Motorbike travel around Vietnam

chrissables

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 46. Oct 30. 126 km

Hanoi to Hai Phong, a cold wet ride. Due to the one way system it took me an hour to find my way out of Hanoi.

Day 47. Oct 31. Ferry to Cat Ba.

Cat Ba Island is the gateway to Ha Long Bay.

Buy a ferry ticket, buy a bike ticket, pay to load the bike on the ferry roof. Arrive, pay before they take off! Reminds me of Thailand.

The view from my Hotel at Cat Ba.  

DSC_0872.JPG

Well,  you went ahead and did it, chrissables, in more ways than one.    First you've created one of if not the most enjoyable thread I've read since I've been a member of TV.      And secondly, you achieved what I suspect was a long time dream/goal instead of just wanting and talking about it.

I'll post regarding several individual photos  as time goes by but I'd like to start off with your age.  

Until you posted a few snaps which I assume are of you, I figured you are in your early 20's.      I think I was mistaken.    I was going to commend you for grabbing the bull by the horns and accomplishing such a feat at an youthful age before it becomes a harder to realize thing.   I think you  did even better..

If you don't mind would you please give an approximate idea of your age?

I haven't read your thread completely and carefully yet but I will.       I don't see a year of travel.     You give the month and day but what year was this.

Did you make the journey as a solo traveler?    You mentioned the ha long bay trip was expensive because you were solo but what about the entire trip.

Did you  rely on maps or a GPS?

I pretty much fell in love with Vietnam but I admittedly  was there for only 22 days.     The one and a major one for me was the internet which I've been told is bungled by the Vietnam government.     On a "back of the bike" tour the fellow driving me  talked about how horrible the internet in Vietnam is.        When I had a blank box obstructing my phone screen and moving around on it  he just said that's the government doing that.   

How did you  find the internet in Vietnam?

3 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Actually i could not find the really gruesome photo, it is nearly healed here. Just the wrong place for a burn because its a joint. 

Yeah, mine was my own fault. Right on the ankle, started off the size of a little finger nail, now i've got deep scar tissue about 2" x 3". Took off and on 3 months to heal and a bunch of meds and daily cleansing (ouch!!) and re-dressing at the local clinic.

3 hours ago, chrissables said:

Day 1.  Thursday Sept 15th.

I arrived yesterday in Ho Chi Minh, for the start of a new trip. 
I needed to pay the outstanding amount on the motorbike. PayPal, would not work!

Checking details on yahoo, could not log in!

Opened a Transferwise account, Nationwide UK refused to send my money as it was cash! (was not)

So I decided to have a few beers, taxi could not find a bar! And overcharged!

2nd taxi the same!

Found a bar on my own a few minute walk from the hotel that the hotel did not know was there!

Arrived at the hotel in a slightly (very) drunken state!

The hotel was locked up for the night!

Found my bed 21 hours after getting up, slept well!

Tomorrow i start my trip up the Ho Chi Minh road to the Chinese border. Hopefully no more issues!

Day 2. Friday Sept 16.

Sorting baggage and plastic covering. And how to pack my bags!

Day 3. Saturday Sept 17.

Riding 11 hrs   397km

I paid a motorbike taxi to show me out of the middle of HCM, best money spent! No idea where I was.

It was total mayhem, every bike, car, truck and bus beeping horns, gridlocked but flowing! If that makes sense? Great fun once relaxed.

I found the Ho Chi Minh Road and due to not paying attention the Ho Chi Minh trail, but no dammed Ho’s, maybe next time!

Found a really great new road heading North alongside the Cambodian border, just like a roller coaster, sweeping up and down, left to right, so realistic in fact you had your photo taken and could pay for it! Well in my case pay the fine for speeding and the photo was not framed, how bad is that? But after showing my total unawareness of the offense, I was let go. Acting dumb is so easy for me! Back on the road just in time for 3 hours of thunderstorms in the highlands.

For people paying attention and using google maps I am at Buon Ma Thuot, the main coffee growing area of Vietnam, I believe. Having a cold beer and preparing for tomorrows ride.

Did you place this on a blog as you went along.    "For people paying attention and using google maps"

Did you spend just two days in HCMC?

"So I decided to have a few beers, taxi could not find a bar! And overcharged!"    

I had to laugh about  the   taxi overcharge the Missus and I paid from the War museum to the  Opera House.    The overcharge was far more than the total ride should have been.   I wasn't mindful of the taxi colors  when we entered the taxi although I think  this guy did have some green on his taxi.   He would not take us to our hotel as I think he knew he'd  have grief from the doormen.   He dropped us off a few blocks from the hotel while claiming the  one way streets caused by the underground construction caused the problem

Day 50, 51. Nov 3,4.

Relaxed around the island.

Day 52.  Nov 5. 376 km

Cat Ba to Vinh was long hard day. The bike was stuck on roof of hydrofoil and I had to wait for them to change piers to be able to unload it.

I arrived at Vinh in the dark. The room was good but expensive.

I did not want to ride down the ramp!

20161105_084739.jpg

Just now, watcharacters said:

Did you place this on a blog as you went along.    "For people paying attention and using google maps"

Did you spend just two days in HCMC?

"So I decided to have a few beers, taxi could not find a bar! And overcharged!"     I had to laugh about  the   taxi overcharge from the War museum to the  Opera House.    The overcharge was far more than the total ride should have been.   I wasn't mindful of the taxi colors although this guy did have some green on his taxi.   He would not take us to his hotel as I think he knew he would have grief from the doormen.   He dropped us off a few blocks from the hotel.

No, i made notes and am just posting now. Although i did post on facebook as i went.

The taxi episode was as much my fault as theirs. But you live and learn!

Day 53. Nov 6. 370km

Vinh to Hue. I had an early start, the traffic was good on AH1 Road good too.

I managed to get the bike serviced on route.

The last 170 km bad rain, cleared as arrived Hue.

Day 54-58. Nov 7-11

Around Hue, the Citadel, Pagoda and Tuan Beach.

The entrance to Hue Citadel. 

DSC_0272.JPG

Archived