Visa For Thai Boyfriend To U.s.a.

Hello.

The story goes, my friend graduated with a master's degree and returned to Thailand. For some reason he's decided he wants to return to the U.S.A. and live with me and get to know me better. (I don't know why he didn't take me up on it a few years ago - though says he was too shy).

Anyway, he said his VISA expired or his status changed a while ago (within a few months), so he would take the letter he received from a former instructor who is the CEO of a company and offered him a job to the immigration to see if he could gain re-entry to the U.S.A. with sponsorship and get a work VISA.

Alas! For some reason this did not work, so he writes back to me that he will be unable to come to the U.S.A. as early as planned due to the OPT status and that he will come after July with a Tourist VISA or a phd VISA.

Wow! Is there anything anyone knows that can help here? I have no idea, except I know there are many different types of VISAs. I also know that he would be working harder to call me on the phone and/or chat on MSN if he were desperate to get a Fiance VISA or something like that. He just wants to come here and get to know me and now develop a relationship with me. What is the best way? :o

Is he planning on going back to school in the US? If he is then he could try for the student visa which it seems he has already had, so he should know the guidelines for that one.

Tourist visas are not easy for Thais if they have no assets in Thailand. If he has assets in Thailand (land, house, car, money in the bank, job to come back to) then he would also need a letter from you saying that he would be staying with you for the duration of his stay. you would also have to show that you have someplace for him to stay (ie do you own or rent? show documents).

Green cards/work permits are not that easy and each country has a certain number allowed it (I understand Ireland has the highest number). If he has any special computer skills I know there is a visa for skilled technical people.

Personally, unless he has assets in Thailand I don't see him easily getting another visa. You might try contacting the consular section of the US embassy in Bangkok and asking for their advice, they have been very helpful to me in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

As I see it, the only way he can go to the US is on a Fiancee visa.

And as he already have been in the US before, it's not that difficult.

But you then need to file an I-129F petition for Alien Fiance(e) with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).

After an USCIS office in the U.S. processes and approves an I-129F petition, it will be forwarded directly to the Immigrant Visa Unit (IV Unit) of the Bangkok Consular Section.

You are welcome to PM my for further advice :o