If you are a Brit you cannot hide - scary !!

JoePai

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/5/2017 at 7:00 AM, chiang mai said:

At the moment yes, that's correct, but I can see a time in the future where that may change.

As for a nil return: there was a poster about a month ago who wanted to do this because he wanted to prove he was tax resident here, in order to satisfy some western tax authority or similar.

On 2/5/2017 at 8:09 AM, jayboy said:

Yes it might change though as far as I'm aware there's no immediate prospect.I noted the case you refer to and frankly couldn't understand why he was bothering.I think I posted at the time that where the situation is not clear cut, it's always good practice not to ask a question of the Thai authorities where you might get an answer not to one's liking.

And if it were to change you would, of course, need to be mindful of the provisions of any double taxation agreement existing between your home country and Thailand. In the case of us Brits, for example, my understanding of Article 7 of the Thailand/UK agreement is that income derived from renting out property which you own in the UK is only taxable by the jolly old taxman in HMRC (unlike pension income which, as already stated, is, in theory, liable to be taxed in LOS):-

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/507424/uk-thailand-dtc180281_-_in_force.pdf

Moreover, if the Thai tax authorities did decide to go after retirees and other non-immigrants who were under their radar, they would presumably be dependent on assistance from their Immigration Bureau colleagues in identifying the relevant individuals. Even if the Immigration Bureau were willing to co-operate in this way (after all, "joined up government" is an alien concept here unlike back in the UK), this would then beg the question as to whether these records would be sufficiently comprehensive for this purpose. Since they are apparently incapable of identifying individuals who have not exited and then re-entered Thailand at any time in recent years in the context of online 90-day reporting (when this is working), for example, the answer would seem to be "no" at the present time.

Eventually, of course, Immigration Bureau records will probably prove sufficiently shipshape to be used in this way - although I strongly suspect that the day of reckoning is still some way off.

In my case I receive a UK State (Old Age) Pension fixed as of my 65 birthday and I also receive a UK Forces Pension which increases with the years. Both are sent directly to my Thai Bank account.

The State pension comes free of charge and a small charge less then 3 pounds for my forces pension.

john

8 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

If as some folk are suggesting we folk receiving UK Pension, may end up paying Thai 'Income' tax, does this suggest we will receive Thai health benefits ?

john

You will not end up paying Thai income tax as the double taxation clause kicks in and tax is higher in the UK than in Thailand so there is nothing to pay.

As for Thai health benefits....you wish. All you can do is save your pennies and hope for a healthy life.

6 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

The Frang businessmen I know tell me they pay either a business Tax or register for VAT. and they seem to have Thai Health cards.

No Thai I no pays Income tax.

I was asking to help me learn.

john

Sorry you come from the wrong side of the Pennies, a cross to carry.

Only about than 2% of the population pay income tax in Thailand.

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2013/07/income-tax-equality-and-the-thai-budget/

Archived