Has DVD R-W been discontinued?

samtam

I have been trying to buy DVD R-W at several locations in recent days, but am told they are no longer available in Thailand. Is this because DVD R-W are banned (DVD R are plentiful), or is there some new-fangled technology that supersedes their use?

I used to buy TDK or Imation, but niet niet now, and only Princo DVD R.

Que pasa?

I bought a couple of DVD-RW disks a few weeks ago in Tukcom. About 40B each, I think. I saw them in BigC Sukumvit also. I only use them because my car hifi has no USB slot but does read 320kbs MP3 tracks on DVD-R(W) disks. So I load a couple of them up with hours of BBC radio programmes.

11 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I bought a couple of DVD-RW disks a few weeks ago in Tukcom. About 40B each, I think. I saw them in BigC Sukumvit also. I only use them because my car hifi has no USB slot but does read 320kbs MP3 tracks on DVD-R(W) disks. So I load a couple of them up with hours of BBC radio programmes.

Have a look at the beast linked below. I am very happy with it. It does wonders charging your mobile, being handsfree via your radio, it can play music from your mobile via FM on your radio, and it plays from USB-Sticks, too.

A steal at that price. All you need is a cigarette lighter plug in your car.

Play USB-Stick/Bluetooth to Radio

DVD-Rs and DVD-RWs don't last, data recorded can be damaged within just a year; whilst CD-R can last for long time (100-years has been stated). DVDs were interesting for storage, and re-write, when datas in amount of 4GB were a problem on other portable storage media. Today it's replaced by flash-memory, fx. the USB-stick you buy for next-to-nothing when they only can store 4GB or 8GB. A flash-memory can normally last for about 5-years, if you count to be on the safe side; but just like any other storage media, you can be lucky that it will last many more years, or even fail in short time – professional cloud-storage managers will replace HDDs after 3-years, and SSDs after 5-years – so always remember back-up...:whistling:

On 11/01/2017 at 10:02 AM, hkt83100 said:

Have a look at the beast linked below. I am very happy with it. It does wonders charging your mobile, being handsfree via your radio, it can play music from your mobile via FM on your radio, and it plays from USB-Sticks, too.

A steal at that price. All you need is a cigarette lighter plug in your car.

Play USB-Stick/Bluetooth to Radio

I thought this looked quite clever so I ordered one. It does work, it does play from a USB memory stick and the sound quality is reasonable for FM radio. Unfortunately unlike my car audio system it doesnt remember where it was in the mp3 when you turn the motor off and on again, which in practice means that if you make short journeys it keeps playing the same radio programme over from the beginning, which is no good if you have many two-hour radio programmes stored as I do.

So for around town use I went back to DVDRWs but I will certainly use this for long trips, and for that I will compile a USB memory stick with many shorter tracks.

Haven't tested the Bluetooth/charger functions yet but the latter should be useful.

On 18/01/2017 at 3:30 PM, KittenKong said:

I thought this looked quite clever so I ordered one. It does work, it does play from a USB memory stick and the sound quality is reasonable for FM radio. Unfortunately unlike my car audio system it doesnt remember where it was in the mp3 when you turn the motor off and on again, which in practice means that if you make short journeys it keeps playing the same radio programme over from the beginning, which is no good if you have many two-hour radio programmes stored as I do.

So for around town use I went back to DVDRWs but I will certainly use this for long trips, and for that I will compile a USB memory stick with many shorter tracks.

Haven't tested the Bluetooth/charger functions yet but the latter should be useful.

I do have USB in the pickup, but I use DVDR's. I load so many hours of music in MP3 format that by the time it gets around to the first song again it sounds fresh. The USB connection in the Triton is OK if you were driving non stop for a few hours, but it's a pain for short trips as you have to select USB mode through the Sat/Nav every time you turn the engine off and on again. It does remember the last track playing though.

Archived