nana plaza back in the day

upside

On 4/4/2017 at 5:15 AM, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

I had searched on Trivago, came up with Nana Hotel $37. $8 in 1967 was much more than $37 is today for sure.

I stayed in the Nana Hotel in 1967 and I seem to recall it was around B80 per night.     They also served you a cold glass of coke when you checked in!

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Early 90s to mid 2000s. I remember seeing Woodstock, but never stayed in it.

Hollywood Royale was my favourite, though Playskool next door was fun too.

In the 90s H R and one other bar were open till after dawn, and I often wished they'd pack it in so I could go to bed. I was having too much fun to want to leave before it was closed.

In those days, BKK was full of rich farang expats working there, and the place was jumping every night. Then the economic crisis happened, and most of the expats lost their jobs, then Purachai happened and he really killed off the good times.

I'll never forget my first night in H R and the "show" started. I couldn't believe that people would actually do all that stuff ( can't describe it as against forum rules ).

In the 90s, the parade of ladies out of Nana at closing times had to be one of the wonders of the world. There was no hanging about on Soi 4 and Sukhumvit like now, so it was either a bar fine, or go to bed alone.

One of the things Purachai did was move the prossies out of the bars and onto the streets, so it backfired on him.

• 10 months later...
On 1/24/2017 at 5:43 PM, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I was in Cowboy about 10 days ago. There are about 5-6 ladyboy bars there now. Thing that has changed is the hustlers, it is as bad as anywhere else now.

Have fun...

That’s not true at all, there are 2 and one of them only opened last month....

On 1/12/2017 at 6:49 PM, Fabricus said:

Wow! What a superb post.

Can you remember the Belgian guy's name?

Also, do you remember when Soi Zero opened?

Soi zero first opened around 1998 if I remember right.

I preferred pat pong in the 90's.

On 1/11/2017 at 3:06 PM, NickJ said:

About thirty years ago. I would guess. I remember when the Plaza was pretty much it on the whole soi. Is the John your referring to English Johnny? The guy that later came to run quite a few of the bars.

Hollywood Johnny I knew well, he had fingers in lots of bars, but his first success was Hollywood Stars. He opened a few more go gos in Nana but packed up and sold out about 10 years ago.

Woodstock belonged to American Peter, but he had investors too. Nice guy, and moved to a new venue but I have no idea if that is still open.

I knew most of the Cowboy and Nana farang bosses in the 90s, and a couple in Pat Pong and Pattaya.

Nothing else on Soi 4 back then, just the Grace Hotel coffee shop (Nana Nua) after hours that wasn't my cup of tea.

Thermae was the best place in those days for a late, late drink.

It was Thaksin who closed down the late drinking venues.

And Soi Zero had the railway track ramshackle bars, the other side of Sukhumvit was Matchim Center and the night market bars either side of the tracks.

All history now.

1 hour ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

And Soi Zero had the railway track ramshackle bars, the other side of Sukhumvit was Matchim Center and the night market bars either side of the tracks.

All history now.

Wow, some memories there indeed.

Soi Zero. One of my most disgusting, barf spewing, pissing myself, loud gagging snot draining chunks of half digested chicken in my beard drunks happened there. Memories. I'd like to do that once more before I go. Maybe I'll try the Westin or Hyatt.

The desk clerk at the Nana Hotel was this hot pre m.i.l.f.  with like a million bracelets. Never forgot those bracelets.

Up on the top floor in the corner of NEP was a bar where all the mongers on the old Nana plaza board hung out. That's where I met Stickman.

5 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

The desk clerk at the Nana Hotel was this hot pre m.i.l.f.  with like a million bracelets. Never forgot those bracelets.

I think she is still there. Dyed black hair and white makeup now?

4 minutes ago, GBK said:

I think she is still there. Dyed black hair and white makeup now?

No idea haven't stepped foot in the place since 1990s.

But nothing is worse than seeing what the ravages of time do to a hot chick. Like my old gfs who friend me on Facebook,I'd prefer to remember them as they were. Gee...gulp...you look....um....great!

2 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Isn't that what was previously known as Buckskin Joe's Village?

If so, it already looked old when I arrived in 1990.

Agreed, it was Buckskin Joe's and did look old when I arrived just after you.

Belgian Bob and Det 5 was next to a bar that I used to use, but I can't remember it's name now. A couple of great girls in there as I remember.

10 hours ago, thedemon said:

Isn't that what was previously known as Buckskin Joe's Village?

If so, it already looked old when I arrived in 1990.

Well remembered, when they knocked down the night market in about '88 they built Buckskin Joe's in Matchim, the other side of the railway track. (Matchim was under the express-way and there was an apartment building deep at the back, a snooker hall and a tourist centre at the front.)

Where the night market was became a new road for a WTO meeting in about '90.

Anyone remember the little bar beside the magazine stall next to the railway crossing?

11 hours ago, GBK said:

Agreed, it was Buckskin Joe's and did look old when I arrived just after you.

Belgian Bob and Det 5 was next to a bar that I used to use, but I can't remember it's name now. A couple of great girls in there as I remember.

