Are there still serious problems with police in Pai?

JimmyJ

There were police problems in Pai many years ago. That info gets posted on the net and never gets taken down. Too bad really.

Since then the guy that was the loose canon in the articles actually beat his 18 year old preganant wife to death. He has not been seen since. Pai has had several police chiefs since then. I new one of them, liked him very much and was proud to call him a friend. 

I have owned a shophouse in downtown Pai for seven years and know the police there quite well. Even the tourist police are a great bunch of guys. The Chief Inspector at the Pai Police is a very good friend of mine. He is one of the nicest people I know. We go to dinner often and then usually hit the bars. I luncheon sometimes with police and members of the proscuters office. All of them are very nice people and a joy to hang out with, unless you are a drug addict or drug pusher. Then your probably not going to like any of these people.

That area is a transient area for drugs coming into the country from Burma. The Pai police are very good at their jobs.

If your just a tourist, you will have a nice time in Pai. If you need police assistance while there, they will be only too happy to help. 

2 hours ago, Junkyarddog said:

There were police problems in Pai many years ago. That info gets posted on the net and never gets taken down. Too bad really.

Since then the guy that was the loose canon in the articles actually beat his 18 year old preganant wife to death. He has not been seen since. Pai has had several police chiefs since then. I new one of them, liked him very much and was proud to call him a friend. 

I have owned a shophouse in downtown Pai for seven years and know the police there quite well. Even the tourist police are a great bunch of guys. The Chief Inspector at the Pai Police is a very good friend of mine. He is one of the nicest people I know. We go to dinner often and then usually hit the bars. I luncheon sometimes with police and members of the proscuters office. All of them are very nice people and a joy to hang out with, unless you are a drug addict or drug pusher. Then your probably not going to like any of these people.

That area is a transient area for drugs coming into the country from Burma. The Pai police are very good at their jobs.

If your just a tourist, you will have a nice time in Pai. If you need police assistance while there, they will be only too happy to help. 

What is the smoke situation like there? I read one post stating that it's not better than Chang Mai (that was the impression I got from the post).

57 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

What is the smoke situation like there? I read one post stating that it's not better than Chang Mai (that was the impression I got from the post).

It's much worse....Close to neighboring country borders.....The valley draws the smoke.....

You can sit & watch the hillsides burning around you.....

I've seen pictures of cars going down the road - and the road is the only thing not burning.....

3 hours ago, Junkyarddog said:

Well, this is the guy who sounds like he knows what he is talking about... I would guess there is a direct correlation between the number of problems and the number of tourists. And when you consider the number of tourists in Thailand every year, the % of problems is probably quite small, though sometimes unique. But general rule of thumb is if you are not looking for trouble, you won't find any. And if you don't get into trouble back home, you won't here either. 

As to smog. Bad air quality is also a worldwide issue and for me, not overly sensitive to it, there are just a few rare days when it is awful in CM area... at the moment, in Central Thailand - the air is crisp and clean... some high over head clouds, but mostly sunny. Absolutely pleasant.

3 hours ago, Junkyarddog said:

Yes, sure, we an certainly trust you as a business owner...

On 07/01/2017 at 7:07 PM, opalred said:

dont take talcum powder in the backpack

Also dont buy anything at the Lahu waterfall village, the folks there may phone a Pai Police contact and you will be stopped and searched on the road back to Pai and maybe asked to provide a urine sample, which will show positive if you have taken any of a long list of medications..

This will start a process which may result in you being charged then locked up in rehab for 3 months or worse! Possibly they may offer an alternative to resolve the situation ...

On 1/5/2017 at 7:41 AM, JimmyJ said:

If you read the wiki and the newspaper article - No.

This goes beyond the country as a whole - stopping people on the street randomly and illegally demanding urine tests, etc. (I'm quite sure it was 1 of those 2 articles I read this in).

I realixe the cops can be a pain in any country and certainly Thailand - can be annoying, perhaps minor shakedown/bribe attempts in some areas - but read that editorial. Much worse based on the description.

Just the part I quoted sounds forbidding.

urine tests are nothing new and are not limited to Pai. They happen all over Thailand however mostly at bars. I have been at bars in BKK a few times when the police come in, lights go on, music off and everyone is drug tested and checked for underage.  There were some posts about police around Soi On Nut stopping people for urine tests and I believe near Pratunam area too. 

If you are not a druggy/doper, and only drink casually and don't get stinking drunk.. and your friendly and law-abiding... .it's a great place to go and relax and spend some time there.  A couple of nice Theravada temples also to spend time at.

There is a reason for calling marijuana and drugs..."Dope".  

Edited by Catoni
Deleted some things.

"How a $2 Roadside Drug Test Sends Innocent People to Jail

Widespread evidence shows that these tests routinely produce false positives. Why are police departments and prosecutors across the country still using them?"

By RYAN GABRIELSON and TOPHER SANDERSJULY 7, 2016

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/10/magazine/how-a-2-roadside-drug-test-sends-innocent-people-to-jail.html?_r=0

Edited by JimmyJ

when the farang has dreadlocks or simply looks like a hippie, we all know he/she isn't working and likely looking for some smoke.  i wish they had a fake woodstock festival and then they all got arrested.  then they can call mommy and say, 'but our high-school principal said it was OK"  "billie, you are now 33!!"  

great news....weed legal in Pai for the next 100-days.....go up there now and smoke away!! 

On 8 January 2017 at 5:31 PM, BsBs said:

Yes, sure, we an certainly trust you as a business owner...

Be up there yet again in two weeks.

Looking forward to another incredibly relaxing few days in one of our favorite places. 

1 hour ago, puukao said:

when the farang has dreadlocks or simply looks like a hippie, we all know he/she isn't working and likely looking for some smoke.  i wish they had a fake woodstock festival and then they all got arrested.  then they can call mommy and say, 'but our high-school principal said it was OK"  "billie, you are now 33!!"  

great news....weed legal in Pai for the next 100-days.....go up there now and smoke away!! 

Judging people by appearances are we ? I guess the same can be done by judging people by the posts they make on internet forums. In which case ...