nana plaza back in the day

upside

51 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Hwumm, I have just seen it. The block somehow left his replies open.

I would ask him if it's the same Rik who took over Hollywood Stars with Ken Warner as manager, and later took over management of Nana Disco?

If it is, I knew him well enough for 4-5 years or more, and I bet he would remember me too!

I never had a serious cross word with Rik, but I did give him some advice, which he always took an board and acted on it when he thought I had a good point. We were not great pals but always got on well. A nice guy.

I thought he might be Ken's son, as Ken managed for Johnny when he got started.

Anyway, sorry if I made you a go-between, but I was a bit annoyed Upside wasn't playing ball, just implying I was some sort of nut case.

:jap:

You giving my dad advice lol see now you're just talking total rubbish

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 01/19/2017 at 7:07 AM, Wilsonandson said:

It's all to do with bringing back memories. I've enjoyed my trip down memory lane. As for pictures and videos I've posted I thank everyones I have used. The seedy side of Bangkok and other parts of Thailand are also part of Thai history and culture. Great times I've spent and also not so great. It's nice to chat and remember these times before I kick the bucket. Great thread topic upside. Thanks to everyone for their contributions. Enjoyed so much.

Me too!

On 12/01/2017 at 3:33 PM, upside said:

I've been listening to my dad's stories from nana and trying to put a time line together. He started the Hollywood bars first was Hollywood royale in nana along with another guy called Johnny and 1 other that started a bar called Thriller, his name was Michael Jackson hence the name but another guy from the Eva air family was also involved and together they pushed nana into the 3 storeys its today

Now according to my dad there was only 1 place in nana at the time and I've forgotten the name but the food was ok he said perhaps an English bar that Johnny had started 

Anyhow I'm just trying to piece it all together 

Any help welcome 

I always thought perhaps wrongly it was Cathay Pacific not EVA.

On 12/01/2017 at 3:33 PM, upside said:

I've been listening to my dad's stories from nana and trying to put a time line together. He started the Hollywood bars first was Hollywood royale in nana along with another guy called Johnny and 1 other that started a bar called Thriller, his name was Michael Jackson hence the name but another guy from the Eva air family was also involved and together they pushed nana into the 3 storeys its today

Now according to my dad there was only 1 place in nana at the time and I've forgotten the name but the food was ok he said perhaps an English bar that Johnny had started 

Anyhow I'm just trying to piece it all together 

Any help welcome 

Thriller was opened and owned by Matt Swire of the Cathay Pacific and Swire Pacific Offshore family.  He had a manager running it call Michael (maybe Mike Quigley? Not sure about the surname after all these years)

Kim, had been running the White Rabbit restaurant in the corner, but was already running Jools by the time I got there in 1988.

The two restaurants in Nana Plaza were the Abu Khalil Lebanese in the bottom left corner and the Star German place in the middle on the left.

The thing that always stuck me about your dad was how impeccably turned out he always was. Always a crisply ironed shirt and trousers, with proper shoes.  You don't see that anywhere else, especially these days.

24 minutes ago, GBK said:

Thriller was opened and owned by Matt Swire of the Cathay Pacific and Swire Pacific Offshore family.  He had a manager running it call Michael (maybe Mike Quigley? Not sure about the surname after all these years)

Kim, had been running the White Rabbit restaurant in the corner, but was already running Jools by the time I got there in 1988.

The two restaurants in Nana Plaza were the Abu Khalil Lebanese in the bottom left corner and the Star German place in the middle on the left.

The thing that always stuck me about your dad was how impeccably turned out he always was. Always a crisply ironed shirt and trousers, with proper shoes.  You don't see that anywhere else, especially these days.

He loved the life but said he was glad to be out.  These days he doesn't live in Thailand but still holidays there a few times a year But doesn't dress quite like you describe these days 

5 hours ago, GBK said:

If you remember Rick that well, then I would say we are talking about the same person. Can you confirm please?

I would think from what you say you know Peter from Checkers too (ex-Old Bull in Patpong car park).

6 hours ago, overherebc said:

I always thought perhaps wrongly it was Cathay Pacific not EVA.

Last time I had a beer with him was a good few years ago and he was doing 'something' with a cruise ship company, Star or Star Lines or something like that. Can't remember if we met in Jools or Elles Bells in Buckskin Joes but he did like B52's at the time.

8 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I was in Cowboy about 10 days ago. There are about 5-6 ladyboy bars there now. Thing that has changed is the hustlers, it is as bad as anywhere else now.

Have fun...

Ladyboys are vile and aggressive creatures. They should be restricted to zones.

49 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Ladyboys are vile and aggressive creatures. They should be restricted to zones.

Not to go off topic but they are not unlike a lot of Yob fortnight millionaires that visit Bangkok, Pattaya and Phucket every year from overseas.

In my mind many people who protest too much about something should have a good inward look at themselves.

Read what it says in the centre part of the crest on a British passport.

I'm not a ladyboy lover or hater, they are just, maybe a bit too much, part of the scene it seems in Nana and Cowboy.

15 hours ago, overherebc said:

Not to go off topic but they are not unlike a lot of Yob fortnight millionaires that visit Bangkok, Pattaya and Phucket every year from overseas.

In my mind many people who protest too much about something should have a good inward look at themselves.

Read what it says in the centre part of the crest on a British passport.

I'm not a ladyboy lover or hater, they are just, maybe a bit too much, part of the scene it seems in Nana and Cowboy.

Thailand is full of transgenders, and in general they are completely accepted as they behave well in normal working conditions.

I think we need to see the difference between the types. Those in the sex trade are a nasty lot by a large majority.

I agree though, it would be better if tourists that can't tell the difference are warned in advance as to what they are looking at. Many bars do that now actually, but on the street it is another matter.

Yob tourists are a fact of life, Spain has had it's share, now they go further afield. (Don't forget the women can act as disgracefully as the men.)

On 25/01/2017 at 6:43 AM, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I was in Cowboy about 10 days ago. There are about 5-6 ladyboy bars there now. Thing that has changed is the hustlers, it is as bad as anywhere else now.

Have fun...

Errr, there is just one, Cockatoo, and it has a large sign out the front declaring it as the only ladyboy bar in Soi Cowboy.

4 minutes ago, mstevens said:

Errr, there is just one, Cockatoo, and it has a large sign out the front declaring it as the only ladyboy bar in Soi Cowboy.

Okay, so you checked out all the other bars, and no katoys to be seen?

I believe you. That sign must be true then.

Thanks for the info.

Please note everyone.

On Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 1:08 PM, possum1931 said:

The first time I went to Soi 4, I was on my own, I had read and heard about Nana Plaza, and I walked about half the length of the Soi and back down the other side, when I saw these go go bars, and walking past them, I actually thought I was in Nana Plaza, it wasn't until the second time I went there, that I realised I had walked straight past the entrance without knowing that it was Nana Plaza. This would have been about 2005.

Half pie funny anecdote but the op talking about back in the day not yesterday...

Archived