Compact TIG Welding machine recommendations

eyecatcher

I am embarking upon the next step to being diy self sufficient and decided to invest in a compact welder.

Its for general use pretty much like every builder carries with him for sitework, welding steel  up to 3mm 

Not too many manufacturers to choose from but many models with different ranges of amps and voltage settings. Prices, well a quick shifty this morning and they went from 5500bt to 17k baht for what looked like the same thing. you do tend to see people with the garish coloured ones, pinks,purples,reds and rarely the shiny aluminium boxes. I want to aim for a product between the 5500-8000bt; not interested in all singing and dancing.

Anyone have their own particular model they are happy with or regretted not buying a different model. any other advice to be aware of when choosing.

For 5-8k you're not going to get a decent (or any) TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) welder. Do you intend doing stainless or aluminium work (for which you will need TIG)?

Loads of stick (regular arc) welders in that price range, we got a "TUF" 160A inverter for around 5k, works just fine. Light enough to be shoulder carried up the ladder. It's done our chicken palace, various bits of small steelwork without issue (apart from my lack of practice).

To be honest small welders are six or half a dozen, mostly out of China, probably the same guts anyway, if it does what you want and looks reasonably well built go for it.

Do invest in an "automatic" welding helmet, not silly money and the best thing since sliced bread.

Actually its stick welding I want it for, and thats all.

I saw the 160A machines for 5500bt and was wary because i also saw a few at 15/17k.

I did notice the "better" models for 7k had a TIG/mma? switch I assume for dual purpose. the TUF160 doesnt; the 200 does;but maybe not necessary for diy.

The number of a welding machines indicates mostly the maximum Amps. 160 means : maximum 160 Amps capable. It's only a theoretical approach : you should not weld constantly on to the maximum welding range. A 160 model will have a longer liftime if you weld in a range of 1 to 110 Amps maximum. We talk here of stick welding with diam 3,25 mm rods.

A 200 model will be good to weld in a range of 1 to 150 Amps. We talk here of stick welding with diam 4 mm rods.

Not knowing your budget, I would rather go for a '200' model. Whatever welding procedure you want to use.

TIG is more expensive due to use of inert gas, Argon.

My experience : the higher the Amps capacity of your welder, the longer liftime should be.

More expensive models of +10.000 THB are mostly equipped with latest 'inverter' technology. Which gives lower consumption, longer liftime and smoother welding capabilities.

You need AC/DC function if you plan to weld aluminium.

If it's for only steel plate material, maximum 6 mm thickness, occasionally, a 160 would suffice.

If it's for +6 mm steel profiles regularly, a 200 would be advisable.

A +200 model would be advisable for professional use.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

37 minutes ago, Thorgal said:

The number of a welding machines indicates mostly the maximum Amps. 160 means : maximum 160 Amps capable. It's only a theoretical approach : you should not weld constantly on to the maximum welding range. A 160 model will have a longer liftime if you weld in a range of 1 to 110 Amps maximum. We talk here of stick welding with diam 3,25 mm rods.

A 200 model will be good to weld in a range of 1 to 150 Amps. We talk here of stick welding with diam 4 mm rods.

Not knowing your budget, I would rather go for a '200' model. Whatever welding procedure you want to use.

TIG is more expensive due to use of inert gas, Argon.

My experience : the higher the Amps capacity of your welder, the longer liftime should be.

More expensive models of +10.000 THB are mostly equipped with latest 'inverter' technology. Which gives lower consumption, longer liftime and smoother welding capabilities.

You need AC/DC function if you plan to weld aluminium.

If it's for only steel plate material, maximum 6 mm thickness, occasionally, a 160 would suffice.

If it's for +6 mm steel profiles regularly, a 200 would be advisable.

A +200 model would be advisable for professional use.

A very succinct post; thankyou.

This is the brand I have been looking at for some time now, http://www.singsanguan.co.th/th/home/ they have three different brands with the welpro series having a 3 year warranty the best of the brands which I think is very important in a low cost welder. The other important thing to look at is the duty cycle nothing less than 60% is acceptable to me in this class of welder.

A very succinct post; thankyou.

You're welcome.

Rating/sizing of house fuses and cables need to be also considered for safe use with standard non-inverter models.

Inverter welding machine doesn't create normally this problem, and they're compact and lightweight.

Weldpro for instance provides good services after sales and can be used for more intensive use.

I-weld which is from the same brand actually is more suitable for the DIY market.

Also depends if you require a mobile model for site activity or if you plan to use it only in a workshop.

After another half day shopping around and watching a few you tube videos I made a decision to go for the 160A.

