Motorbike travel around Vietnam

chrissables

The road was a slow road, real rustic with all kinds of animals wandering about, produce being dried and pot holes everywhere. To slow me down even more I was given so many differing directions I eventually gave up as the next part of the ride was about 80km along a single track lane through the mountains. Need to start a ride like that earlier.

Isolated here!  

DSC_0275.JPG

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 20. Tuesday 04 Oct. 180 km

As leaving Yen Bai I spotted a motorbike seat shop. 8.30 am and already open. Had the seat modified due to not being comfortable, done and dusted 40 minutes, impressed!

An easy day followed riding along the valley up to the Lao Cai, Hekou Vietnamese/Chinese border.

The bike toppled as I was getting on after checking out a hotel. I burnt my right ankle badly on the exhaust.

Day 21. Wednesday 05 Oct. 163 km

Today I rode a loop from Lao Cai North West on road TL156 along the Chinese border to Trurong Mam Non Y Ty and back. A seriously good ride off the beaten track, over high mountains through Hill tribe villages.

China on the opposite river bank, near Lao Cai. 

DSC_0287.JPG

Day 22.  06 Oct. 160 km

Lao Cai to Xin Man. Light rain in Lao Cai this morning as I crossed the Red River, which was brown! I was a little concerned as rain and the mountains don’t mix on a motorbike. But besides bad visibility and the cold high in the mountains, no problem.

A bridge over the Red River near the Chinese border, Lao Cai. 

DSC_0308.JPG

My original plan to stay at Muong Khuong was cancelled as I arrived too early. Bac Ha my next stop was also early, so I decided to carry on to Xin Man. Tremendous views ruined by the weather.

This area is extremely remote near the Chinese border.

High in the mountains, cold and wet! The road I am heading to is just visible in the valley. About 1,650 meters, 5,400 feet high.

DSC_0319.JPG

Day 23. 07 Oct. 155 km

Xin Man to Ha Giang via Hoang Su Phi and Bac Quang. What a ride, spectacular views all the way to Bac Quang, a bit too hazy for good photo’s, but great ride!

I decided to give this bridge a miss! 

DSC_0332.JPG

The roads were full of young Vietnamese motorbike rider’s mostly heading the same way. Apparently they ride here from Hanoi to see the mountains, and book all the hotel rooms!

I arrived tired and thirsty to find no rooms available in the whole town. Turned away from four different hotels and told to try a home stay. Home stay! Long way to go! Tried one last hotel which had one room remaining……..VIP!

I bit the bullet as I did not want to sleep on the street! 1,400,000 vnd. Then they wanted my “permit”! I knew about this, but hoped to avoid paying to be in Vietnam again. It reminds me of Thailand, pay for a visa, pay to leave, pay pay…. So although I paid for a three month visa, I had to pay again for a “permit” to stay.

Well the room was great huge living room and bedroom, better than the street!

Nice living room! 

DSC_0395.JPG

Day 25. 09 Oct. 149km

Dong Van to Bao Lac. Ieft Dong Van this morning to go to the most Northern point in Vietnam, Lung Cu. It’s 20/30 minute walk from the car park to the top but worth it. I later found out you can ride to five minutes from the top, but needed the exercise! I should go back often, the amount of beautiful, young Vietnamese ladies asking for photo’s with me kept me happy! But as I was breathing hard after the walk, they probably thought I was an old pervert, again!

Stunning views ruined by the haze! 

DSC_0407.JPG

Day 27. Oct 11. 83km

From Cao Bang I took a pleasant round trip to Quang Uyen. On the return trip I took a small side road where I had a chance to see and meet the locals. Really an enjoyable day.

Nice meeting (getting mugged by) the local school kids. 

DSC_0467.JPG

Day 28. Oct 12, 140km about

Due North from Cao Bang to Pac Bo Cave on the Chinese border. The cave is where Ho Chi Mihn stayed when arriving back from exile. This is the beginning or end of the Ho Chi Minh Road.1880 km. I have ridden most but not all of it. The Pac Bo Cave and surrounding area are well worth visiting.

The start of the Ho Chi Minh Road. 

DSC_0486.JPG

Archived