FIFA agrees to expand World Cup to 48 teams

Jonathan Fairfield

Why not do it like the Fa cup? Minnows play in groups and the top teams join in after the first week or so. The cup is bigger, more nationalities have a chance to be involved, top nations only join in when it gets serious in latter rounds (first round group, 2nd round group when top teams join winning minnows, group winners in knockout rounds). Have I got the job?

Following the "logic" of many posters the World Cup ought to be open to every country on earth. Infantino and company are just following the tried and true MO of Blatter and his cronies. The more things change the more they remain the same.

Following the "logic" of many posters the World Cup ought to be open to every country on earth. Infantino and company are just following the tried and true MO of Blatter and his cronies. The more things change the more they remain the same.

It is open to every country on earth, as long as they become a FIFA member.

Around 30-40 countries are currently unable to compete.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

6 minutes ago, LammyTS1 said:

It is open to every country on earth, as long as they become a FIFA member.

Indeed, poor wording on my part. My point being that Infantino is only repeating the Blatter scheme of throwing bones to as many as possible, so that their votes can be relied on down the line when necessary.

Do you really think that Infantino gives a shit about the extra countries that would be included ? Ridiculous.

Indeed, poor wording on my part. My point being that Infantino is only repeating the Blatter scheme of throwing bones to as many as possible, so that their votes can be relied on down the line when necessary.

Do you really think that Infantino gives a shit about the extra countries that would be included ? Ridiculous.

No problem.

Personally I would like to see 48 teams in the finals and more Asian, Oceanic, Central American & African teams in the finals.

Currently Oceanic gets no automatic place in the finals. Instead they must play off with S.America No5 although I think for Russia they will play off with the winners of the Asia 5/6th play off.

Because of the difficulty of qualification, Australia moved from Oceanic to the Asian qualifiers. How they managed to do this I don't know.

Hopefully they will now get 1 spot when it changes to 48.