Entering Malaysia with Thai registered car

davis79

Last time I went cross the border it was quite painless. All I needed was the blue book to prove ownership and then I had to get a insurance at the duty-free shop to be covered in Malaysia. In the meantime you will need additionally at least a translated/transcribed license plate to stick on. Take care of your window films, if you have some. At least windscreen and front side windows have to be not more than 25% tint, otherwise you will have to remove the film. (That's what I would like to see in Thailand!)

Not sure if you will need a car-pass, best is to ask at the LTO in Phuket.

What you will notice, from the moment you cross the border, the driving style changes dramatically. People stick to the rules, the roads are better, ...

I hope someone can fill in the blanks, have a safe trip!

I don't think there are any blanks .. 

Ahh, ( unless the blue book is different to a bikes green book then ) you should in theory have a translation document from the DLT - 25B takes from 1 hour - 2 days depending on the office.

There are stories in the past of the girl at the insurance desk translating and speaking to the JPJ (Malay DLT) to accept your green book but they have taken to charging an all in price for this - and it's way OTT.

You can get your own license plate made up before if you want to save 10 mins. Any local sticker shop will do it, the letter dimensions are on the JPJ website, if not there are plenty of shops in Hat Yai that can do it.

Which border are you heading through? They tell me Sadao is the only border with a machine for measuring the glass tint. 

I find insurance service at Sadao the fastest, they are open from 7.00 - 8.00 am Thai time.

25 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Ahh, ( unless the blue book is different to a bikes green book then ) you should in theory have a translation document from the DLT - 25B takes from 1 hour - 2 days depending on the office

Blue book -> car, green book -> motorbike :sleep:

6 hours ago, hkt83100 said:

Last time I went cross the border it was quite painless. All I needed was the blue book to prove ownership and then I had to get a insurance at the duty-free shop to be covered in Malaysia. In the meantime you will need additionally at least a translated/transcribed license plate to stick on. Take care of your window films, if you have some. At least windscreen and front side windows have to be not more than 25% tint, otherwise you will have to remove the film. (That's what I would like to see in Thailand!)

Not sure if you will need a car-pass, best is to ask at the LTO in Phuket.

What you will notice, from the moment you cross the border, the driving style changes dramatically. People stick to the rules, the roads are better, ...

I hope someone can fill in the blanks, have a safe trip!

A lot of good info there, interesting...thank you.

Also bring a small amount of ringgits because there are almost no atm's  to be found in Malaysia, only big Banks seem to have them.

Get you TouchAndGo toll card at the border crossing and fill it up immediately. (booth next to the Immigration) you will need it.

Don't forget to pay the road tax and get your road tax disc to stick on the front window.

Enjoy your trip, it is quite nice over there.

16 hours ago, hkt83100 said:

Blue book -> car, green book -> motorbike :sleep:

Read > again > think > post

unless the cars blue book is different from a bikes green book ( which does not contain a translation) and contains a translation then you will need to collect a translation document from the DLT .. Is that cleared for you ? Sorry, you contribution to this thread is .. ..

The translation document is needed by the JPJ to complete you ICP 

Archived