasn't up with all the trendy types that insisted on the wedge of lemon/lime shoved down its throat

I know it as wife beater too as it can make people more aggressive, but beer doesnt have that effect on me.

I'd say the best way to choose your next beer is to buy one of everything in 7/11, and blind taste them. That way it's name or reputation has no bearing on your judgement.  

I'm also interested what others here think of Kaiserdom. I've had it a few times and I like it but I feel 'full' after the second can. I notice they've started to sell it in 7/11 too.

Yes the Kaiserdom isn't bad and they have 3 or 4 varieties. Rimping were the 1st to sell it but now other outlets have picked it up.

Even Makro has it in stock. I like the unfiltered and the dark ones best. Damn big cans those... 1 litre I think.