Butt naked farang lets the western side down in Pai!

webfact

6 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

"Some foreigners are walking down the main street in Pai in bikinis" 

A visit to a German or a Scandinavian beach would be a real shocker for the resort owner from Pai.

Just learn that this is another country, another cuture and then even you might find your answer.

Just not the right way to do things here. The culture already states that kissing eachother in public is an offense and not proper behavior.

Just learn to live like a thai if someone want´s to be in this country. Just an advice to fit in.

In this country what is shown on the picture from  OP is disquisting, just let it be that then and don´t try to change things in a country you not know much about.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Well there you go, pleased you sorted out my error in not realising that the hill tribe folks had been in that area for thousands of years. Further, 20 plus years back there were virtually no hill tribe people in Pai itself  - nothing there for them to bother visiting. 

Some are recent refugees, some have always been there.  A large part of neighboring Myanmar was part of Thailand before the British swapped it for what became the southern states, the reason they wanted the region was because of the drugs, the only interest in the place throughout history has been their drugs, apart that is from the backpackers who bought sustainable tourism in the form of trekking, canoeing, rafting, climbing and the like.

5 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Just learn that this is another country, another cuture and then even you might find your answer.

Just not the right way to do things here. The culture already states that kissing eachother in public is an offense and not proper behavior.

Just learn to live like a thai if someone want´s to be in this country. Just an advice to fit in.

In this country what is shown on the picture from  OP is disquisting, just let it be that then and don´t try to change things in a country you not know much about.

Culture that needs law to prevent it from changing?  Cultures don't state things, people do.  But yes, probably best to learn to live like a Thai, in constant fear of prosecution unless you toe the line.

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

Thiss is just another example of foreigners coming to Thailand and thinking they can do whatever they want because they are on a holiday. The Thais do not care what you do in your home country or whether Thai women at the beginning of the 20th Century were bare breasted. anyone who knows anything about Thailand and its current mores knows Thais do not like nudity and immodesty. You see very few Thais even at beaches wearing bikini's. Why is it so hard for foreigners to accept Thai culture for what it is?

Every day we have a different story about a foreigner who disrespects Thailand and acts out- public nudity;  extreme drunkenness; fighting; stealing; having sex in public. If foreigners came to our country and continually disturbed the area and culture- I doubt you would like it. Thais are the same- they are completely disgusted with foreigners behavior and this at times paints all of us with the same brush. There is a difference from having a good time and being boorish; selfish and showing disdain for one's hosts.

Some of your points are valid, but how can you say that Thais do not like immodesty, when in Bangkok (Nana), Pattaya, Phuket and most other resorts, as well as way out in rural areas of the country, the sex industry thrives like no other and please do not tell us that foreigners are to blame, as a great number of Thai men are only too happy to make use of the services on offer, which enables them to continue to thrive even in the low season. Many parents know exactly how their daughters are making their living and how they are able to send money home each month and some even encourage and initiate their daughter's  "career", so it is hard to understand Thails trying to take the high moral ground.  Walking around in a bikini.............oh how disgusting, whereas parading around in a typical "walking street" in skimpy clothing and offering sex to passers by is OK and not "immodest"?

If Thailand is the hub of anything, it has to be utter hypocrisy.

46 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

So many on this board showing their contempt for Thai people; the culture of Thailand and the way Thais live and interact. If  Thailand is so bad and it;s culture and mores so upsetting to so many here- why do you stay? Stop trying to change the Thais- try changing yourself and you might actually be able to adjust. It's no wonder Thais resent Westerners. 

Not at all... but most see Thai hypocrisy for what it is - which you fail to do it seems

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

Posters point out the fact that Thailand has nudity in bars; clubs etc and visible prostitution. The Thai government does not like this type of in your face entertainment and is actively finding ways to curtail it or shut it down. The days of Walking street in Pattaya are numbered; Soi Cowboy and Nana Plaza are soon to be history and the massage parlors are being more and more scrutinized.

While tourist numbers will not go down- Thailand is making a concerted effort to rid itself of dependence on Western Tourists.  How many incidents do you see that involve Chinese tourists or Japanese tourists acting badly as opposed to Westerners.

Westerners continual inappropriate behavior reflect on all of us. Most Thais I talk to are totally disgusted by this type of behavior and frankly speaking wish these type of people would never come to Thailand. There is a certain point in the Thai psyche where if the 'burden' becomes too great- the money becomes inconsequential.

There are so many ridiculous statements in your above post that it is almost impossible to know where to start to combat them.  Suffice it to say that your "THAIDREAM" Avatar says it all.

4 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

Fair play for the bravado, I went to Pai in January couple years ago and it was absolutely freezing.

When your this guys age with a lets say a "lady" who has no problem with the au naturale moment The temperature is but a minor impediment. Friskiness is part of the moment. Our frisky moment has sadly passed to some extent. 

...obvious questions....If it had happened the day before, as well, why didn't the poster address this then...???

....Could he not have informed/warned them...???

....Could they have been, in fact, bathing....???

....Could they have thought they were alone, in a secluded spot, not being spied on/upon...???

....I remember reading about a couple...'busted for making out'....in an alcove.....

