Life for an iPhone: Man stabbed to death in Lat Phrao robbery

snoop1130

4 hours ago, williet98248 said:

In the US you can get killed for your sneakers.

indeed, i posted that too (didn't read your post, sorry). people get killed for all kinds of reasons (or no reason whatsoever) and this guy was a diehard criminal not your EVERAGE thai!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, thhMan said:

I could never just hand my phone over to some scumbag, just because he wants it...

Whatever happens .. happens... at least I wont live my life as a spineless coward... now that is a sad way to die!

Kudos to the kid who stood up for himself... and... RIP

Been ages since I have heard such a manly, macho, heroic bunk of view. Seems the last time....oh yaa...I was playing in my sandbox...

Also learned later from my military experience that such boastarrhea comes with people who are the very first to take to their heels at the first sign of any risk.

--a spineless (but living) coward

6 hours ago, thhMan said:

I could never just hand my phone over to some scumbag, just because he wants it...

Whatever happens .. happens... at least I wont live my life as a spineless coward... now that is a sad way to die!

Your last line says it all.  

I am having trouble just getting my head around this post.   Surely it is just hubris.   How could any thinking person be willing to trade his life for a phone.   And even worse to suggest that such a trade would make one a spineless coward.  

It would seem there are still some Neanderthals left in the world.

50 minutes ago, GaryAdriaenssens said:

He won't be the last, dear friends. Maybe it's me but it seems so many Thais are just addicted to their iPhones, it's unbelievable. They can't even put their eyes off that screen while eating in a restaurant. I can always predict what they're going to do while entering a bus, eatery or any other place. What a world!!

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, really! Sure hope this doesn;t spread outside Thailand!! 

6 hours ago, arrowsdawdle said:

They are just following the cultural example set by the little general...you want something, take it; government or an iPhone, same-same.

BS, blaming the political situation for this. These kids are low lives, full with yaba. No education and parenting. 

Thailand needs to learn from its neighbor countries and start executing these sociopaths to get this situation back in control.

Oh yea, the neighboring countries are farangs, they do not know Thainess......

1 hour ago, GaryAdriaenssens said:

He won't be the last, dear friends. Maybe it's me but it seems so many Thais are just addicted to their iPhones, it's unbelievable. They can't even put their eyes off that screen while eating in a restaurant. I can always predict what they're going to do while entering a bus, eatery or any other place. What a world!!

Yup , Mum Dad and daughter turned up her today at 1 pm , not seen them for 2 years . Dad was outside with me having a chat and a drink , my wife was getting some snacks , mum and daughter were on their iphones in complete silence . No time for " How is life in this neck of the woods , been anywhere nice lately , how yer'll  keeping ? "

7 hours ago, thhMan said:

stab them first ....

2 hours ago, seancbk said:

The young guy that was killed tried not to let a deadbeat $#@hole walk all over him.   He still ended up dead.

I'd rather hand over my phone and walk away.  

What makes you think the perp will let you walk? There are no Guarantees in life, I rather take my chances and fight for my property instead of sending a message that I am an "easy" target. At the very least a perp "may" think twice about mugging someone given the likelihood that the target will likely fight back. 

2 hours ago, adwbkk said:

Your last line says it all.  

I am having trouble just getting my head around this post.   Surely it is just hubris.   How could any thinking person be willing to trade his life for a phone.   And even worse to suggest that such a trade would make one a spineless coward.  

It would seem there are still some Neanderthals left in the world.

Because that's the message you are sending out to a perp. that you are an easy target. in defending yourself against a mugging, you will give pause to other offenders that the next target may not be so easy and will defend themselves. There is nothing that says that the offender will (not) stab and kill a target even if the target cooperates (i.e. no eyewitness(s)). By "meekly" complying, you are enabling an offender to continue attacking a victim because they will not defend themselves. You may not succeed, but you will put a thought in a perp head about future attacks. 

its apples fault.   In a way it is...   tattoos of certain types can mean things?  kid was desperate enough to steal an Iphone but has started a 200,000 baht  tat design??  

RIP...  so sad and I not know the solution.. But in the past I have always thought in clear cut cases, like this one seems to be with CCTV and I imagine DNA, I feel justice should be swift in under 6 months...  And I think the guillotine should be the method at a break in a major sporting event is where it should be done...  Head rolling down a long white cloth covered ramp to a waiting basket... then just tossed like a pile of trash.

To me what is bad, the 26 yr old Wasin, did not understand that life is more precious than his stupid I- phone. If he just gave them the phone, he would be alive and could help finding the attackers.  That's what is sad, that people put more value on things than life.

my condolences to his family and friends. 

21 hours ago, thhMan said:

I have been in a few unfortunate incidents over the past 20+ years in Pattaya, Bangkok, Phuket and Aranyapretet and every incident warranted a different reaction because the reaction time of the brain is, generally, not fast enough to achieve a winning result. When these incidents happen you don't have time and it's only after the incident that the big word IF is brought into the equations. Just asking but have you ever been in a situation where scumbags have attacked and/or tried to steal from you. Please let us all know of your experiences and I will tell you all of mine. Too many to write about here. 

On January 7, 2017 at 6:35 AM, Geoff Snell said:

I have been in a few unfortunate incidents over the past 20+ years in Pattaya, Bangkok, Phuket and Aranyapretet and every incident warranted a different reaction because the reaction time of the brain is, generally, not fast enough to achieve a winning result. When these incidents happen you don't have time and it's only after the incident that the big word IF is brought into the equations. Just asking but have you ever been in a situation where scumbags have attacked and/or tried to steal from you. Please let us all know of your experiences and I will tell you all of mine. Too many to write about here. 

I've been in Bangkok for 14 years, having visited Pattaya many times. I've never once been attacked. Almost every situation can be avoided or defused. Having so many assault experiences where it's "too many to write about here" makes me wonder about you.

1 hour ago, Skytrain2hell said:

I've been in Bangkok for 14 years, having visited Pattaya many times. I've never once been attacked. Almost every situation can be avoided or defused. Having so many assault experiences where it's "too many to write about here" makes me wonder about you.

Yes well I can imagine how interesting it would sitting around a table listening to your life experiences Mr Squeaky Clean. Did your Mum iron or press your pj's. Nothing untoward here. Just asking

On 1/7/2017 at 6:35 AM, Geoff Snell said:

I've lived in Bangkok for 8 years and been visiting Thailand (with my family) since I was about 12 years old (so around 35 years).

I've seen some idiot tourists getting bashed for not paying bills but have never ever had any issues myself with Thais.   I have had a few issues with tourists from the UK who seem to think fighting is a viable option but they were drunk and very easy to avoid once they started acting like <deleted>. 

No Thai has every tried to attack me or steal from me.   

Getting assaulted multiple times is not a common thing among non-idiots. You can still have a fun and amazing life while avoiding earth's scum.

I agree with Sean that the only violence I've witnessed has been from non-Thais acting the fool. If Geoff has been involved in so many assaults that he can't even begin to write about them, he might want to look in the mirror rather than pointing fingers.