Upstairs on the left there was Hog's Breath and Lady Night.  Hollywood Stars was my favourite.

Det 5 I remember vaguely but DC 10 is still going I think, and of course Casanova, the original lady boy bar in Nana.

Ah, mammaries from the past!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 10:29 PM, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Maybe you need to learn how to count.

I can think of 4 and many other bars that have Katoys.

????????????‍❤️‍????‍????

Really? I like to know which ones..

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Toosetinmyways said:

One of the first bars in Nana if not the first was ran by a Scotsman. Can't remember the name. Second floor in the middle left side. He committed suicide in the bar. Trade seemed to drop off after then.

Farang Connection?

On 1/12/2017 at 12:08 PM, possum1931 said:

The first time I went to Soi 4, I was on my own, I had read and heard about Nana Plaza, and I walked about half the length of the Soi and back down the other side, when I saw these go go bars, and walking past them, I actually thought I was in Nana Plaza, it wasn't until the second time I went there, that I realised I had walked straight past the entrance without knowing that it was Nana Plaza. This would have been about 2005.

How were the  girls? 

On 1/14/2017 at 8:02 PM, NickJ said:

I feel kinda sorry for all the idiots that still think it's some kind of paradise. Glad I didn't miss the boat in regards to its hey day.

You don't get it. Any newbie that lands in nana, soi cowboy, soi6 and walking st will think its paradise ! 

Just like you did a 100 years ago

On 6/23/2019 at 5:23 PM, ExpatNP said:

Farang Connection?

No, it had a name like Stewart's Bar or similar. Became Sexy Nights later.

Someone said that Woodstock was a go go bar I can't remember it being that. Remember the full size pool table. Kim Fletcher had the White Rabbit ground floor below. best western food at the time.

Any old timers on here remember or played with IN2XS the farang darts team based in Nana Plaza

I was a Soi Cowboy man, remember Nana opened mid 80's.

As more of a daytime drinker I came to appreciate the Golden Beer Bar across the road, almost part of Nana Hotel.

The area was owned by Khun Nana a Thai citizen of Indian origin, he was a Sheik, and the tailor I used Raja was part of the family.

The family home was a white timber hose on Sukhumvit located say 500 mts from where the cross over the Superhighway, and then about 100 mts back from Sukhumvit Rd.

An elderly yank I used to drink with assured me that when he first came to BBB with US Air Force in early 60's the area was Orange Orchards, that the Eastern bus station was where the Superhighway crossover was located and that apart from the orchards and rice field there was nothing until you reached amphure Phra Kanong.

Had some good times in Nana over the years, but as I said I was a Cowboy man, always that little bit cheaper and I knew many of the Old Style Mamasans from that street.

john

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 4:36 PM, Nyezhov said:

No idea haven't stepped foot in the place since 1990s.

But nothing is worse than seeing what the ravages of time do to a hot chick. Like my old gfs who friend me on Facebook,I'd prefer to remember them as they were. Gee...gulp...you look....um....great!

True. I had had a one night with some gogo dancer from Nana Plaza years ago, and forgot all about her ( I liked her sister better ). So, this rather old looking, very ravaged by time woman accosts me and asks if I remember her. I hadn't recognised her, but she remembered me on the basis of one night. After some prodding I did know who she was. So, I was going to give her 1,000 baht to go away as she was very aggressive, and she asked for 500, which I was happy to give, and she vanished, never to be seen by me again. I do not remember what I spent the 500 I didn't give her on. Time was not kind to her.

5 hours ago, jonwilly said:

I was a Soi Cowboy man, remember Nana opened mid 80's.

As more of a daytime drinker I came to appreciate the Golden Beer Bar across the road, almost part of Nana Hotel.

The area was owned by Khun Nana a Thai citizen of Indian origin, he was a Sheik, and the tailor I used Raja was part of the family.

The family home was a white timber hose on Sukhumvit located say 500 mts from where the cross over the Superhighway, and then about 100 mts back from Sukhumvit Rd.

An elderly yank I used to drink with assured me that when he first came to BBB with US Air Force in early 60's the area was Orange Orchards, that the Eastern bus station was where the Superhighway crossover was located and that apart from the orchards and rice field there was nothing until you reached amphure Phra Kanong.

Had some good times in Nana over the years, but as I said I was a Cowboy man, always that little bit cheaper and I knew many of the Old Style Mamasans from that street.

john

My first Thai long time GF worked in Tilac when it was a quiet place, and a nice bar to hang out in. The farang owner was always in his corner by one of the gogo stands playing some ?card game ( I forget- old age ) with his mates.

I always stayed at the Carlton Hotel near by, but that went long ago, so I moved to Dynasty Inn on Soi 4, and became a Nana Plaza customer.

Some years later it became the fluorescent blue hell hole it probably still is, but it was great when it was great.

The GF lasted 4 years, then she left to be a house maid, but came back to be a service girl. I used to drop by every trip just to say hello, but that stopped when I got married.

Archived