...as if they had been followed to that secluded spot...

3 hours ago, sabaii69 said:

The term 'Butt naked' is incorrect although his butt was indeed naked as was the rest of him. The correct term is 'buck naked'. 

language is fluid and the correct form is arguable.

to claim otherwise is pure pedantry.
http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2007/01/is-it-butt-naked-or-buck-naked.html

regarding the nudity common sense should rule, 

Not true- I see Thailand for what it is  It may be hypocrisy to the Western mind but to a Thai it is not hypocrisy.  You do not see Thai girls walking down Sukhumvit road in Bikini's nor do you see Thai women normally cavorting as girls do in the bar areas . All groups of Thai people know what happens on Walking Street or nana Plaza and in their hearts they do not like it but accept it as a part of Thai society.  However, Thai people do not accept foreigners who act out in ways that are not the norm in Thai society. Thai people are very xenophobic and believe their society is the best. That is their right.

As a Westerner there are many things in Thailand that I wish would be different but as a long term resident I accept it and ignore those things that I do not like. After all, it is up to the Thais to mould their society as they see fit and in conjunction with their history and the future they want.

Westerners who are long term residents came here for some reason. Do they really want Thailand to become like the UK, America or Australia.

The best way to live in Thailand is to accept Thai culture and life for what it is and act accordingly Thais will never think like people from the West.-ever.  If you can't accept this- your life in Thailand becomes miserable.

My Thai Dream avatar has no bearing on this discuss or other discussions. I accept Thailand for what it is- the good, the bad and the ugly. When I tell you that this Government is intent on getting rid of Walking Street; Nana Plaza and Cowboy and wanting to change the tourist pattern from Western to Asian I speak from almost 50 years of experience in Thailand and numerous conversations with Thais  and foreigners in all walks of life. No one has to accept my opinion but if you have any history here and you look around it becomes very obvious what is happening. Whether one likes it or not is up to the individual- but it is happening.

5 hours ago, Noji said:

It's kind of sad that displaying the natural human body  seems to generate more reaction and outrage than beating small children and failing to investigate obvious corruption.

Yes many think it is appropriate to show your stuff to children I guess you are one of them.

Retiredandhappyhere

This is rubbish! The very thing you speak so naively abut,is the very thing that brings in the money.Without it Thailand will resort to a place of simply, nice scenery and islands,and many other countries have the same thing.All the backhanders will stop across the board.Do you honestly think that the powers that be will accept that?Every person with their snout in the trough,will never let it happen.Its all very well to be hypocritical and speak against the very thing that keeps them in the elite class.Do you think that the street cop,on his 10.000 a month will automatically be pleased to give up making his tea money? What about the judge that frees a guilty man of graft and then goes home to his mia noi,who has just asked him for a new mercedes? do you think he will automatically become a pillar of virtue,and start trying cases fairly?This country is laced with corruption from the top to the bottom and sex and drugs are a good percentage of it. You say that these holier than thou Thais,wish tourists wouldnt come here?They rub their hands together when they do.

Ive just had a telephone call from the regency Hotel to tell you that the next salvation army meeting will be on saturday,and that tambourines,and soap boxes are optional,oh,and the dry cleaner says "congratulations on your promotion from corporal to colonel and that your uniform will be ready on friday.

They want to have tourists, they like our money... But they don't want to understand that we are more liberated, and have other customs.. I  think this guy has no idea how tourists walk in  many European balnear cities or beaches..! 

4 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

My Thai Dream avatar has no bearing on this discuss or other discussions. I accept Thailand for what it is- the good, the bad and the ugly. When I tell you that this Government is intent on getting rid of Walking Street; Nana Plaza and Cowboy and wanting to change the tourist pattern from Western to Asian I speak from almost 50 years of experience in Thailand and numerous conversations with Thais  and foreigners in all walks of life. No one has to accept my opinion but if you have any history here and you look around it becomes very obvious what is happening. Whether one likes it or not is up to the individual- but it is happening.

TD I agree about the changing the tourist pattern to Asian. But you really think these new Asian Tourists don't use the Services of the sex industry? I'm sorry a lot of them do.

15 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Not true- I see Thailand for what it is  It may be hypocrisy to the Western mind but to a Thai it is not hypocrisy.  You do not see Thai girls walking down Sukhumvit road in Bikini's nor do you see Thai women normally cavorting as girls do in the bar areas . All groups of Thai people know what happens on Walking Street or nana Plaza and in their hearts they do not like it but accept it as a part of Thai society.  However, Thai people do not accept foreigners who act out in ways that are not the norm in Thai society. Thai people are very xenophobic and believe their society is the best. That is their right.

As a Westerner there are many things in Thailand that I wish would be different but as a long term resident I accept it and ignore those things that I do not like. After all, it is up to the Thais to mould their society as they see fit and in conjunction with their history and the future they want.

Westerners who are long term residents came here for some reason. Do they really want Thailand to become like the UK, America or Australia.

The best way to live in Thailand is to accept Thai culture and life for what it is and act accordingly Thais will never think like people from the West.-ever.  If you can't accept this- your life in Thailand becomes miserable.

