Widespread cheating in Thai police exams prompts calls for all results to be declared void

snoop1130

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"The committee split the group of individuals who took and set the exams into three groups - those who cheated completely, those who cheated a little and those who answered honestly."

How did they find out? Oh, I see :smile:

1- those who answered most questions

2-those who barely passed

3-those who failed

8 hours ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

That and the belief in karma - you reap in this life what you have sown in past lives. That's why the peasants cannot be entrusted with voting because they're peasants, therefore they must not have been sufficiently virtuous in their past lives. That's the concept that lies behind the Yellow Shirt/junta narrative of leaving government to "virtuous" people.

That is NOT how karma works in real Buddhism. Off course those yellow shirt hi-so's don't know sh#t about that. They think they are entitled to exploiting the poor; and donating money and burning candles in the wat (tham boon) will get them an even better next life. Talk about ignorance ....

Just now, Uncle Bob said:

That is NOT how karma works in real Buddhism. Off course those yellow shirt hi-so's don't know sh#t about that. They think they are entitled to exploiting the poor; and donating money and burning candles in the wat (tham boon) will get them an even better next life. Talk about ignorance ....

Ah, "real" Buddhism. Is this akin to the demarcation disputes between various christian sects, each claiming to have the purest expression of the faith, or the Shitites* and the Sunnis in Islam who blow each other up so certain are they of the impurity of the other's faith?

* yes, I do know

2 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Ah, "real" Buddhism. Is this akin to the demarcation disputes between various christian sects, each claiming to have the purest expression of the faith, or the Shitites* and the Sunnis in Islam who blow each other up so certain are they of the impurity of the other's faith?

* yes, I do know

You are right, it sounds like that.
What I meant to say is that in Thailand, and in most other countries where it is practiced, Buddhism is mixed with Hinduism, animism and even politics, the outcome being something completely non-buddhist. For instance, in Buddhism there is no soul traveling from the dead body to another body after death (reincarnation), that is a Hindu concept. Buddhism says everything is dukkha, anicca, anatta: suffering, impermanence, non-self. Way off-topic, I know, I just take an interest in this stuff...

6 hours ago, lvr181 said:

They are not worthy of being named the Royal Thai Police! The inclusion of the word Royal is an insult to the monarchy!

Mwaah, I don't share your enthusiasm of the latter institution. It has never helped Thailand develop democratically, always approving the various military coups.

Just now, Uncle Bob said:

What I meant to say is that in Thailand, and in most other countries where it is practiced, Buddhism is mixed with Hinduism, animism and even politics, the outcome being something completely non-buddhist. For instance, in Buddhism there is no soul traveling from the dead body to another body after death (reincarnation), that is a Hindu concept. Buddhism says everything is dukkha, anicca, anatta: suffering, impermanence, non-self. Way off-topic, I know, I just take an interest in this stuff...

Or, more generally, all religions borrow from one another. Monotheism is a Jewish heresy of polytheism, Christianity is a heresy of Judaism, Islam is a heresy of Christianity (Arianism, to be specific) and so on. Then, when they co-mingle, they borrow. And since we're now coming to understand the chemical reactions in the brain that lead to religious experiences, the similarities between religions that appear never to have had much contact and therefore cross-fertilization are more understandable

9 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Or, more generally, all religions borrow from one another. Monotheism is a Jewish heresy of polytheism, Christianity is a heresy of Judaism, Islam is a heresy of Christianity (Arianism, to be specific) and so on. Then, when they co-mingle, they borrow. And since we're now coming to understand the chemical reactions in the brain that lead to religious experiences, the similarities between religions that appear never to have had much contact and therefore cross-fertilization are more understandable

In all those religions you name there is the central belief in a God or Gods. Buddhism doesn't have that. So it does not really fit in with most religions.

3 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

In all those religions you name there is the central belief in a God or Gods. Buddhism doesn't have that. So it does not really fit in with most religions.

Only if you believe that belief in a god or gods is an essential characteristic of a religion. I don't. It's evident that many State-sponsored ideologies have many of the hallmarks of what we usually call "religion". I happen to think Buddhism is a Hindu heresy

Edited by SaintLouisBlues

Just now, SaintLouisBlues said:

Only if you believe that belief in a god or gods is an essential characteristic of a religion. I don't. It's evident that many State-sponsored ideologies have many of the hallmarks of what we usually call "religion"

I totally agree on that one!

From the Kalama Sutta, the Buddha is said to have said:

"So, as I said, Kalamas: 'Don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, "This contemplative is our teacher." When you know for yourselves that, "These qualities are unskillful; these qualities are blameworthy; these qualities are criticized by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to harm & to suffering" — then you should abandon them.' Thus was it said. And in reference to this was it said.

"Now, Kalamas, don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, 'This contemplative is our teacher.' When you know for yourselves that, 'These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to welfare & to happiness' — then you should enter & remain in them.

In other words: find out for yourselves what is good, healthy and leading to happiness!

1 hour ago, Uncle Bob said:

Mwaah, I don't share your enthusiasm of the latter institution. It has never helped Thailand develop democratically, always approving the various military coups.

It is not my enthusiasm of the monarchy but how the Government deals with those who are disrespectful to the monarchy - les majeste!  Cheating cops are disrespectful! Let them feel the full force of les majeste!

So you can cut out the "mwaah". :smile:

What a bleeding joke, most of the ones now making this decision also went through the same process of paying for their positions in the first place.  Why won't they show the figures?  But at least it is now being addressed, but is this just more lip service , like the transport minister is spouting in cutting road deaths by introducing more checks on minivan drivers and checking a newly introduced tachograph type of system or removing multitudes of vans off the roads??

7 hours ago, hobz said:

Its not fair to punish these cops because everyone always did like this. Its tradition. 

Are you preparing yourself to become a future leader of Thailand? :whistling:

The cessation/minimization of corruption has to start somewhere. Therefore, punish those cops!

Corruption may be a "tradition" but always at a cost to society and particularly to the ordinary Thai citizen.

The third group who exhibited no evidence of cheating, all fail as despite the fact they cheated with utmost expertise and were never caught, the fact they did not share the answers with their fellow piglets highlights

their inability to function as part of the team. Hopefully next time they will learn from this experience and share their answers like a good team player should!

4 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Are you preparing yourself to become a future leader of Thailand? :whistling:

The cessation/minimization of corruption has to start somewhere. Therefore, punish those cops!

Corruption may be a "tradition" but always at a cost to society and particularly to the ordinary Thai citizen.

My dream is to become head of traffic police. I would be the richest man alive within months. Also i would get awards and medals for saving so many lives. Great times ahead.