How To Write Thai (tattoo)

stef24

a friend would like to get a tattoo in thai script. could anyone write out "mai pen rai" in thai script here in the forum?

to be able to write this out myself, would i have to get a keyboard with thai characters, or could i type out the letters by hitting the right western letters? id like to write it out myself in large font to take to tattoo parlor. are there many different thai fonts available?

cheers!

OK, now that I gave you an absolutely useless post, I'll redeem myself. I googled it, using the phrases "no problem" "mai pen rai" "thai script" and on the first page found the below. But be sure to confirm it (hee hee hee). :o

ไม่เป็นไร mai pen rai

Also Wikipedia gives the following in their article on URL http://wikitravel[dot]org/en/Thai_phrasebook

Mai pen rai

Many a visitor has suggested, perhaps slightly tongue in cheek, that ไม่เป็นไร mai pen rai should be the national motto of Thailand.

Edited by toptuan

Sorry for being a bit dim but does this have more in translation in Thailand than over in uk? :o

Not sure if I understand your question. Are you asking if "mai pen rai" has more meanings in Thailand than it has in the UK? Do the Brits use "mai pen rai?" :D

Edited by toptuan

Sorry for being a bit dim but does this have more in translation in Thailand than over in uk? :o

Do you mean does ไม่เป็นไร have more than 1 meaning?

ITR :D

It's a pretty broad expression...

"Chill out!"

"No problem"

"No thank you."

"You're welcome"

"Don't mention it"

"Take it easy"

"Don't be worried"

"Don't get anxious"

"Don't bother with it. Find another way."

"Don't get your panties in a bunch"

"Cool off"

"Be cool"

"Don't impose your 1st-world hangups on a developing country's culture!"

"Take ten calm breaths, and try again."

"No thanks"

"Don't need any, thanks anyway."

...and probably a dozen more expressions I haven't thought of at the moment....

Do you mean does ไม่เป็นไร have more than 1 meaning?

It's a pretty broad expression...

"Chill out!"

"No problem"

"No thank you."

"You're welcome"

"Don't mention it"

"Take it easy"

"Don't be worried"

"Don't get anxious"

"Don't bother with it. Find another way."

"Don't get your panties in a bunch"

"Cool off"

"Be cool"

"Don't impose your 1st-world hangups on a developing country's culture!"

"Take ten calm breaths, and try again."

"No thanks"

"Don't need any, thanks anyway."

...and probably a dozen more expressions I haven't thought of at the moment....

I was replying to glenbat's post about having more in translation in Thailand than in the UK. I was confused as to what his point was hence I asked him that question... :D

As for the examples It's not that broad.

I would say it means "forget about it"

Sure it can be substituted for other words at times but it definately doesnt carry those meanings as per my examples of a couple below.. :D

"Chill out!" ใจเย็นเย็นลง

"No problem" ไมมีปัญหา

"No thank you." ไม่เอาครับ

on the subject of tattoo's but slightly off topic a friend has asked me for a translation of "as fierce as a tiger as gentle as a lamb".. anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

This is as close I can get. Maybe Bambina or others might have something closer. I have never heard as gentle as a Lamb (baby yes but never lamb) :o

ดุร้ายเหมือนเสือ อ่อนโยนเหมือนลูกเเกะ

doo rai muuan suua oon yon muuan lug gae

Hope this helps :D

ITR

to be able to write this out myself, would i have to get a keyboard with thai characters, or could i type out the letters by hitting the right western letters? id like to write it out myself in large font to take to tattoo parlor. are there many different thai fonts available?

You wouldn't need a Thai keyboard, but you do need to set your puter up correctly to type the Thai characters. I believe instructions to do so can be found on this website. If not, they can be Goggled. Don't worry, it's easy.

There are many Thai fonts available on the Internet, some of which are quite beautiful. Again, just Google it.

OK, now that I gave you an absolutely useless post, I'll redeem myself. I googled it, using the phrases "no problem" "mai pen rai" "thai script" and on the first page found the below. But be sure to confirm it (hee hee hee). :o

ไม่เป็นไร mai pen rai

Also Wikipedia gives the following in their article on URL http://wikitravel[dot]org/en/Thai_phrasebook

Mai pen rai

Many a visitor has suggested, perhaps slightly tongue in cheek, that ไม่เป็นไร mai pen rai should be the national motto of Thailand.

I am from Norway and I can read Thai. I can conform that is correct. 100% sure (ไม่เป็นไร)