I agree with a lot of what you say but wish you had not written it while wearing those rose tinted glasses. A while spent working with a few hundred Thai employees might round off your edges a bit.

And no you don't see Thai girls walking down Sukhumvit road in Bikinis bla bla. They prefer to Bigo their bras and panties on YouTube international and the like. 

They have some serious problems up in Pai . A few years ago a a Canadian tourist was murdered by a Thai police man . Luckily he could not bribe himself out of it this time , he tried that before after murdering his girlfriend a few years earlier, his next victim were the Canadian in 2008.  He was sentenced to 37 years in prison ion 2013.  Justice is rare in Thailand but this case had a better outcome than most.

I would never travel to Pai , lots of drugs around and corrupted police. And butt naked westerners. 

Edited by balo

2 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Call Thais hypocritical if you like, but it is their country and they are entitled to be offended by foreigners who behave in a manner which flouts their conventions. Every country makes a distinction between activities acceptable in certain environments (say a bar, strip club or nudist beach) but not others  (i.e. in public places).

Anyone planning to visit Thailand - or any other country for that matter - should have the sense to bone up on how to behave as guests and avoid causing problems. It only takes a click or two on the Internet to learn about the Kingdom's contradictory culture and download a list of Do's and Don'ts.

Clearly this silly willy either didn't bother or simply didn't care if he upset anyone. The same goes for Western visitors who stroll around religious sites in bikinis. Would these idiots expect to get away with acting in the same childish way, assuming the weather was warm enough, in the grounds of Canterbury Cathedral or even at the Serpentine?

Never mind Thais. If my wife and our young family had been picnicking at that particular spot, I am sure we all would have found this young man's behavior offensive. This is why Indecent exposure is against the law not only here but in the UK and many other countries with a more relaxed attitude than Thailand to public nudity.

As the old saying goes, when in Rome do as the Romans do - or stay in your own backyard where flouting cultural norms is less likely to cause an angry reaction. Otherwise, not only foreign visitors but the numerous long-term falang residents here get tarred with the same unrepresentative brush.

5555. ... you said "bone up" ... lol ( instead of lmao, as we've already seen enough "a")

but seriously.... people will always revert to what they have learnt, taught or become accustomed too, as being an acceptable norm.... much like dangerous, irresponsible, suicidal, manic minibus drivers, who are killing people with alarming abandon... but who's idea of normal seems to be unchangable. 

Personally, whilst not likely to get naked in public, I know which I would prefer to see, when out and about.... but unfortunately, I also know which I'm more likely to see... and that (minibus drivers, if y'all didn't get it) is far far far more disgraceful

2 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

So basically you are saying the more people wear a bikini in abnormal places, such as Pai, the sooner this absurd notion of being disrespected by someones clothing will end, after all it did not really take that long for wearing bikinis on Thai beaches to go from being considered disrespectful to being considered normal.  

No I am saying don't be a prat and dress to the occasion. Are you walking in a bikini in the middle of New York, London or Paris?

26 minutes ago, balo said:

They have some serious problems up in Pai . A few years ago a a Canadian tourist was murdered by a Thai police man . Luckily he could not bribe himself out of it this time , he tried that before after murdering his girlfriend a few years earlier, his next victim were the Canadian in 2008.  He was sentenced to 37 years in prison ion 2013.  Justice is rare in Thailand but this case had a better outcome than most.

I would never travel to Pai , lots of drugs around and corrupted police. And butt naked westerners. 

You got a distorted view of Pai.

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Stupid buggers, probably off their heads high on drugs, alcohol.

me thinks you are to old and have forgotten ......ehhh... now that i think about it maybe you never knew what it felt like to be young .......

My goodness- mentioning that Walking Street; Nana and Cowboy might go away has brought out those who obviously have a vested interest in these places.  I never said the sex industry will disappear. It will relocate; become less obvious and dwindle in numbers as the Thai economy advances and less and less people need the industry to stay alive.

I assure Thailand will survive just fine without the garish strips that exist  and those who are corrupt will find many other ways to secure their 'added income'. The World is awash in schemes and ways to extort.

If you haven't noticed the military is in charge and will be for a long time regardless who is 'elected' and the military being highly conservative and a protector of Thai  culture does not like the in your face sex that some find so attractive .   In addition, these 'tourist strips' are centers for other crime such as illegal workers; drugs; blackmail and gambling. Get rid of the strips and you get rid of some of the most obvious crime and debauchery that becomes so public on social media the World over. The powers to be want to restore Thailand's image.

If the changes I outline take place and it hurts Western tourism- those in charge could care less. There are billions of Chinese and other Asians who will make  up the difference. In addition, there is a growing Thai middle class who will also travel domestically and bring in more revenue to places like Pattaya; Chiang Mai and Phuket.

This thread is about appropriate behavior and the media is awash daily with stories of Western tourist ignoring Thai culture and sensitivities.  Because of social Media  these incidents take on a life of their own and reinforce the Thai belief that Western foreigners are rude and crude are mostly drunks and mongers. The Thai psyche is such that once someone becomes more trouble than they are worth- face kicks in and money becomes secondary.