Video: Hunt on for foreigners who disrespected Thai flag

webfact

Just now, LannaGuy said:

agreed - silly prank - fine them but don't give in to OTT nationalism 

Yes, we ALL learn from mistakes...Life's learning curve......In our day and age it seems money is everything...Nothing else matters.....prison does sod all...

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These two youngsters have done something very stupid because it feeds nationalistic hysteria and the junta will no doubt give enough publicity to this to exacerbate the xenophobia that they're  feeding to the people's minds.

They deserved nothing more than a slap on the wrist but no doubt that this will be made a national matter. It fits so well into the current grand scheme of isolationism and "Thailand über alles" .

Too bad the police can not make the same effort when foreigners are attacked and abused.

This is vandalism and wrong. It should be treated as vandalism.These two twits most likely have no idea as to what Thai flag looks like. In the video, the drapings are used as decoration and are not set up in an appropriate manner. If one wishes to demand respect for a flag, then hang it in the appropriate manner.

1 hour ago, cmsally said:

Seriously looking at that, a lot of tourists would not be aware that they were Thai flags. For starters they are hanging the wrong way around and to anyone else apart from a Thai , probably look like shopping mall decoration.

Doesn't make what they did any less wrong.

1 hour ago, boomerangutang said:

Rip down a flag: get fined and/or go to prison.

Destroy a forest: mai pen rai.

Note:  thousands of rai of green forested properties are rendered flat clay - then covered with concrete/asphalt/buildings .....every week in Thailand.  Thai authorities have no problem with that, because it reeks of money.

Nonsense.

However different the political views or drunk 1 might be, he/she should always respect the sacred symbols of one's country, religion and beliefs.

I have no sympathy for stupidity. They r full grown man n fully responsible for their actions.

52 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Hire a hitman and have him commit a murder for you- released on bail as you're a doctor and therefor basically a good person.

Rip down a flag (which I agree is wrong) and face the full force of the law- gotta love it!

So you know the outcome of this incident, were they denied bail (if it was even necessary) as you are suggesting?

About time Thai's got their priorities right

How many deaths on the road in the last 7 days caused by outright stupidity snd lawbreaking?

How much money stolen from public coffers by greedy government officials?

Oh, and I could go on about a number of other issues, thugh that would probaby end up with me being thrown in jail/

Time they got over themselves

40 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

You clearly did not read your link.

You will not be punished as a foreigner to the USA even if you take a dump on the flag of the USA.

Read and post correctly please.

What he posted was accurate, you didn't read his post correctly, did you?

Whether the foreigners recognised the Thai flags or not.. it is not ok to tear down n destroy public or private property.

I question some of your logic here in saying that they not might know...

Edited by Moonmoon

15 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Too bad the police can not make the same effort when foreigners are attacked and abused.

Such as which attacks?

Edited by gdgbb

7 minutes ago, Cockwomble said:

How many deaths on the road in the last 7 days caused by outright stupidity snd lawbreaking?

Oh, and I could go on about a number of other issues, thugh that would probaby end up with me being thrown in jail/

I think we may be discussing a farang issue here in LOS and not a Thai issue...

5 minutes ago, Cockwomble said:

Well, Thailand is trying to do something about road deaths but the officers investigating this offence are probably not the same ones specifically responsible for road safety improvements and you may have noticed that other offences are being investigated concurrently.   Everything else hasn't stopped for a "flag" offence.

By the way, how much money is "stolen from public coffers by greedy government officials"?

Any foreigner here saying stuff like "put them in prison", etc, really needs their heads examined. You simply wish you could have the same done in your own country to 'foreigners'. I imagine your home country has grown out of this silly nationalistic nonsense but you still wanna feel uniquely special. It's mind-numbingly backwards when you want a prison sentence for people tearing down a bit of cloth. 

"I don't care for symbols because they're for 'symbol' people" The last bit is a pun on 'simple'. And it's completely true. 

Again, visitors to a "foreign" country acting If they were in their country, being drunk and stupid.

If you obey the laws of YOUR country AND use common sense in THIS country, you will be within 90-95% range of  Thai laws / regulations.

Just now, transam said:

So your forefathers that fought under a flag are not as important as your iPhone...?

'Our' forefathers fought for the right of freedom. Even if that means burning or desecrating a flag. You have the freedom to do so. 

3 minutes ago, transam said:

So your forefathers that fought under a flag are not as important as your iPhone...?

I do not own an iPhone or other smartphone.

Nationalism causes war PERIOD. My forefathers fought under a flag to enslave Indonesia and other colonies, not really proud of that...

Anyway, they were stupid to act like that and should pay the damage done. This is not Italy...

Edited by Uncle Bob

2 hours ago, robblok said:

In my country they don't care much about the flag either... not a nation of flag wavers and saluting the flag and so on.  But it seems logical to me to respect an other countries flag. I would not disrespect a flag in any country. 

I don't think in the countries of either of my nationalities, there would be any legal sanctions, and even if they are on the statute books, no one would be that thin skinned. You might get your face rearranged if the wrong people witnessed it though.........

4 minutes ago, transam said:

NOT on holiday............

Yea, I'm not talking about the Thai flag. Heaven forbid you ever do anything to that flag. That one is special.

I'm talking about our forefathers who fought in WW1 and/or WW2, etc. I mean my own flag. I would have no interest in burning any flag, but if you wanna burn my flag, have at it. I'm not 9 years old and have a life to be getting on with. 

Who knows? Maybe their mate has been set up by the police and jailed for something he didn't do. Or maybe they've been scammed out of lots of money and Thai law will not do anything about it. Or maybe their brother has been murdered by a rich Thai, and nobody in Thailand is interested in seeing justice.

But, hey, a flag or five - lock the farangs up!!

1 minute ago, rkidlad said:

Yea, I'm not talking about the Thai flag. Heaven forbid you ever do anything to that flag. That one is special.

I'm talking about our forefathers who fought in WW1 and/or WW2, etc. I mean my own flag. I would have no interest in burning any flag, but if you wanna burn my flag, have at it. I'm not 9 years old and have a life to be getting on with. 

It is SPECIAL to Thai folk, I have been here long enough to understand that...If foreigners want to come to LOS and feeerk around then they will PAY if disrespectful............That's it......

2 hours ago, thai006 said:

should take  them to jail  1 or 2 year here for respect Thailand 

Yes but let a group of Thais kick a foreigner near to death and watch them receive a 500 baht fine. I guess that is a kind of respect in Thailand, as in you respect us but we will disrespect everything that isn't Thai. Let's start with the derogatory word Farang and take all the way racist depictions and public billboards of Hitler. 

1 minute ago, transam said:

It is SPECIAL to Thai folk, I have been here long enough to understand that...If foreigners want to come to LOS and feeerk around then they will PAY if disrespectful............That's it......

Yes, I'm sure the flag offers a lot of comfort. I'm simply trying to say it's just a bit of cloth. Simply putting things into perspective for the outraged. 

4 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Yes, I'm sure the flag offers a lot of comfort. I'm simply trying to say it's just a bit of cloth. Simply putting things into perspective for the outraged. 

My boxers are too........Gawd.......