As i said its just for slinging around and doing a bit here and there.

In the end I bought the TUF160 inverter, the only bright red machine out there!! It looks like a ferrari but probably has a skoda engine!

This machine was 5500bt  and came with a free pack of 100 electrodes but it wasn't until i got home i realised there was a 500bt discount

The reps at Global were keen to tell me that this model was made in china and not as good as the Lincoln made in Thailand. I had to laugh; I was playing with toys made in china in the 60s, that even then were crap!! but they lasted didnt they.?

I also bought a new steel chopping saw, both the Hitachi at global and the Bosch at home pro were 3950bt  and 2200watts. Free disc with the Hitachi

so a steel fixers pack for under 9000bt. happy with that!

Spent a couple of days welding and really enjoyed it but its going to take a lot longer to get some finess in holding that stick. Plenty of holes in the steel now and you can see that the real skill is in a welders ability to burn together 1.2 gauge sections; but I will master it in a few more hours.

I also bought apparently the best thing since sliced bread; the auto helmet; it was 1600bt and at that price it makes you wonder what they are selling for 69bt!!. but that's great autodimming but a bit cumbersome on your head, especially if you have reading specs on at the same time!

A question: I was playing around testing the amps from 60-100 but my main house fuse is only 50A and I think the socket i used is on a 20A circuit.

why didnt it blow?....shouldn't it have or does the inverter have a big transformer inside.

Just a `word of caution eyecatcher, if you are doing a lot of practice welding, wear a long sleeved shirt, you wouldn't be the first person I have seen in a similar situation burn the crap out of arms due to UV.

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Just a `word of caution eyecatcher, if you are doing a lot of practice welding, wear a long sleeved shirt, you wouldn't be the first person I have seen in a similar situation burn the crap out of arms due to UV.

This t-shirt I have, topless welding = lobster colouring :(

3 hours ago, CGW said:

noted CGW;

I was well covered, two long sleeve shirts buttoned to the neck; jeans and leather gloves and the mask.

if it wasnt for the flip flops I really couldnt have moved about with all that tog on

Thorgal has provided some great information on TIG welding in Thailand.  I have a good friend who bought a made in the USA Lincoln welder from the importer | dealer in Bangkok. I was unaware that Lincoln Electric had any manufacturing in Thailand. HomePro and Global House are fine stores. However they do not offer the lowest prices, ever, on Hitachi power tools in Isaan. Perhaps more than one low overhead, family owned hardware store will offer everyday lower prices on Hitachi or Metabo Power Tools in Buriram, Thailand.    http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/company/Pages/subsidiaries-and-affiliates.aspx

This is the dealer I am aware of for Lincoln Electric welders:  Varakorn Trading Co., Ltd. 
3804 Rama 4 Road, Prakanong, Klongtoey, Bangkok 10110, Thailand 

Hitachi Power Tools in Isaan Buriram.jpg

Edited by David B in Thailand

• 1 month later...
On 1/13/2017 at 8:34 PM, eyecatcher said:

why didnt it blow?....shouldn't it have or does the inverter have a big transformer inside.

Transformers are old school (but still available).  Your unit does as similar thing with transistors, capacitors, inductors and magic.

On the nameplate, it'll probably have a kW rating, like 3-5 kW  for a unit of that size.  Divide those watts (say 5 kW = 5000 watts) by your 220 Volts and you'll get an approximation of the amps on the 220 side of the welder.  If it's 5kW, that's around 23 amps at 220V.

One of the first things I bought when I moved to China 16 years ago was a MMA-TIG-Cut welding machine for around $100-120. That was before the Chinese units inundated the market back in the states, and something similar from the entrenched companies would have been well over $1,000- if you could find one at all.  It did a passable job on all 3 functions and great on stick, but the gas for TIG welding was a nuisance so I used the stick function for 90% of what I did- all small projects around the house and my warehouse.  The Cut (plasma) function was cool, but not so useful, though I'd love to have a CNC plasma cutter if I only had the space here in my 5th floor apartment...

On 07/01/2017 at 6:38 PM, Hereinthailand said:

This is the brand I have been looking at for some time now, http://www.singsanguan.co.th/th/home/ they have three different brands with the welpro series having a 3 year warranty the best of the brands which I think is very important in a low cost welder. The other important thing to look at is the duty cycle nothing less than 60% is acceptable to me in this class of welder.

Thats if they quote a duty cycle , not all do and very important if there is a need for continuous welding . A welding generator with 110 / 240 v outlet is the optimum especially if you have a place with a lot of land  but that's  another story and a lot more money .