Chinese expat community swells in Thailand 

webfact

10 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Many Chinese here in Chiang Mai, many of whom have their kids in schools here which they believe offer better but cheaper education then similar schools in China. Nearly all are of the "middle class", generally pleasant unassuming people who simply want a better life for their kids than they feel China offers. 

From what they tell us many more on the way.  1507625.GIF

Only the super rich Chinese can afford to colonize places like Toronto... ? and welcomed with open arms...

5 hours ago, Dustdevil said:

More educated ones will settle in Thailand. I know a lot of mainland educated Chinese. Most of them can't stand their own country. They're not stupid and they don't believe anything their asinine government tells them.

It must feel like a home away from home then.

5 hours ago, fruitman said:

Expat Chinese are very well mannered, speak good english, are polite and kind and great to have a conversation with.

Funny thing is they don't know much about Asian food which amazes me. I met one who had never seen peanutsauce before.

The Chinese expats are very happy to be out of China and breathe "fresh" air.

I guess there is a huge variety of what is 'Chinese food', due to China's geographical and sociological size, that even the Chinese themselves have problems identifying. I have two Chinese friends who constantly argue (good-naturedly of course) about what food came from which part of China - both are very convinced that each has the most accurate historical detail! As for Asian food, it's probably too much for them to handle... they have enough to deal with, with their 'own food'...  LOL

1 hour ago, hawker9000 said:

'On track to be the next province to be colonized by the Chinese, so none of this is much of a surprise.   When you catch on to this, the single internet gateway, Article 44, the latest computer crimes law and roundup, "enhanced" immigration procedures, anti-defamation,  etc. - it all sort o' comes together and begins to make much more sense.  To a Chinese, the relative freedom from Beijingerie must seem like heaven, but that'll gradually change as Thailand is Burmanated. 

All of that plus Ten Cent and Alibaba moving into Thailand says all you need to know about the future here.

31 minutes ago, outsider said:

I guess there is a huge variety of what is 'Chinese food', due to China's geographical and sociological size, that even the Chinese themselves have problems identifying. I have two Chinese friends who constantly argue (good-naturedly of course) about what food came from which part of China - both are very convinced that each has the most accurate historical detail! As for Asian food, it's probably too much for them to handle... they have enough to deal with, with their 'own food'...  LOL

Well the weird thing is that EVERY chinese restaurant in Europe sells satay with peanutsauce and the Chinese guy i just met came from a big city in China but he had never seen peanutsauce or guava and some more food that i forget. I also thought that China is a big producer of peanuts. Indonesian kitchen also uses a lot of peanutsauce, much more than the Thai.

I guess peanutsauce or peanutbutter will be a huge success to sell in China mainland...somewhere in the middle.

7 hours ago, Dustdevil said:

More educated ones will settle in Thailand. I know a lot of mainland educated Chinese. Most of them can't stand their own country. They're not stupid and they don't believe anything their asinine government tells them.

Yep, any level of leverage and they are out. Money fleeing China to elsewhere, anywhere else is phenomenal. If Canada, Australia, US is too difficult or expensive it will be any other corner of the globe. Shanghai and more particularly Beijing is unlivable. Totally unlivable without prospects for most. They have pushed it past point of return. 

6 hours ago, TheLairdofCockPen said:

Why?

One thing for sure, I bet they don't sit at home all day criticizing Thailand on a Chinese Expat Forum.

They'll be learning the language and integrating and forming a REAL community, helping each other out, unlike the white Westerners here.

They will be helping themselves and forming a real community for themselves.

3 hours ago, puukao said:

?

3 hours ago, puukao said:

I went to Church and they spoke English.  Was this the truth?

I went to buy a used car.  What this the truth?

I voted for Trump.  Did they all speak the truth?

Are you fluent in Chinese and the zillion dialects?

sometimes talking with someone with a brain hurts.

Still trying to work out what you are trying to say

But in time like many of the other countries you will find out that what I said is very true

Now you go and have a LIE down and rest

Keep Well

You don't see large factories built by Chinese companies that are employing many Thais (with good job skills and good wages) with Japanese managers with goods being sent overseas. What you see is Chinese starting small businesses or building hotels and employing small amounts of Thais at low wages. They are essentially getting their money out of China and getting themselves out of China. Not good for Thailand in the long run. 

On 09/01/2017 at 9:31 AM, Docno said:

As others have said, the expat Chinese can be quite different from the Chinese tourists you may encounter at the airport (yelling down corridors or cutting queues). I have a Chinese expat friend who complains about them more than me. She even says she can't understand why 'they' have to talk so loud and be so rude... makes her embarrassed of holding her passport. Possibly like the typical Brit back when their football hooligan brethren used to terrorise Europe...  

Typically most 'Brits'  do not follow football and are certainly not hooligans. However the term 'Brit' is now deemed racist which reflects your generalisation about a nation state comprising four separate  countries and a myriad of disparate and distinct cultures. 

On 1/9/2017 at 4:21 PM, fruitman said:

Well the weird thing is that EVERY chinese restaurant in Europe sells satay with peanutsauce and the Chinese guy i just met came from a big city in China but he had never seen peanutsauce or guava and some more food that i forget. I also thought that China is a big producer of peanuts. Indonesian kitchen also uses a lot of peanutsauce, much more than the Thai.

I guess peanutsauce or peanutbutter will be a huge success to sell in China mainland...somewhere in the middle.

LOL... I understand what you mean. It's just like how almost all Japanese restaurants here - no matter how authentic they are (and I'm not talking about the big-chain Fuji and Oishi varieties, but the neighbourhood ones that Japanese actually frequent) - serve 'California Roll', which is absolutely not a Japanese dish and has nothing to do with Japanese cuisine whatsoever. I guess this is the culinary equivalent of 'When in Rome...' :laugh:

59 minutes ago, outsider said:

LOL... I understand what you mean. It's just like how almost all Japanese restaurants here - no matter how authentic they are (and I'm not talking about the big-chain Fuji and Oishi varieties, but the neighbourhood ones that Japanese actually frequent) - serve 'California Roll', which is absolutely not a Japanese dish and has nothing to do with Japanese cuisine whatsoever. I guess this is the culinary equivalent of 'When in Rome...' :laugh:

Another strange thing is that the Zen and Oishi and other big ones serve better sushi than the real restaurants i tried in Tokyo. Also hachiban69 has better ramen in BKK.

In Chinatown absolutely nobody can speak english except the young generation who is in their mid twenties. They have studied abroad and will take over the business soon.

I met some Chinese expats in their mid twenties who also speak very good english but have learned that in China. If more of those guys come to BKK i'm happy cause they are well mannered and we can speak english to them.

Many of them also can speak thai now since the Thai they do business with can't speak english 5555.

Also i wonder why Thai are learning chinese since the chinese can speak english. The educated ones that is.