Turbulent sea still disrupted free ferry service from Pattaya to Hua Hin

webfact

Turbulent sea still disrupted free ferry service from Pattaya to Hua Hin

723_Ferry.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Although the ferry service from Pattaya to Hua Hin had commenced first service on January 1, but until today the actual service still could not be launched due to the turbulent sea.

Five days after the company, Royal Passenger Line, scheduled the maiden 113-kilometre voyage from Pattaya to Hua Hin on January 1,  Royal One ship still could not set sail as strong winds and high waves in the Gulf of Thailand remaining the problem.

The company could only allow its ferry to just cruise around Koh Larn island with passengers in board free of charge.

It earlier set January 1-15 as the dates for free rides on its test sail from Pattaya to Hua Hin and will start collecting fares after finishing the 15-day free service.

It will begin charging 1,250 baht single trip for normal class from January 16.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/turbulent-sea-still-disruptd-free-ferry-service-pattaya-hua-hin/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-01-05

Somebody is making money out of this. I don't know who or how but this type of irrational business plan is rarely down to stupidity but far more likely linked to corruption.

I notice Royal Passenger Line does not operate any other routes and is therefore a company created for this venture. Where did the financing come from? Investors, shareholders, banks or even taxpayers? If it folds, who loses? Where would the assets go?

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

It's a river boat.

The Gulf of Thailand is not a river, not even the narrow north end.

I hope the Pattaya 'harbour master' has cashed out already.

It looks similar in size to the Auto Batam ferries that operate out of the World Trade Center in Singapore, they run regular services to Batam and the Northern Riau Islands, I have taken them dozens of times in all kinds of weather and heavy seas across to Pulau Kundur and Karimun, with no mishaps, maybe they are just being careful with their new boat.   

50 minutes ago, David R Small said:

Why is everybody a Cynic on TV!, 6 Months it will last! I will take bets.

It has to start first. 5 days, 5 failures to operate. So far 100% unsuccessful.

I was thinking the end of the week to be sunk, dead and burried

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

It's a river boat.

The Gulf of Thailand is not a river, not even the narrow north end.

I hope the Pattaya 'harbour master' has cashed out already.

Is it really ?  I always suspected this, but where did you find this information?

This would be like the very dangerous ride along the Cambodian coast years ago, where a vessel built for calm rivers was used to carry lost souls in the open seas

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Somebody is making money out of this. I don't know who or how but this type of irrational business plan is rarely down to stupidity but far more likely linked to corruption.

I notice Royal Passenger Line does not operate any other routes and is therefore a company created for this venture. Where did the financing come from? Investors, shareholders, banks or even taxpayers? If it folds, who loses? Where would the assets go?

Yes where would the assets go?? 

10 minutes ago, tompelli said:

New owner, boat built in 1991 oldest one of ferry company CKS pearl river delta/HK/Macao routes. 

And probably a very good reason why they stopped using it on these Pearl River delta routes.

Edited by NanLaew

3 hours ago, Briggsy said:

maybe the boats owners at least had the common sense to have negotiated to buy these old vessels " on approval " ( i.e. For examination or trial by a customer without the obligation to buy ):giggle:

The size of a vessel has little to do with how seaworthy it is.  Plenty of 10meter vessels have made serious ocean voyages and come through huge seas.  The condition of the vessel, how well it is handled, its design, its construction  and how well it is loaded are the important factors. 

OKk, read a lot of negative comments from people who seem to know a lot about such ventures and how they are doomed to fail, but want to know this if given choice of this new ferry service or going all way by 'minivan', which do you choose? How would the stats and recorded data show the comparison of accidents and chances serious injury using either transport, please give factual arguments please!

Those catamaran ferries don't like rough seas, the speed will have to be lowered when the wave heights go over app 2 mtrs and they will normally stop the service when over 3 mtrs(depending of the size of the boat/ship).

Just imagine how a speedboat ride going +25 knots fells like when the wave heights is more than 1mtr, very unpleasant, a very bumpy ride and after 10 min of that, you wish you stayed on firm ground but lowering the speed will make it much more pleasant but some will get sea-sick no matter the speed.

I can understand they canceled the trips until better weather arrives.