Democrats Cast Doubts On Extension For Foreign Labourers

Jai Dee

Democrat party labour group casts doubts on extension for foreign labourers

Democrat Party Labour Group indicated that the foreign labour extension of one more year will have a negative effect on the Thai economy and cases of graft.

Democrat Party Labour Group committee Pongsak Plengsaeng (พงศักดิ์ เปล่งแสง) expressed disagreement concerning the one year extension for alien workers in Thailand.

He said Thai employees prefer employing cheap labourers, leading to unemployment amongst Thais.

Mr Pongsak further added alien workers in Thailand have a higher tendency to commit crimes.

Mr Pongsak suggested that the government should implement measures in controlling security and the number of illegal immigrant workers in Thailand.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 09 December 2006

The words "TOTAL RUBBISH" come to mind. To better explain my point of view, try to find a Thai that wishes to work as a Nanny, at a local car wash or even as a laborer in a farm where oranges or other fruit are grown. I found that many Thais would rather stay home and do nothing rather than work as a Nanny even after having been offered up to 5,000 Baht plus meals, medical care and a private room. And that is up country where a starting teacher only gets 4,000 Baht a month.

I thought that Thailand had the lowest unemployment rate in the world!!! There's another topic here that claims this!!! If this is correct then it doesn't seem like the foreign laborers are causeing an unemployment problem in Thailand....there seems to be a disconnect somewhere....

Chownah

Edited by chownah

I thought that Thailand had the lowest unemployment rate in the world!!! There's another topic here that claims this!!! If this is correct then it doesn't seem like the foreign laborers are causeing an unemployment problem in Thailand....there seems to be a disconnect somewhere....

Chownah

You beat me to it!

Chownah

Like what mouse said, I agreed that most of them are sitting at home doing nothing. I don't think the national survey for employment is correct.

It's a joke to claimed that Thailand has the lowest unemployment rate!

ps

Maybe they count working just few minutes a day or few days a year havesting is considered being employed?

The Democrats, show their real face. Their powerbasis is in the South. Although they love to be politically correct, it are not the hard working Burmese and cambodians blowing up people but the always friendly Muslim population. The demcocrats are taken too much on face value. Mister Chuan might have been a great promotion for the party, most people in tha party all full of crooks themselves. Before making comments about foreigners they should purge criminals like Suthep first. Ohh sorry he is from that other mobile phone company sold to the Norwegians...

I think some of you are missing the main points here and being cynical for cynicism's sake

Democrat party labour group casts doubts on extension for foreign labourers

Democrat Party Labour Group indicated that the foreign labour extension of one more year will have a negative effect on the Thai economy and cases of graft.

Democrat Party Labour Group committee Pongsak Plengsaeng (พงศักดิ์ เปล่งแสง) expressed disagreement concerning the one year extension for alien workers in Thailand.

He said Thai employees prefer employing cheap labourers, leading to unemployment amongst Thais.

(Ignoring the typo) - a real concern here from many angles is that Thai employers know they can hire say Burmese workers, pay them B2000 a month, provide a room and meals and deduct B1500 a month from salaries and get away with it, because part of the money they save is passed to local officials for turning a blind eye. - In this scenario are human rights, slavery, corruption, and employment redirection issues.

Mr Pongsak further added alien workers in Thailand have a higher tendency to commit crimes.

Maybe in some areas out of neccesity, but then it should be remembered that the government endorses dual pricing, neo-apartheid, extrajudicial execution and other factors that are not crimes here but are in other countries. And crimes here are not crimes in other countries - touching someone's head, expressing displeasure with the monarch, insulting a cop etc. Makes me wonder if the crimes he refers to are such as - Laotian migrant worker having joint before bed, Brit criticising royalty, German praising federalism, Scot or Jew arguing over the price of a bribe (;-)) ?

Mr Pongsak suggested that the government should implement measures in controlling security and the number of illegal immigrant workers in Thailand.

From many recent headlines, they already are, but are focussing on the illegal workers who are a genuine threat to the elite - the workers who can teach the serfs to think - i.e. the farangs.

They don't really give a stuff about illegal workers from neighbouring countries - they're no threat to the status quo, and are easy to deport, it's the educated farang masses that are the real threat to them, which is why the crackdowns began with the white masses.

Edited by Gaz Chiangmai

This is pretty interesting topic. Honestly I have seen this type of runt over past 5 years of banning or getting rid of foreign labor etc and every time when I sought some explanation, no one, trust me no one offered any clarity.

It seems at times the official statement issued by government or ministers, especially in regards to non Thai people working in this country, is generally (without proper thinking) termed as foreign labor. It includes farangs who are working in white color jobs too.

This would probably explain the tall proud claim of lowest unemployment rate in this country in context to the current article on the statement made by the minister. It's likely that minister would be referring to reducing number farangs in white color jobs which affects many upper middle class educated Thai people. Poor them they don't get paid as much as the farang does and usually end up working more.

Well thats my guess. I could be totally wrong.