Selling a Thai car when not in Thailand.

macahoom

My friend wants to know if it’s possible to transfer the ownership of a Thai registered car without the owner being in Thailand.

The owner, a British citizen, and the blue book are in the UK; the car is in Thailand. The New Zealand prospective buyer is resident in Thailand.

If it’s possible, what is the procedure?

Thank you in advance.

Depends on the local Land Transport Office.. 

Phuket refused to transfer my mates bike collection, even with all docs, his passport, and him including a full letter authorizing, etc etc.. They demanded a 'current' entry stamp.. 

After months of back and forth he flew here, got a 30 day stamp, and left again.. In that 30 days (they couldnt check he had left) his mate got it done. 

Some LTOs also demand a residence paper from the seller. Chiang Mai did this to me one time. 

5 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Depends on the local Land Transport Office.. 

Phuket refused to transfer my mates bike collection, even with all docs, his passport, and him including a full letter authorizing, etc etc.. They demanded a 'current' entry stamp.. 

After months of back and forth he flew here, got a 30 day stamp, and left again.. In that 30 days (they couldnt check he had left) his mate got it done. 

Some LTOs also demand a residence paper from the seller. Chiang Mai did this to me one time. 

Chiang Mai Transportation office don´t want a residence certificate from seller, 

i just bought a bike and I gt only the first page of the passport (copy) and all the transfer papers signed. 

I explained to the women who is the boss in the department, that the old owner already left and we not have other papers, but we want to register on my gf name. 

So I need to give them a copy of my passport with my Visa, aso, the power of attorney from my gf, her ID card copy, all transfer papers signed from her. And everything works normal, they charged me 200 bath for not having the Visa of the seller but this was ok. This was 2 weeks ago!

27 minutes ago, chickenrunCM said:

Chiang Mai Transportation office don´t want a residence certificate from seller

People need to learn never to give absolutes when it comes to Thai officialdom.. 

Chiang Mai 100% did want a residence certificate from the seller when I was buying something, and refused to transfer it (multiple times, both myself and to my missus as a to a Thai) the seller (a friend luckily) had left the country and even after he returned had one hell of a time getting one due to being on a 30 day stamp, eventually he used his embassy (IIRC). 

So chiang mai 'usually' dont want something from the seller may be right.. But you can never say 'this is how it is' because that can changer per officer, per day, hell per hour.. 

8 hours ago, chickenrunCM said:

Chiang Mai Transportation office don´t want a residence certificate from seller, 

i just bought a bike and I gt only the first page of the passport (copy) and all the transfer papers signed. 

I explained to the women who is the boss in the department, that the old owner already left and we not have other papers, but we want to register on my gf name. 

So I need to give them a copy of my passport with my Visa, aso, the power of attorney from my gf, her ID card copy, all transfer papers signed from her. And everything works normal, they charged me 200 bath for not having the Visa of the seller but this was ok. This was 2 weeks ago!

Why was a copy of your visa and docs needed when the bike was going in your GF's name ?

On 9.1.2017 at 7:24 PM, LivinLOS said:

People need to learn never to give absolutes when it comes to Thai officialdom.. 

Chiang Mai 100% did want a residence certificate from the seller when I was buying something, and refused to transfer it (multiple times, both myself and to my missus as a to a Thai) the seller (a friend luckily) had left the country and even after he returned had one hell of a time getting one due to being on a 30 day stamp, eventually he used his embassy (IIRC). 

So chiang mai 'usually' dont want something from the seller may be right.. But you can never say 'this is how it is' because that can changer per officer, per day, hell per hour.. 

we buying about 20 -30 bikes a year and selling too, and never ever they ask for e residence certificate. only the new owner need it if he is a foreigner, but never the seller. Because the paper you need is written in Thai law and not depends to any day or mood of a person

11 hours ago, chickenrunCM said:

Because the paper you need is written in Thai law and not depends to any day or mood of a person

ha ha ha.. Its really not that uncommon an occurrence.. As I say happened to me in chiang mai and phuket.. Happened to friends in both places.. 

And if you think 'thai law' makes everything clear and consistent officer to officer.. well lets just say I disagree.. 

Archived