Japan recalls South Korean ambassador over 'comfort women' statue

rooster59

Japan recalls South Korean ambassador over 'comfort women' statue

606x341_354196.jpg

Japan has temporarily recalled its ambassador to South Korea over this statue commemorating Korean women forced to work as sex slaves for the Japanese in World War II.

Tokyo is also suspending economic dialogue with Seoul over the issue.

The statue was put up outside the Japanese consulate in Busan in December, in protest at an agreement struck a year ago between the two countries which was aimed at settling the long-running controversy.

It is one of many such monuments but Tokyo claims the new one violates the accord, under which Japan apologised and promised to pay eight million euros to a fund for Korean women.

“The installation of the statute near the Japanese consulate in Busan will not have a positive impact on Japan-South Korea relations, and it is strongly regrettable as we believe it is a violation of the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations,” said Japan’s Chief Cabinet Secretary, Yoshihide Suga.

The issue of the so-called “comfort women” has long damaged ties between the two countries.

An estimated 200,000 women, many from Korea, were forced to work in Japanese military brothels during the war.

Others came from elsewhere in Asia, including China and the Philippines.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2017-01-07

So what are you saying, Japan?  This "embarrasses" you?  This stains your national honor?  S. Korea has no right to this expression of national sentiment on its own soil?  Meanwhile, you venerate your war monsters at Yasakuni? 

Why can YOU make remembrance, but nobody else is allowed to?

.'One reason China gets away with its aggressions in the region...

Japan were the Wold War 11 invaders and are continuing their efforts in trying to re-write history; particularly in relation to their atrocities committed against other neighbouring countries like Korea, China, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines to name just a few.

Next they will be telling everyone these murderous incursions were just goodwill visits.

When i questioned my M6 students bout their knowledge of WW11,a particularly intelligent student (swedish thai) said he had read about it and the Japanese invasions and their mistreatment of prisoners and citizens.He also said thaf the Japanese were trying to make it appear that they were only trying to protect Asia, and that the allies lied about most of their findings on the treatment of the other countries.

From what I have read there are about 40 South Korean women left who claim to have been comfort women. The argument is over the fact that  Japan has agreed to compensate as a consolatory payment rather than compensatory (Japan accepting legal responsibility).  12 women have been at the center of the opposition to the deal made and want a more public apology.  It seems that unfortunately this has as well become a political football in Korea.  Japan has been slow to apologize for many of it's inhuman actions during WWII and its occupation of Korea and Manchuria prior to that. Public apology creates an unpopular narrative which most Japanese politicians would like to forget.  It is unfortunate that MacArthur did not force the government of Japan and the Emperor to apologized back at the end of WWII so everyone could move on.  Further, it seems to me that these things also become politicized by subsequent generations and governments in forcing each other to apologize for things with which they had no responsibility.   As horrible as it was, Japan has offered payments and it is time to move on.  The Japanese PM visited Pearl Harbor recently.  Obviously things like this come a little late and by individuals who had nothing to do with WWII but it is an attempt. Seems a little ineffective for subsequent generations to apologize for deeds of their ancestors. Another five years and there won't be any of the 40 women left and it will still be a political issue, used to keep certain segments of the Korean population riled up over ancient history.  

17 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

So what are you saying, Japan?  This "embarrasses" you?  This stains your national honor?  S. Korea has no right to this expression of national sentiment on its own soil?  Meanwhile, you venerate your war monsters at Yasakuni? 

Why can YOU make remembrance, but nobody else is allowed to?

.'One reason China gets away with its aggressions in the region...

I lived in Japan for a few years and these sentiments came to mind. Japan should be careful going forward they don't even make good walkmans or phones these days. 

13 hours ago, anotheruser said:

I lived in Japan for a few years and these sentiments came to mind. Japan should be careful going forward they don't even make good walkmans or phones these days. 

Japan has never expressed remorse or even admitted its war crimes as Germany did. 

Denial, hiding and misrepresenting the truth. Anything to safe face. Japan was lucky that America wanted them as an ally in stopping the spread of communism and therefore stopped Britain and France taking a much harder line after their surrender.

Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Netherlands, France, and the US all had service personnel treated appallingly by the Japanese - more like concentration camp inmates than POWs. Japan simply ignored all treaties and conventions and has never ever admitted these acts.

No wonder Chinese people get pissed off when they think of Nanking and the Japanese occupation too.

I worked with some former PoW's of the Japanese in my younger days. Those men never ever really recovered or were able to live normal lives. 

Every thing you said Baerboxer. I wish Japan would educate their kids with Japan's true role during WWII. It's unforgivable they keep them in the dark.

How can you stop history repeating when the youngsters don't know their history?