Environment activists protest against China’s reefs blasting in the Mekong river

webfact

58 minutes ago, timber said:

Not too sure what is accomplished by negatively going over history.  We have a problem now that we have to solve now and not too sure who is significantly doing anything about it.  2020 was the date indicated as a tripping point to extinction of the human race and the big four: Russia, USA, China and India are so mired in greed, and big egos that I don't see anything happening by then.  The technology is there, but no one is prepared to use it.

And... if looking at history, the mistakes made were largely due to ignorance.

others could and should learn from these mistakes... before ruining their own environment.

6 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Yes and its alarming. Its popping up all over the planet with abandon. Its happening in the physical and monetary sense both. Its funny how China whines about the president of Taiwan landing in the US and so called infringements in the Spratlys. They do pretty well what they want to around the globe. They seem to have a road map as well. 

Reminds me of Monty python.

i like Chinese... there's 400 million of them in the world today....

21 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Here is a picture of just how much of a dam the Chinese give about the Mekong Riverand its environment. 

ratcatcher, 

An excellent graphic, that really shows the gravity of being downstream of those damn-crazy water-dragons! 

You'd have to feel sorry for those poor  Vietnamese citizens who depend on the Mekong for their livelihood!!! 

3 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Imagine how the Cambodians and Mekong delta Vietnamese feel, their lives depend on it to a huge degree. But, yes you are quite right.

Are these damns built already, or proposed?

either way... if managed properly, unlike Thai water management, it may not really be an issue

lol... until a drought, then send in the damn buster bombers :1zgarz5:

18 hours ago, Thechook said:

The don't and never have given a damn about the environment.   Life is all about China and will continue to rape and destroy the planet.

The PRC as you know always states publicly and consistently that it strongly supports and abides by all international treaties, laws, agreements and norms.

Except the ones that do not suit them.....

13 hours ago, Alan Deer said:

Halloween, your posts on this thread would indicate a profound ignorance of the ecology of rivers.

Yes amongst other things fish use them to lay eggs and breed and they act as "baffles" that restrict the flows and prevent erosion....if you tinker with the flow of a river you affect the wildlife, the course of the river and the livlihoods of those who have for generations lived off the river.

I do so wish that people would educate  themselves on these issues before posting nonsense that serves no purpose other than to make themselves look stupid.

I educate myself by asking questions of those professing knowledge. Are you saying that river reefs are a lot like dams?

2 hours ago, halloween said:

I educate myself by asking questions of those professing knowledge. Are you saying that river reefs are a lot like dams?

Your system for educating youself doesn't work.

Of course they are not like dams. But just to show how off your approach is...where did I mention dams in that context?

If you want to educate yourself fisrtly look up and learn what critical thinking is. 

Building of dams used to be thought of as a green solution for everything....in the last 50 the science has radically changed...that is what science continuously does.....unfortunately uninformed and rather stupid elderly politicians don't change so easily and the prospect of making a fortune for themselves tends to override the science.

In general dams seldom live up to their promise and cause far more negative issues than they solve.

10 hours ago, farcanell said:

Are these damns built already, or proposed?

either way... if managed properly, unlike Thai water management, it may not really be an issue

lol... until a drought, then send in the damn buster bombers :1zgarz5:

Farcanell.....Dams are a huge issue..the ramifications of dam building will be felt by millions if people in all countries that the Nejing flows...it used to flow through...a river is not just water and fish...it is a massive engergy and an enormous ecosystem...its effects extend far beyond its banks.

1 hour ago, Alan Deer said:

Your system for educating youself doesn't work.

Of course they are not like dams. But just to show how off your approach is...where did I mention dams in that context?

If you want to educate yourself fisrtly look up and learn what critical thinking is. 

I mentioned dams, as they also slow flow flow and reduce erosion. But you're right, my system of education doesn't work, when those asked would rather insult than answer.

BTW Hydro generation reduces the emission of millions of tons of CO2 annually, and are the cleanest and most energy efficient method of non-fossil generation. But, hey, what's that compared to your non-specified negative issues.

36 minutes ago, halloween said:

I mentioned dams, as they also slow flow flow and reduce erosion. But you're right, my system of education doesn't work, when those asked would rather insult than answer.

BTW Hydro generation reduces the emission of millions of tons of CO2 annually, and are the cleanest and most energy efficient method of non-fossil generation. But, hey, what's that compared to your non-specified negative issues.

You seem to think that plucking a single issue in isolation and erroneously expressing it is an argument...its not it is basically a false dichotomy ..please get informed on the topic, then your posts might have some valid content. 

In not insulting you, I'm suggesting ways that you might improve your lack of knowledge both of this issue and of critical thinking...neither of which you appear to understand.

BTW

If you think about it dams don't replace or reduce anything.

If you want to learn you need to ask the right questions 

11 minutes ago, Alan Deer said:

You seem to think that plucking a single issue in isolation and erroneously expressing it is an argument...its not..please get informed on the topic, then your posts might have some valid content. 

In not insulting you, I'm suggesting ways that you might improve your lack of knowledge both of this issue and of critical thinking...neither of which you appear to understand.

Really? What was erroneous about my statement.? It seems much more valid than your claim that science and the world has moved on from dam building. Of course, the current crop of planned dams are proposed by people incapable of critical thinking; scientists and engineers who don't prescribe to GreenPiss's latest psuedo-science BS.

2 minutes ago, halloween said:

Really? What was erroneous about my statement.? It seems much more valid than your claim that science and the world has moved on from dam building. Of course, the current crop of planned dams are proposed by people incapable of critical thinking; scientists and engineers who don't prescribe to GreenPiss's latest psuedo-science BS.

Look, you obviously don't understand my posts or the topic. Please just take time out and get up to speed before posting. It is not possible to discuss a topic with someone who argues from a point of complete ignorance.

On 1/9/2017 at 4:29 AM, leeneeds said:

Once refused permission!

a change of government,

permission granted !

brown paper bag must be involved,

as  there would be no other sane reason, to be blasting natural reefs in any place in the world,

killing natural breeding grounds for fish and other life forms.

Chinese arrogance and disrespect on display yet again.

More more appropriate to blame Thai greed.

It isn't just straightforward greed - although I'm sure China knows how to appeal to local authorities desire for wealth.

China has a big trade problem - It is a vast country and the western half has not access to the rest of the world - any goods produced end up haveing to go via Chin'as eastern seaboard to reach markets that are in the opposite direction.

in the 19th century countries like Britain would send round a gunboat and force countries to trade or just invade and take over. China can't do that, but they do have an aggressive program of expansion throughout S.E. asia, especially South and west - they allows then much better access to the world markets to the western hemisphere.

However their plans just as at home are not particularly eco-friendly and they want to push through regardless - they are using money in the form of aid and loans to "help" countries develop transport systems that are in the end useful to China - railways, roads, rivers utilities and infrastructure - it doesn't matter - the sooner they are built the sooner china can open up the markets........

It really is the job of governments like Thailand Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam to stop behaving like schoolboys taking sweets from strangers and heed the warnings about Greeks bearing gifts and consider4 the long term effects, which will in the end affect their own rank and file.

Archived