Motorbike travel around Vietnam

chrissables

Whilst there I walked into China, if the sign is to be believed. The sign said “Border Belt”. I didn’t walk far due to it being steep jungle and I was wearing sandals.

Leaving the cave I followed the Chinese border to Tra Linh, then South to Quang Uyen. Yet another good days ride.

A remote Chinese / Vietnamese border crossing area.  

DSC_0511.JPG

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The road was badly deteriorated due to the heavy goods vehicles using the back roads to avoid border control.

On top of that my ankle burn was hurting. I was glad to return Cao Bang. A good if hard day!

The only way to the other side of the mountain! 

DSC_0669.JPG

Day 37. Oct 21. 140 km

Cao Bang to Lang Son. The motorbike stopped 10 meters after leaving the hotel, due to my burn I could not manually kick start it, so the local Honda dealership, sent someone to sort it free of charge.

I had a pleasant ride to Lang Son.

Day 38. Oct 22. 180 km

Lang Son to Bac Son. Great ride up Mau Son Mountain.

A great scenic ride on this road to the summit of Mau Son Mountain. 

DSC_0705.JPG

Day 39. 23 Oct. 264 km

Bac Son to Cho Ra

Hard day today, but started good. I did a 70 km loop in Bac Son Valley, very rural with authentic Hill Tribe people everywhere.

Then off to Cho Ra, Showers and bad sign posting made it a drudge, followed by an hour of trying to find a certain hotel that did food etc. Gave up, will move on tomorrow, which was not my plan.

In the countryside South of Bac Son.

DSC_0732.JPG

There is a well paved road that cuts down towards Bac Kan from the home stay area of the lake. I enjoyed the road as much as any on the trip. Single lane through rural Vietnam at its best!

This river running from Ba Be lake was being dredged for building sand in many places. Such a beautiful area. 

DSC_0755.JPG

I decided to carry on from Bac Kan to Thai Nguyen, for an easy day into Hanoi tomorrow, traffic permitting! Dreading getting lost in the one way system!

Day 41. Oct 25. 80 KM

Thai Nguyen to Hanoi.

Drizzle this morning for my ride to Hanoi.

As I entered the suburbs of Hanoi a taxi driver pointed me in the right direction to the old quarter. I stopped at a petrol station and a customer there said “follow me”. Took me directly to the lake there, what a result!

Rode around until I found a small hotel in the area. Checked in for some much needed relaxing and good food.

Day 42. Oct 26. Hanoi

Great fun walking around the lake in the old quarter.

St Joseph Cathedral, near Hoan Kiem lake, Hanoi.

DSC_0782.JPG

Archived