Renew my passport

Hi everybody :)

I just come back from Penang, Malaysia where i ve got my 3rd tourist visa. 

They stamped the visa in red to tell me it will be the last. but my passport is almost full anyway so i have to get a new one.

But then what about the history of my visas ? It will be possible for me to get another visas in Penang or in another country ?

I also wonder if it would be better to renew my passport in BKK or in embassy in Cambodia or Lao...

Any help is welcome ;)

Thanks 

Other embassies and consulates will not normally pay any attention to the stamp on a visa from another location.

When you get a new passport you will have no history of visas that a embassy or consulate can see.

I see not reason whey you would need to apply for your passport in another country.

I had wondered, for example, if you renew your passport in Bangkok and it has many tourist visa stamps in it, then maybe immigration, when the person departs, puts a note or remark in the new book that says this person had a lot of tourist visas in their previous book. Am sure the answer is probably not, but the feeling of uncertainty is still there. I mean they could put a remark if they felt like it isn't it...

1 minute ago, Essecola said:

I had wondered, for example, if you renew your passport in Bangkok and it has many tourist visa stamps in it, then maybe immigration, when the person departs, puts a note or remark in the new book that says this person had a lot of tourist visas in their previous book. Am sure the answer is probably not, but the feeling of uncertainty is still there. I mean they could put a remark if they felt like it isn't it...

They could do but they don't need to.  When you depart on a new passport it is linked to the previous one.  All they do in the passport is record the details of your previous entry.

1 hour ago, Upnotover said:

They could do but they don't need to.  When you depart on a new passport it is linked to the previous one.  All they do in the passport is record the details of your previous entry.

Yes of course immigration has all previous records in the system. I was thinking of it in terms of the next SETV the person applies for. Maybe they could see that updated entry and exit stamp carried over and think, gee, where did that visa come from before? I think they would be able to discern it came from an SETV from somewhere and isn't a transfer of info from a visa exempt entry. Or maybe it isn't worth worrying about, who knows. Maybe they wouldn't care.

3 hours ago, keeniau96 said:

If you are looking for renewal of USA passport and live upcountry it is probably simplest to use the visiting consulate. No need for appointment, usually appear 4 times per year in each of the localities. Check the schedules at USA BKK embassy site.

On the other hand if you are a Brit in a similar situation location-wise you had better brace yourself for a couple of arduous trips to an office building with an extremely silly name somewhere in deepest darkest downtown Bangkok, as required by the dreaded "With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience":sad:

• Like 1

Thanks for the answers guys

I was wondering if it was better to renew my passport in another country because if I do it in Thailand on my next visa run they will see that my passport has been delivered to me in Thailand. I'm afraid it's attracting too much attention.
So if i renew my passport in Cambodia, there will be an exit stamp from Cambodia and entry to Thailand. It's more discreet I think.
But I do not really know ... I feel that it is a little risky to renew it in Thailand.
Do you think this is really useful to do in Cambodia (or Laos)?

edit: i m french citizen btw

Edited by 1ricardsvp

10 hours ago, 1ricardsvp said:

I was wondering if it was better to renew my passport in another country because if I do it in Thailand on my next visa run they will see that my passport has been delivered to me in Thailand. I'm afraid it's attracting too much attention.
So if i renew my passport in Cambodia, there will be an exit stamp from Cambodia and entry to Thailand. It's more discreet I think.
But I do not really know ... I feel that it is a little risky to renew it in Thailand.

As I wrote before I see no problem with you getting your passport here. An embassy or consulate will not care where your new passport was issued when you apply for a visa.

Many people have gotten new passports to erase there history of visas issued by Thai embassies and consulates. It will though not erase your immigration records of entries and departures since they will link your new passport to the old passport the first time you enter the country with it.

14 hours ago, 1ricardsvp said:

I have also considered this point.  The only advantage for renewing elsewhere would seem to be the lack of a transfer of your last Thai Entry (visa or exempt) in evidence in your new passport.  Note that this transferred entry only shows the point of entry and type of entry (ex "tr 60" = 60-day tourist), not where the visa (if a visa) was obtained - however, the point of entry, if by land, would provide a clue as to where that might have been. 

I do not know (have not heard) of a transfer-stamp being counted as a prior-visa when applying for a new tourist-visa from the country bordering the visa-entry point specified in a transfer-stamp.

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I have also considered this point.  The only advantage for renewing elsewhere would seem to be the lack of a transfer of your last Thai Entry (visa or exempt) in evidence in your new passport.  Note that this transferred entry only shows the point of entry and type of entry (ex "tr 60" = 60-day tourist), not where the visa (if a visa) was obtained - however, the point of entry, if by land, would provide a clue as to where that might have been. 

I do not know (have not heard) of a transfer-stamp being counted as a prior-visa when applying for a new tourist-visa from the country bordering the visa-entry point specified in a transfer-stamp.

If the (not Thai) Country where you get the new passport links the new pp to the old one by writing the old pp number into the new one, as they do in Thailand , Thai immigration will still be able to make the connection to the old PP

44 minutes ago, sanemax said:

If the (not Thai) Country where you get the new passport links the new pp to the old one by writing the old pp number into the new one, as they do in Thailand , Thai immigration will still be able to make the connection to the old PP

Agreed that Immigration will know your full history, and see it every time you enter, leave, or visit immigration in Thailand, regardless. 

The only issue I was addressing was the "visa count" at Thai consulates, used to determine if you are allowed to get a new tourist-visa.  AFAIK, getting a new passport and transferring your visa in Thailand does not affect that count.

8 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The only issue I was addressing was the "visa count" at Thai consulates, used to determine if you are allowed to get a new tourist-visa.  AFAIK, getting a new passport and transferring your visa in Thailand does not affect that count.

It does because Embassys have no way of knowing what was in the previous PP

Embassies have no access to immigration records 

14 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It does because Embassys have no way of knowing what was in the previous PP

Embassies have no access to immigration records 

Agreed.  But the question I was addressing, is, does getting your passport renewed out of Thailand change anything with regard to getting new visas, because a transfer in Thailand may show evidence or a previous visa.  So one's in-passport visa-count in the new passport could start at "one" including the transfer, vs "zero" if the new passport is obtained in another country.

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

Agreed.  But the question I was addressing, is, does getting your passport renewed out of Thailand change anything with regard to getting new visas, because a transfer in Thailand may show evidence or a previous visa.  So one's in-passport visa-count in the new passport could start at "one" including the transfer, vs "zero" if the new passport is obtained in another country.

The only benefit is that you will have one less Thai visa in your PP .

When applying for a UK PP you must show some proof of address , and you may not be able to get that proof in another Country