Motorbike travel around Vietnam

chrissables

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 0:49 PM, ddotmark said:

Did you notice the Swastika on the chest of the Buddha. Any idea why this is here?  Any special meaning?

Chinese Buddhism, it's a symbol of the power of light over darkness (good over evil) if I remember right. You see it on many Chinese temples in Thailand, Malaysia and especially Singapore and Hong Kong.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/12/2017 at 0:00 PM, chrissables said:

I think it was filmed not far from there. China beach maybe. I will google it later.

Apoc Now was filmed in the Philippines,not long after the American War finished.No way the Vietnamese were going to let the Yanks make a film in Vietnam about how they won the war.Even though A N was not about that.

On 1/13/2017 at 6:57 AM, chrissables said:

Hi Bulldozer,

As near as i can tell if you open the link below you are on the road Jungle beach is very near where i took the photo. It's a pleasant motorbike ride from Nha Trang.

China beach i am sure is famous for surfing, that is in Da Nang further North.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1119789-d1119651-Reviews-Jungle_Beach_VietNam-Ninh_Phuoc_Binh_Thuan_Province.html#MAPVIEW

Your right.I surfed there Sept last year.THe locals told me it was only rideable Sept/Oct.

On 1/13/2017 at 9:27 AM, klauskunkel said:

I just read all 8 pages, once I started I couldn't stop. Great trip report, thanks for sharing your experience and cool, cool pix!

When i take a lot of photos of Indo and Nepal,the pics don't do the view justice,same as Vietnam.It is heaps better when your there.

On 1/13/2017 at 1:01 PM, elgordo38 said:

Enjoyed your presentation very much. It is about as close as I will ever come to seeing Viet Nam. Thank you very much. I know things were rugged with hotels having not food or ice and you were upset but think of how lucky you were to see these places before masses of tourists flooded in and trampled it down. I thought about living in Viet Nam but I will stay in Thailand. It has just enough creature comforts to suit my aging body. 

I think you will find where Chris went in Vietnam most of the trip was very remote.You would have the same problems in Th.Around the coast,it is the same as Th if not better.

On 1/14/2017 at 6:21 AM, chrissables said:

Hi Bulldozer, i was there at the end of November/early December. The actual date is on the original posting.

There was food available even in the remotest of areas, but only one time did i eat in those places. Dingy and no light suggested no fridges too, to i would not eat rather than be on a bile trip with an iffy stomach. Water, no idea, i never bought any. But as a rule, the same or cheaper in Vietnam than Thailand.

Camping should not be an issue if that's your thing. For more info on that check out www.vietnamcoracle.com  The guy who writes it actually does camp there on his trips sometimes. 

I never at one time felt threatened or worried about my safety. In the rural areas they are so happy to meet foreigners and if they have English skills they really want to chat and learn about you and your trip.

I think you would find Sept/Oct a better time to go.I had no rain except a bit of drizzle in Sapa.It can snow in Dec/Jan in Sapa.

3 hours ago, louse1953 said:

I think you would find Sept/Oct a better time to go.I had no rain except a bit of drizzle in Sapa.It can snow in Dec/Jan in Sapa.

HI, Bulldozer was asking about the beach and surfing. I actually am not sure of the best time for that.

Sa Pa certainly gets a lot colder into Jan, feb time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived